Most Important Aspects of getting an interview???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, based on this thread, would you say this was a rare case where a LOR made the difference?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the LoR was indicative of the judgement shown throughout the application.
Thus, as in my example, it made no difference.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
While some of the stories about these funny letters are amusing, I'll be boring and definitively say the answer is your stats (MCAT/GPA). ECs are important too, but if you don't get in because of your ECs you can always just do more hours. If you mess up your academics, it takes a LOT more effort to come back from that.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the worst that I can remember was a woman who tried to convey that because she was a good mom, that she'd be a good doctor. She even had her son write a LOR for her!
Please tell me you invited him and his mother for an interview.

being an underrepresented minority and having saved an indigenous population, while also having a high MCAT score, GPA and having some kind of disability or life altering experience.

They often bring it up to explain a gap year.
Why not just say “I took a gap year” instead of throwing yourself under the bus? Applicants, man.

Reactions: 1 users
What are the most important parts of ones application when considering getting an interview? (LORs, PS, extracurriculars, GPA, MCAT, secondaries)
You basically have to look good on paper to be considered for an interview. This means portraying yourself, on paper, as the school's ideal applicant, and as everyone else has already mentioned, which is completely correct, everything you listed matters. It is also correct that any little red flag you unwittingly raise in any of those can prevent you from being considered for an interview.

Also keep in mind, the interview is essentially so the school can make sure the way you are in person matches how you presented on paper (and of course to ask you some other questions that weren't already answered in the application).

I really think this depends on the school. I wouldn't be surprised if NYU didn't even look at LoRs or PS's before sending IIs (at least the first batch) and instead just made sure you had good research and the obligatory 522+/3.9+, lol.

As an applicant from a ivy near NYC sending a lot of people to NYU, I can tell you that a lot of people who are clearly going to be denied post-interview (or if someone just read their apps) have gotten IIs at NYU and other stat loving schools.

I think this is largely a reason why some people get into a few of the stat schools then fail to get IIs at other more holistic schools, from top to mid.
Yeah, NYU literally has like a 20% post-II acceptance rate lmao. They just send out the automatic interviews to catch all the high stat applicants.

Yeah, NYU literally has like a 20% post-II acceptance rate lmao. They just send out the automatic interviews to catch all the high stat applicants.
My N=1 didn't get interview from NYU despite 100th percentile stats.

My N=1 didn't get interview from NYU despite 100th percentile stats.
Semi-automatic interviews then LOL. They do some screening but the consensus is that it isn't too thorough because they have already sent out loads of interviews.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, it's a complete crapshoot. I had a very poor MCAT score of 496. Ended up getting 4 interviews (2 MD and 2 DO), with 2 acceptances and 2 waitlists. I ended up getting into a good MD school and have been doing quite well (Step 1: 241). Granted, the rest of my application was really solid, but it just goes to show that you never know what a school will tout as their most important qualities. I ended up applying to 28 schools (19 MD and 9 DO) that had a minimum MCAT score lower than mine, or didn't have a minimum at all. This seemed to work out well for me. I would suggest doing a similar approach if there is a glaring weakness, and this way you don't waste time and money on schools that will flat-out say nope. If you get accepted, then you've played it well. If you don't, then work on your weaknesses and come back stronger... It's not as difficult as some people on this forum site tend to make it seem. I have a buddy at my medschool that applied 3 times to our school. He openly admits about his first 2 times that his application was weak and he was a bit immature. He worked on things and is now in the MD/PhD program... Bottom line, don't freak out. Work hard on putting your best foot forward. Continue to persevere if you don't get accepted the first time. AND BY ALL MEANS, don't listen to people on here that just want to poo-poo everyone's chances. There are tons of schools; it only takes one to say yes. Best of luck.