most pharmacy schools like diversity so will i have a good chance if i'm from...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintleif

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Florida? i was reading charts from various 0-6 pharmacy schools and they all said that they admit atleast 70% from their own state and then smaller percentages from other random states, but Florida has never been mentioned. and i've heard people talk about how they love diversity so....although i'm not racially diverse from most of the students would being from here help me at all, with of course good GPA, SATs etc. or do they not really care?

Members don't see this ad.

Florida? i was reading charts from various 0-6 pharmacy schools and they all said that they admit atleast 70% from their own state and then smaller percentages from other random states, but Florida has never been mentioned. and i've heard people talk about how they love diversity so....although i'm not racially diverse from most of the students would being from here help me at all, with of course good GPA, SATs etc. or do they not really care?

I don't know... maybe the reason there are no students from Florida is because Florida students don't really apply there as often as other students from places like the midwest, etc. It seems like all the 0-6 schools are really far away and a lot of high school students here dream of attending undergrad somewhere like UF, FSU, UM, etc and then applying to one of the pharm schools here or someplace close like Georgia. I think if you have great stats then you should have the same chance as any other student from those random states. They might see some diversity from you if you have a unique activity or extracurricular that no one else does. I know my high school has a spearfishing and wakeboarding club because it's on an island, but I don't know how relevant that is to pharmacy school. You just need to make yourself interesting and prove you are capable.

I don't think being from Florida will help you in any way.

It might even hurt your chances! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think being from Florida will help you in any way.

It might even hurt your chances! :scared:

Care to elaborate? It might hurt if they favor in-state but I don't think adcoms would be prejudiced against Floridians. Texans think they're awesome but so do we ;)

I'm not sure if thats what they meant about diversity. . .usually they mean culturally and more specifically ethicity/race. . . I don't mean that in a bad way to. . no one get your panties in a bunch (i'm half chinese and half puerto rican so no one knows better then me! lol)

The only way being out of state will help you is that most schools won't ask you to an interview unless they are serious because they see you have to travel from so far away. At least thats what I've seen.

Here's an interesting sub-question: does the pharmacy school definition of "diversity" include GLBT folks?

Here's an interesting sub-question: does the pharmacy school definition of "diversity" include GLBT folks?
i highly doubt it. pharmacy is way too conservative.... i mean did you check out the piercing /tattoos post? ....:rolleyes:

So you're asking if people will think you're "diverse" because you're from Florida...

Yeah, sure. I bet it would be pretty groundbreaking from a diversity standpoint if an MR student got into pharmacy school!

I asked the same question on this forum about LGBT- you can search for it. I didn't write about LGBT in my supps which I later regretted since I found out UMN had a whole pharmacy multicultural student organization do a presentation/meeting on transgender issues. I also found out it is one of the most gay friendly universities. I still got on their ranked waitlist though. I think you just have to be careful which schools you mention it to. I am sure it would be ok in some cali schools and definitely at some east coast schools. I mean, places like harvard have had numerous Point Scholars (a prestigious LGBT scholarship). Of course, you cannot mention it to religious schools or some conservative state schools.

You should be careful with that because there are plenty of people who have no issue or opinion on/with glbt except when someone who is glbt decides to broadcast it, as in "hey, i'm glbt and i'm going to wear it like a badge into every social setting to make sure you all know about it". that can be annoying. same as if a guy were to come in and start talking about how much he likes women and likes his existing equipment :)

You should be careful with that because there are plenty of people who have no issue or opinion on/with glbt except when someone who is glbt decides to broadcast it, as in "hey, i'm glbt and i'm going to wear it like a badge into every social setting to make sure you all know about it". that can be annoying. same as if a guy were to come in and start talking about how much he likes women and likes his existing equipment :)

I agree- it is sorta like when people flaunt their religion in every social setting talking about what great Christians they are and telling everyone to have faith in God.

I asked the same question on this forum about LGBT- you can search for it. I didn't write about LGBT in my supps which I later regretted since I found out UMN had a whole pharmacy multicultural student organization do a presentation/meeting on transgender issues. I also found out it is one of the most gay friendly universities. I still got on their ranked waitlist though. I think you just have to be careful which schools you mention it to. I am sure it would be ok in some cali schools and definitely at some east coast schools. I mean, places like harvard have had numerous Point Scholars (a prestigious LGBT scholarship). Of course, you cannot mention it to religious schools or some conservative state schools.

I don't think it really matters... I took a class my very last semester of college called "Queer Studies", and I was wondering about it because one of the schools I'm applying to is very openly conservative/Christian. There are no alcohol rules and no co-habitation rules you have to follow (I hear students don't actually follow them, but being that I don't really drink and my boyfriend isn't coming with me to school, I'd be okay if I went there). Anyway... I've visited the school before because it happened to be close to where I was living, and I casually mentioned my schedule I was taking. No one even cared or acted differently. I should mention that I live in south Florida though. I think it just depends where you live. One thing I know is that sometimes GLBT people like to see other GLBT health providers. There are an abundance where I am from... my dentist is gay, and a few of my doctors are gay, but in other states there might not be many, so being gay, lesbian, transgendered, etc might be beneficial. My cousin is gay and he's a health professional, but he also got his MPH and now he works for the CDC in Atlanta specifically focusing on gay health issues and AIDS/HIV in same sex contact. I should mention he's a UGA graduate, which I would consider a pretty conservative state school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone told me they were taking "Queer Studies", I would bust out laughing immediately, kind of like I did just now.

Call me a bigot or whatever, I don't care, because I'm not; that's the funniest damn name I've ever seen for a class. Which I think many gay people would agree with me. A very poorly-worded title.

Yeah- the title Queer studies is pretty common and has been for a long time so I don't know why it sounds funny. I don't think you're a bigot for not having been exposed to it.

(sigh) well i didn't exactly get my answer, but that's all right. it was interesting reading how it went from Florida to LGBT. lol. unfortunately i can't use that as a diversity type thing since i'm not gay. i guess i'll just have to kick some serious butt with SAT's, ACT's. i still wish i had something about me that made me a more interesting candidate though. curse my whiteness/non-gayness/whatever.....grrr.....:mad:

know what i find really interesting? the only 0-6 pharmacy school in florida is a minority school. not that i was interested in staying in florida anyway, i just found that ironic. and though i would still be able to apply there i woudn't want to go because then i'd be the minority. is it a bad thing to feel that way?

Last edited:
(sigh) well i didn't exactly get my answer, but that's all right. it was interesting reading how it went from Florida to LGBT. lol. unfortunately i can't use that as a diversity type thing since i'm not gay. i guess i'll just have to kick some serious butt with SAT's, ACT's. i still wish i had something about me that made me a more interesting candidate though. curse my whiteness/non-gayness/whatever.....grrr.....:mad:

Do you play any sports or instruments? Sports or Band + Academics usually makes an interesting applicant. If you devote yourself to an activity and become really really good at it then it's a way to distinguish yourself from the other students with just high stats and a few random clubs or activities.

It will give you something to talk about in regards to leadership, dedication to something, etc.

If someone told me they were taking "Queer Studies", I would bust out laughing immediately, kind of like I did just now.

Call me a bigot or whatever, I don't care, because I'm not; that's the funniest damn name I've ever seen for a class. Which I think many gay people would agree with me. A very poorly-worded title.

It's actually really common, like the others said. The reason being is because the word queer is not exclusive and can therefore encompass any of the 'alternative' lifestyles. There are more categories outside of GLBT who consider themselves "queer", so this is a way to include everything.

This is one reason a lot of gay people would disagree with you, because the word has been re-claimed in a sense... but I guess if you haven't been exposed to this topic then you might find it strange I suppose. I'd say I have to explain that it's not an offensive word to about 25% of the people I talk to.

i was in band in middle school but couldn't afford it in high school. i don't play sports, however i am in NJROTC, would that help? though i was planning on dropping it next year to take and extra math/science class. other than that i'm just a regular student. nothing special really, though i just learned yesterday i sort of have a handicap but it's not one that would help me get in, i think it would actually hurt me!

Last edited:
the only 0-6 pharmacy school in florida is a minority school. not that i was interested in staying in florida anyway, i just found that ironic. and though i would still be able to apply there i woudn't want to go because then i'd be the minority. is it a bad thing to feel that way?

Yes. You deserve an eternity of hellfire and pitchforks poking your bum.

Or, you can write an essay examining on why it does or why it does not make you a bad person. Then see which side is more compelling. :p

Last edited:
i was in band in middle school but couldn't afford it in high school. i don't play sports, however i am in NJROTC, would that help? though i was planning on dropping it next year to take and extra math/science class. other than that i'm just a regular student. nothing special really, though i just learned yesterday i sort of have a handicap but it's not one that would help me get in, i think it would actually hurt me!

Oh well yeah... I think NJROTC would help if that is one of the main activities you're in. I would try to join something that is more affordable if you can't do band... do you like animals or hospitals? You can always volunteer at the local SPCA shelter or at a hospital candy stripping or something since you're still young. If you really want to get into a 0-6 program or even a 4 year school for your bachelor's degree you should get involved outside of class.

i just got my application today to volunteer at the local hospital. i was on drill team for NJROTC but i quit 'cause i didn't like it. and none of the schools other extra curriculars interest me. so i'll hopefully be volunteering 2 or 3 days a week after school.

Legally diversity is defined as being into relation to one's race (which is ironic considering the term race has really no merit). Sexual orientation is not considered, at least on a broad legal scale, part of diversity.