Most Prestigous Fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkjkjk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, what are the most prestigous specialities in medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
doing the residency for magicianist

poster_the-prestige-poster-1.jpg

some of the threads the OP has started:

How much do academic anesthesiologists make?
How much will salaries drop?
Hypothetical Question about Med School Prestige

:rolleyes:

He's going to be horrible doctor.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Everytime I see what he's wearing I want to vomit in a bag and look at that instead.

Personally, it's the hair that elicits that particular emotion in me.

this thread is going in the wrong direction, i sense hostility in the near future.

jkjkjk, you are worrying about stuff WAY beyond your scope. You should first worry about getting into medical school - if you can jump that hoop feel free to return and ask these self-centered questions.

lol, not a fan of blonde highlights on men Linguini? At least in my opinion, he wouldn't look like such a joke if he had on some decently matched shirts & ties. Does he only own shirts with different colored collars?!?

Back on topic, I'm probably completely mistaken but wouldn't one of the more prestigous fields be radiology?

ob/gyn - only a few are brave enough to bite the bullet

He's going to be horrible doctor.....

What makes you sure he's going to be a doctor?

All you guys are kinda being *******s. He/she was just asking a question. (A question I actually was interested in enough to click on the link...just like all of you). You should all go tell each other how wonderful, altruistic and selfless you are (ohh yeah and humble too:laugh:).

it used to be heart surgeon. back in the golden 80s. now i would say neurosurgery.

All you guys are kinda being *******s. He/she was just asking a question. (A question I actually was interested in enough to click on the link...just like all of you). You should all go tell each other how wonderful, altruistic and selfless you are (ohh yeah and humble too:laugh:).

I'm ANYTHING but humble, altruistic, and/or selfless; however, there comes a time when you have to ask yourself how many threads about prestige/money/superiority (by the same poster!) are too many...;)

Neurosurgery would be very cool... as a lifestyle.

None in particular. It's the person, and what he contributes within a field.

Agreed. Seems to me that much more prestige is accrued by a physician by making a significant contribution to a field, than it is by just entering a field that the public finds more golden than the rest. I think that any doctor, regardless of specialty, location or degree path, who has made a contribution to a medical journal holds a great deal of prestige.

Don't forget, the medical field is largely populated by former (and lifelong) science students. Many of us probably hold a similar view of prestige that relates to knowledge and the ability to apply it, rather than choice of specialty.

What makes you sure he's going to be a doctor?

And what makes you think that?

I found this interesting...Thread started by ejay286

What exactly makes your salary rise as a physician?

I guess no one picked up on the sarcasm. :confused::confused::confused:

Seeing as I have yet to get into medical school, let alone choose a specialty, it's several years too early to determine what the most prestigious field is. So the tentative answer is "applicant".

:)

Family practice in a rural, undeserved community for disabled and elderly minorities

The one that makes you happy.

People do seem to like the mystique of the various surgical fields from the outside.

the ROAD thing is not really truly. While many of those fields may be tougher to match into, they don't always garner the most respect amongst certain groups. I guess it just depends on one's definition of "prestigious" though.

Gameteology: The branch of medicine that deals with the treatment of gametes and their known disorders. Gameteologists spend most of their time taking care of sick sperm and egg cells.

This sub-speciality (an IM sub-speciality) is very prestigious. In fact, the match rate last year was very close to 10^-200%. Gameteologists must go through a very rigorous learning process. Becoming a Gameteologist requires a 4 year IM residency + 10-13 year general-Gameteology residency. Highly qualified individuals may choose to complete a 5-7 year fellowship in Paediatric/Geriatric Gameteology. Hghly-highly qualified individuals may go on to complete a 2 year gametosurgery fellowship.

The average Gameteologist makes $5170000/year and works 27 hours/week. The average Peadiatric/Geriatric Gametologist makes $20000000/year and works 21 hours/week. Because of their importance, Gametosurgeons have limitless credit-cards which are paid for by the government. Gametosurgeons are also eligible for attractive mail-order brides*

Everyone knows that the most intelligent individuals, with the highest step scores and published research, choose Gameteology.

Good luck:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:

PM me for more information,

Chemdude-future Gametosurgeon:)

*Countries limited to Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Belarus

podiatry, although that gametology thing sounds pretty cool. I would really just be in it for the free brides

Most prestigious :rolleyes::thumbup:

Surgical fellowship:
Pediatric surgery

Surgical residency:
Neurosurgery
(though integrated plastic surgery is by far the most competitive)

Non-surgical fellowship:
Cardiology

Non-surgical residency:
Dermatology

Least prestigious :thumbdown:laugh:​

Surgical:
OB/GYN

Non-surgical:
Family medicine or Psychiatry

How is dermatology prestigious?

It's not... it's just competitive. There is a difference. Dermatologists always complain about not being respected by their peers, just like psychiatrists do. That's not prestige.

It's not... it's just competitive. There is a difference. Dermatologists always complain about not being respected by their peers, just like psychiatrists do. That's not prestige.

I concur.

I completely agree.

When was a teenager and suffering from migraine headaches, I really looked up to the neurologists that my mom took me to. For some reason, it seems like neurologists had prestige, at least in my eye. They all seemed to be so smart. Probably because the brain is one of the least understood human organs.

Now, if I understand correctly, neurology is actually one of the least competitive fields, and to be honest, just about all physicians are very quite smart.

Theres not any prestige. You clean up **** and vomit, get called 24/7 for stupid questions from self-entitled overweight people who have no one to blame but themselves for their problems, bend over daily for insurance companies/medicaid, watch nurses with 1/4 your smarts and 1/10th your education (but 10x the lobby) be given the same power and privileges (all the while being ranked as a more trusted profession than you), get screwed on reimbursements (the failing auto industry assembly-line workers probably net more than you but you don't have a greedy and corrupt union to speak out on your behalf and besides everyone in the US thinks you make WAY too much money), work 80+ hour weeks (have a good chance of getting divorced and losing half your retirement savings), will probably become an alcoholic and/or pill-popper, deal with unqualified *****s at the DEA and FDA who will take your prescriptive authority away for breathing too loud, and well... you get the point. Go away.

Did I mention I can't wait to become a doctor??????????????????

:)