Most promising of the newer DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why don't people like lucom?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Culture + certain controls on behavior.. I'd be too afraid to even talk with a girl if I was at LUCOM (I kid). A search will give you more than enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Without sounding overly pretentious, but LUCOM seems to be the only new school that I feel would be legitimately embarrassing to be a graduate from.
That is indeed overly pretentious. It receives completely unwarranted hate just like RVU did (sometimes does). They'll do great and make great doctors like anywhere else. Sorry you disagree with their teaching of one or two things (evolution and young earth creationism) enough to somehow discredit the rest of their programs without actually having any real reason to do so.

Reactions: 6 users
That is indeed overly pretentious. It receives completely unwarranted hate just like RVU did (sometimes does). They'll do great and make great doctors like anywhere else. Sorry you disagree with their teaching of one or two things (evolution and young earth creationism) enough to somehow discredit the rest of their programs without actually having any real reason to do so.

I disagree with an online school who claims aids is god's punishment for sin getting a medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Culture + certain controls on behavior.. I'd be too afraid to even talk with a girl if I was at LUCOM (I kid). A search will give you more than enough.

It's because liberty university is a joke around our parts.

Yeah, I disagree with all the hate for LUCOM. They have a great chemistry of faculty, technology, and resources. The Speaker of the House for the AOA is one of the professors. I would say they are taking the role very seriously and have dropped a lot of money into this for it to fail. Most of the staff have multiple graduate degrees, a lot of experience, and some are very well published. Yes, the school is quirky and has an interesting past, but the COM (I feel) will have to rise to the standards of competitive medicine inorder to survive... which I think it will. There are plenty of religious schools who have done well for themselves and I think that you really have to wait and see what the results are before bashing it.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, I disagree with all the hate for LUCOM. They have a great chemistry of faculty, technology, and resources. The Speaker of the House for the AOA is one of the professors. I would say they are taking the role very seriously and have dropped a lot of money into this for it to fail. Most of the staff have multiple graduate degrees, a lot of experience, and some are very well published. Yes, the school is quirky and has an interesting past, but the COM (I feel) will have to rise to the standards of competitive medicine inorder to survive... which I think it will. There are plenty of religious schools who have done well for themselves and I think that you really have to wait and see what the results are before bashing it.

I think actions speak louder than words. I think we have to wait a least 2 years to see their step scores and rotation quality and a least 4 years to see their match results. Only time will tell.

Reactions: 2 users
I think actions speak louder than words. I think we have to wait a least 2 years to see their step scores and rotation quality and a least 4 years to see their match results. Only time will tell.

i agree. let's give them a little time to prove their capabilities before we label them with anything. SDN gets a little too excited on picking up on the negatives. same thing happened with RVU about their for profit status.

Resonible and rational thought does exist on SDN! I'm impressed.

Again, explain to me why a predominantly( 70-80% of students) online school needs a medical school?

Like I said, I'm going to open my own medical school, one that provides its students with unlimited pancakes every Friday morning and bottomless pots of coffee any time. An army marches on its stomach.

Reactions: 4 users
I know there are several new DO schools that have opened recently (ACOM, RVU, LUCOM, VCOM-CC, WCU, MUCOM, CUSOM etc.). I am interested to know if there is a consensus on SDN as to which school(s) show the most promise and potential for success in the future? Also would it be unwise to chose any of the promising new schools over a branch campus of an established school? Thanks for the responses!

RVU is not so new, as someone mentioned.
The three that entered last year, ACOM, MUCOM and CUSOM are all regarded well to this point. Talk is that MU seems to have a great rotation system in place, nothing either pro nor con on CUSOM that I have heard, and ACOM seems to have their stuff together also. The rotations there have been in place since 2007 and they have a solid residency placement record.
LUCOM has a religion factor that has gotten mixed reviews around here. They are the newest school and no one knows that much about them at this point.

Again, explain to me why a predominantly( 70-80% of students) online school needs a medical school?
Why do schools that aren't even associated with an undergrad need a med school? Because they can. Because money. Why does anyone open a medical school? Because money. There may be other things that support it, but no one would open new schools if they didn't plan to make money. It is the most common denominator.

Why do schools that aren't even associated with an undergrad need a med school? Because they can. Because money. Why does anyone open a medical school? Because money. There may be other things that support it, but no one would open new schools if they didn't plan to make money. It is the most common denominator.

Except this isn't happening on the MD side. Schools aren't being opened up for the sake of making money, they're opened up for prestige and to advance medical science. The issue is that we're not seeing people opening up Devry MD, they're hitting up COCA and they're making DO schools exclusively.

If we don't stand up against rash, unnecessary, and down right disrespectful proliferation of med walmart schools, then we only harm ourselves and the profession as a whole. The AMA and the LCME understand this, yet the AOA and COCA do not.

Also Picard's Speech on Drawing the line.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Until COCA changes their accreditation standards to make it more difficult to open DO schools, we will continue to see more. COCA is powerless. They have to accredit every single school that meets their current standards.

Until COCA changes their accreditation standards to make it more difficult to open DO schools, we will continue to see more. COCA is powerless. They have to accredit every single school that meets their current standards.

I believe this canon as much as I believe their tales about distinctiveness being the reason the original merger fell through.

Because it needs to fill its 7,000+ acre campus with something... It's a big school.

Because it needs to fill its 7,000+ acre campus with something... It's a big school.

And trees would be a bad option why?

Look, I don't know what they told you or what you've seen. But I'm from the area and no one holds LU in high regards. None of my friends applied to there and in the entirety of my whole high school class not a single person choose to attend LU. I mean, we're legitimately talking about a school who's averages are actually lower than the standard deviation at our area's community college. I mean that should tip you off the bat that we're not looking at a place that draws in some world class minds.

So yah, you can continue to defend them. But my opinion is more or less set in stone. I don't think they deserved a medical school and I don't think they will do Osteopathic Medicine and favors. I think that at least with RVU they were a new school and that they proved themselves. LUCOM simply already off the bat had a poor rep.

Reactions: 1 users
LMU-DCOM. Great match list this year. Told by our dean that we were top 2 among schools for students getting their first choice residency program. Outstanding faculty. Family atmosphere. Beautiful surroundings. Don't think you can go wrong.

LMU has graduated and matched what, 4 classes now? I wouldn't rank it as a new school anymore.

LMU has graduated and matched what, 4 classes now? I wouldn't rank it as a new school anymore.
LMU was respectable until they raised their class size to nearly 250 and complaints about their rotations began popping up. OK, many schools have the latter but they really dropped the ball on that increase.

I believe this canon as much as I believe their tales about distinctiveness being the reason the original merger fell through.

Believe what you want. If they don't, they'll end up in federal court. No one says it's right.

Except this isn't happening on the MD side. Schools aren't being opened up for the sake of making money, they're opened up for prestige and to advance medical science. The issue is that we're not seeing people opening up Devry MD, they're hitting up COCA and they're making DO schools exclusively.

If we don't stand up against rash, unnecessary, and down right disrespectful proliferation of med walmart schools, then we only harm ourselves and the profession as a whole. The AMA and the LCME understand this, yet the AOA and COCA do not.

i think you will reconsider this statement in the future.

Agreed, the last MD school that opened up was a research institute in Ca.

Anyone have any thoughts on Cooper Medical School of Rowan University?

Last edited:
It seems like MUCOM is looking to keep students in Indiana and they are probably interested in recruiting students from that state. It's a nice looking institution, though.

It seems like MUCOM is looking to keep students in Indiana and they are probably interested in recruiting students from that state. It's a nice looking institution, though.

I just hope they start informing people about their place on the waitlist and stop interviewing so many people and produce such a low acceptance percentage.

Cooper is MD not DO. They are ironing some kinks in the curriculum from what I saw on visiting elective. I think Rowan SOM is better, but Cooper is a good school, it is just new with stuff to work through.

I just hope they start informing people about their place on the waitlist and stop interviewing so many people and produce such a low acceptance percentage.
Part of me thinks the school is trying really hard to compete with IU's legacy to the point where it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many applicants. I suppose I understand how many praise the school and what it seems to have to offer, but the fact of the matter is that it's a brand new school. I liked different aspects about the school myself, but eventually I got an elitist vibe from the place which turned me off rather quickly.

Part of me thinks the school is trying really hard to compete with IU's legacy to the point where it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many applicants. I suppose I understand how many praise the school and what it seems to have to offer, but the fact of the matter is that it's a brand new school. I liked different aspects about the school myself, but eventually I got an elitist vibe from the place which turned me off rather quickly.

Right, which is why I liked CUSOM. It was very down to Earth and it spent time trying to get you to come as opposed to claiming it was Harvard of Osteo.

But yah, hopefully an early App to CUSOM will get me more love lol.

Right, which is why I liked CUSOM. It was very down to Earth and it spent time trying to get you to come as opposed to claiming it was Harvard of Osteo.

+1. Good luck this cycle.

lool

Reactions: 1 users

Good luck

I agree, there was a lot of horn tooting at my interview. It was kind of weird I thought. They actually downright lied or were uninformed of things that other schools do, which IMO wasn't a good thing. For example they said that they are the ONLY DO school to use the MMI format when in fact I know of at least two other schools that do this. They also made it sound like they are the only school with item writers for the COMLEX which is also not true. Hm, what else? I know they are a great school with a great future but I guess I'm not drinking the juice quite yet.

I agree, there was a lot of horn tooting at my interview. It was kind of weird I thought. They actually downright lied or were uninformed of things that other schools do, which IMO wasn't a good thing. For example they said that they are the ONLY DO school to use the MMI format when in fact I know of at least two other schools that do this. They also made it sound like they are the only school with item writers for the COMLEX which is also not true. Hm, what else? I know they are a great school with a great future but I guess I'm not drinking the juice quite yet.

Right, they did have a tone that was like, we do stuff other schools and people don't do.

It's a solid school, but now they're trying to sport a 3.6/28 average? Come on now, Western COMP has a 3.5/28 and they've been around since the last decade in the most competitive state. And don't get me started on the waitlist, many schools will tell you where you are at the end of the cycle. I however have not known anything since October...

Right, they did have a tone that was like, we do stuff other schools and people don't do.

It's a solid school, but now they're trying to sport a 3.6/28 average? Come on now, Western COMP has a 3.5/28 and they've been around since the last decade in the most competitive state. And don't get me started on the waitlist, many schools will tell you where you are at the end of the cycle. I however have not known anything since October...

It doesn't bother me to not know where I am on a rank list (It would kill me to know that I was number one on the waitlist or something and didn't get in) but don't give your students a quartile and THEN tell them you can move down from that quartile without being told. That is the part that irks me.

It doesn't bother me to not know where I am on a rank list (It would kill me to know that I was number one on the waitlist or something and didn't get in) but don't give your students a quartile and THEN tell them you can move down from that quartile without being told. That is the part that irks me.

True, but I've heard some weird things from Bryan about how they don't just count down from the waitlist. He didn't elaborate, but essentially at this point I'm moving on with my life. If I get in, great. If I don't, I'll live.

True, but I've heard some weird things from Bryan about how they don't just count down from the waitlist. He didn't elaborate, but essentially at this point I'm moving on with my life. If I get in, great. If I don't, I'll live.

I'm rooting for you :xf:

I really think the indiscriminate opening of new schools will come to an end sooner than later. Reason being, ACGME's masterful move. The axe will come to down to many residency programs, standards will rise for minimally deficient programs, and at some point COCA (on the med school accreditation side), although independent from others, will unquestionably feel the heat coming down from the bottleneck and ACGME. They will end up raising the bar significantly for new accreditation. Now, the real question in my mind is: will this happen soon enough?

Last edited:
I really think the indiscriminate opening of new schools will come to an end sooner than later. Reason being, ACGME's masterful move. The axe will come to down to many residency programs, standards will rise for minimally deficient programs, and at some point COCA (on the med school accreditation side), although independent from others, will unquestionably feel the heat coming down from the bottleneck and ACGME. They will end up raising the bar significantly for new accreditation. Now, the real question in my mind is: will this happen soon enough?
the proposed NYIT-COM @ Arkansas State troubles me. I mean, not that AR or ASU couldn't use a DO school, but WHY have NYIT (a very money-centric institution) sponsor it??? NYIT claims the need to address a PCP shortage in Arkansas, yet plans to charge students the same exorbitant tuition as their NY campus (approaching $60k). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And trees would be a bad option why?

Look, I don't know what they told you or what you've seen. But I'm from the area and no one holds LU in high regards. None of my friends applied to there and in the entirety of my whole high school class not a single person choose to attend LU. I mean, we're legitimately talking about a school who's averages are actually lower than the standard deviation at our area's community college. I mean that should tip you off the bat that we're not looking at a place that draws in some world class minds.

So yah, you can continue to defend them. But my opinion is more or less set in stone. I don't think they deserved a medical school and I don't think they will do Osteopathic Medicine and favors. I think that at least with RVU they were a new school and that they proved themselves. LUCOM simply already off the bat had a poor rep.

Interesting fact......RVU and LUCOM had the same founding dean.

Why do you think this? I don't necessarily disagree, would just like to hear your thoughts.

i probably should not have said that. you should form this opinion for yourself. in all seriousness (and in my opinion), it is important to maintain some naivety in medicine or you will get burnt out. too many people get caught up in the petty bull **** of medicine and end up becoming miserable physicians.

I agree. There are a lot of miserable physicians out there who, in my opinion, were not truly prepared for the hospital and the demands of medicine. They went in young and straight out of college b/c they were under the impression that doctors carry some level of respect and make a lot of money. To me, this kind of naivety is too much. People go into medicine for all kinds of reasons, but it's apparent who go into it for the petty reasons. It either shows up as the guy who thinks that he knows too much and pisses his partners off or the guy who is a complete douche all the time. We all know 1.

I think it's much more simple than they weren't prepared or cut out for medicine. They simply got older and realized that there more important things than a job and work. What is good for the individual is not good for the team and not good for the society.

I have heard good buzz from MUCOM and CUCOM, but the building of reputations is a slow process at first.

Out of curiosity, other than the VCOM school for Auburn are there any new ones planned to open in 2015? A google search only revealed that one.

I think it's much more simple than they weren't prepared or cut out for medicine. They simply got older and realized that there more important things than a job and work. What is good for the individual is not good for the team and not good for the society.
I never said anything about age...

I have heard good buzz from MUCOM and CUCOM, but the building of reputations is a slow process at first.

Out of curiosity, other than the VCOM school for Auburn are there any new ones planned to open in 2015? A google search only revealed that one.
I heard some buzz about Rhode Island possibly getting a COM... not sure the progress on that though. I also read that there might be one opening in Dublin, Ireland... saw somewhere also Texas, Wisconsin, and New Mexico. Can anyone else verify these?

A lot of schools toot their own horn at interviews. Some applicants don't know any better. After 3 interviews I started seeing past the marketing and evaluating the product for myself.

7/8 of the schools I interviewed at have higher board scores than the average. That's not saying much when you have 30+ schools.

SOMA and Western U both have MMI in their interview day.

There is a list of people contribute for the COMLEX. What the schools don't tell you is that almost EVERY school has someone who writes questions for the COMLEX.

http://www.nbome.org/docs/NBOME_Annual_Report_2013.pdf - Page 45

COMLEX Item writing guide
- http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/fd/NBOME Test Writing Workshop/Item Writing Guide 4-11COMLEX-USA Item-Writing Guide.pdf

I heard some buzz about Rhode Island possibly getting a COM... not sure the progress on that though. I also read that there might be one opening in Dublin, Ireland... saw somewhere also Texas, Wisconsin, and New Mexico. Can anyone else verify these?

I think you mean Dublin, Ohio. It's opening up this year.

COCA Accreditation standards and procedures - http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/accreditation/predoctoral accreditation/Documents/COM-accreditation-standards-effective-7-1-2013.pdf

I had the list of new schools that applied but I can't find it right now.

Edit: Found it
https://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/accreditation/predoctoral accreditation/Documents/new-and-developing-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine-and-campuses.pdf

Last edited: