Most promising of the newer DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard some buzz about Rhode Island possibly getting a COM... not sure the progress on that though. I also read that there might be one opening in Dublin, Ireland... saw somewhere also Texas, Wisconsin, and New Mexico. Can anyone else verify these?

The DO school in San Antonio didn't go through. TX is opening up two MD schools for class of 2020 I think. One at UT and the other at UT-RGV

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, I thought that was weird regarding Dublin... as I think there is differing views there regarding DO's.
Thank you for the correction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that is a lot of requests. Any idea how probable it is to move from the request stage to the pre-accreditation stage? I can't imagine there being any sensibility in even half of those schools moving forward with DO schools anytime soon (based on existing residencies).

It's a big hurdle going from an application that costs a few hundred dollars to making a multi-million dollar facility. The money has to come from somewhere.

Financially it makes more sense for established schools to offer more programs at the main campus or make branch campuses.

Look at the oldest 5 schools. 3 of them already have a sister campus. Another one is currently thinking about it.

I can see why NYIT wants to make a DO school in Arkansas.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a big hurdle going from an application that costs a few hundred dollars to making a multi-million dollar facility. The money has to come from somewhere.

Financially it makes more sense for established schools to offer more programs at the main campus or make branch campuses.

Look at the oldest 5 schools. 3 of them already have a sister campus. Another one is currently thinking about it.

KCUMB? If so, where?

Right except other DO schools don't possess such horrendous policies for students when things to wrong. If NYIT were LCME accredited it wouldn't be thinking about a new school. It would be ****ting itself over the prospective fines for mistreating students and the money it would need to invest to repair and change policy.

Everything I have heard so far is that the DO school in Wisconsin is hitting resistance/not meeting the cash needed.
Wisconsin has MCW though which is expanding to green bay and I believe they are working on a central location as well. UW and MCW seem to have ties that are essentially helping each other expand but block anybody else from doing business. Can't say I blame them, they have a solid monopoly on the state and they do an awesome job... So idk if or when a Wisconsin COM would appear.

Coming from Maryland and now living in Wisconsin, I have never seen schools that have such strong ties to the state before. People really dig mcw and uw... Why give money for a COM when you can give money to programs that are already awesome and are promising to expand to your area

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Everything I have heard so far is that the DO school in Wisconsin is hitting resistance/not meeting the cash needed.
Wisconsin has MCW though which is expanding to green bay and I believe they are working on a central location as well. UW and MCW seem to have ties that are essentially helping each other expand but block anybody else from doing business. Can't say I blame them, they have a solid monopoly on the state and they do an awesome job... So idk if or when a Wisconsin COM would appear.

Coming from Maryland and now living in Wisconsin, I have never seen schools that have such strong ties to the state before. People really dig mcw and uw... Why give money for a COM when you can give money to programs that are already awesome and are promising to expand to your area

Idk ask VCOM-Auburn and their program when there is ACOM and UA literally owning all the rotations and residencies

But then again, maybe I am just used to MD where they have Hopkins, then like 4 blocks away UMD, then all the schools in DC like 30 min from there...

I think they were thinking a school in Joplin. But they canceled on that.

DMU hasn't voiced anything yet.

I doubt DMU would go for a branch campus any time soon. We also have a huge class size

I wish DO schools would do what a lot of MD schools do and put all the money they have into building up a single program. It really helps with reputation... sure there are tons of MD schools with multiple campuses (I think the one in Indiana has like 5?). But if you look at some of the best medical programs in the US, they have singular campuses and use all of their resources to further build the one campus. They start building better hospitals, buy in researchers and equipment, etc.

But at the same time I understand that DO schools are trying to reach a different audience. They are trying to quickly spread to areas that need primary care help.
Oh and they want more money heh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they were thinking a school in Joplin. But they canceled on that.

DMU hasn't voiced anything yet.

No, the Joplin thing was before when the whole MD thing came up with the previous president.

Dr. Hahn mentioned a satellite campus briefly at acceptance day and a podcast interview. It was also mentioned in a recent newspaper.

Who knows, they might be thinking about Joplin again.

I doubt DMU would go for a branch campus any time soon. We also have a huge class size

250 is the limit.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they decided to have a branch campus. I wouldn't blame them either. Look up the financials for DMU and KCUMB then compare them to Western U and Midwestern.

Tons of programs and branch campuses are where the money is at and you gotta make money to stay competitive.

I wish DO schools would do what a lot of MD schools do and put all the money they have into building up a single program. It really helps with reputation... sure there are tons of MD schools with multiple campuses (I think the one in Indiana has like 5?). But if you look at some of the best medical programs in the US, they have singular campuses and use all of their resources to further build the one campus. They start building better hospitals, buy in researchers and equipment, etc.

But at the same time I understand that DO schools are trying to reach a different audience. They are trying to quickly spread to areas that need primary care help.
Oh and they want more money heh.

It's not a different audience issue. I have looked up the numbers and it's a whole different ball game.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Idk ask VCOM-Auburn and their program when there is ACOM and UA literally owning all the rotations and residencies

Curious how VCOM-Auburn will play out. Wonder what the degree of collaboration with Auburn University will be. Also heard that students will rotate at EAMC in Opelika. They are supposed to start accepting applications this year for 2015 matriculation. Interested to hear more information from VCOM in the coming months.

In regards to VCOM, can anyone tell me more about this whole "you can only apply to one campus" thing? is that true??

In regards to VCOM, can anyone tell me more about this whole "you can only apply to one campus" thing? is that true??

In my case I applied to both but only 1 school sent me back a secondary.

I remember reading somewhere that they go through your profile and pick which campus would suit you best or something.

Curious how VCOM-Auburn will play out. Wonder what the degree of collaboration with Auburn University will be. Also heard that students will rotate at EAMC in Opelika. They are supposed to start accepting applications this year for 2015 matriculation. Interested to hear more information from VCOM in the coming months.
Both ACOM administration and the gov. of Alabama are pretty unhappy about the school. As I've posted earlier apparently ACOM will be excluding other schools from AMEC rotations. VCOM is planning on enrolling 160+ students/year, so it's highly unlikely their will be enough spots in AL to accommodate them.

Would have been better to start a school in auburn instead of Dothan though...

So what are VCOM auburn students gonna do for rotations??how could they have gotten accreditation if they had nothing?

In my case I applied to both but only 1 school sent me back a secondary.

I remember reading somewhere that they go through your profile and pick which campus would suit you best or something.
Does this mean that if you apply to VCOM-VC, there's a chance that you could end up at VCOM-CC instead?

So what are VCOM auburn students gonna do for rotations??how could they have gotten accreditation if they had nothing?

Most will be shipped back to VA, NC, SC. The ones who remain in AL will likely be doing rotations in relatively poor hospitals and outpatient clinics.

As I said, it was a huge mistake by the school and it's insulting their alumni base.

I don't think we can really judge the quality of the rotations at this point. We have to give them some time. They don't even have a website up and running for the auburn location so all the talk about the location is just speculation at best.

I don't think we can really judge the quality of the rotations at this point. We have to give them some time. They don't even have a website up and running for the auburn location so all the talk about the location is just speculation at best.

That's the thing though. We know that the amount they possess is enormously limited. Even if the ones they have in AL are great, it'll likely be far too few.

Yeah. The rotation situation is a concern with the rumors of ACOM blocking their affiliated hospitals. Totally speculation, but I wouldn't think SEMC in Opelika could handle 160 students.

Again, I think it was very irresponsible of COCA to allow expansion there.

Yeah I read those articles too. If you go to the actual admissions page for VCOM (http://www.vcom.edu/admissions/), they don't have the Auburn Campus information yet. I'm interested in seeing what kind of clinical information they put up there, once they do have a full website running.

Again, I think it was very irresponsible of COCA to allow expansion there.

I completely agree with you. COCA needs to be more restrictive about the probationary accreditation status they're handing out. But at the same time, the faculty and staff at these potential COMs are doing hard work to establish something important. We should be respectful of the COMs and give them some benefit of the doubt until they do have established systems.

Yeah I read those articles too. If you go to the actual admissions page for VCOM (http://www.vcom.edu/admissions/), they don't have the Auburn Campus information yet. I'm interested in seeing what kind of clinical information they put up there, once they do have a full website running.

I completely agree with you. COCA needs to be more restrictive about the probationary accreditation status they're handing out. But at the same time, the faculty and staff at these potential COMs are doing hard work to establish something important. We should be respectful of the COMs and give them some benefit of the doubt until they do have established systems.
COCA's response has always been that they are powerless to stop expansion as long as applicant schools meet requirements

COCA's response has always been that they are powerless to stop expansion as long as applicant schools meet requirements

Again, I don't believe this. COCA could deny it on many a ground.

Again, the AOA has a habit of telling half truths and lies. I do not believe an accrediting body has to accredit anyone just because they qualify. No, COCA and the AOA simply have agreed that quality can be sacrificed for the sake of rapid expansion and thus more political power.

Just as Gevitz said that the residency crunch and PC shortage are easily solved by reducing quality parameters and allowing out patient clinics to be come residences. So COCA likely believes similarly in respect to opening schools. And hell, soon they'll say that their schools are better because they are more characteristic of what the real world or rural environments are like.

And so on...

Because it's a conservative Christian institution.

Yes, but there's a bit more to it than that.. other DO schools are located at colleges that could be classified as "Christian conservative schools," and they don't seemingly get ANY of the dislike of LU. There is a range of issues over which LU creates controversy among some people.. and many threads dedicated to them from a year ago or so.

Yes, but there's a bit more to it than that.. other DO schools are located at colleges that could be classified as "Christian conservative schools," and they don't seemingly get ANY of the dislike of LU. There is a range of issues over which LU creates controversy among some people.. and many threads dedicated to them from a year ago or so.
Please list what other schools rival the agenda of LMU that have medical schools. It may help shorten my list. Schools that advocate against basic concepts of scientific theory are not common. You can't count the Catholic colleges as the Church has no problem with evolution.

Please list what other schools rival the agenda of LMU that have medical schools. It may help shorten my list. Schools that advocate against basic concepts of scientific theory are not common. You can't count the Catholic colleges as the Church has no problem with evolution.
LMU =/= LU

LU*

And I think you may be misunderstanding what I was saying. In fact your statement and mine seem to be making the same point. I was responding to a previous poster who said that the reason for dislike of LU was due to it "being a Christian conservative school" and I was pointing out that there was more to it than that... the same thing you are saying above. The 'anti-science' agenda is the issue to most, NOT that the school is Christian/conservative.

LU*

And I think you may be misunderstanding what I was saying. In fact your statement and mine seem to be making the same point. I was responding to a previous poster who said that the reason for dislike of LU was due to it "being a Christian conservative school" and I was pointing out that there was more to it than that... the same thing you are saying above. The 'anti-science' agenda is the issue to most, NOT that the school is Christian/conservative.

Lol SDN propaganda strikes again. They are by no means anti-science. OP, do a search for some of the earlier lucom threads, jot down some of the claims, and give admissions a call to get an answer for yourself. The SDN populous is overwhelmingly liberal so it gets biased very quickly when talking about anything remotely conservative. The fact that there is a quality Christian medical school with a political leaning irks many members on this site which causes false claims and a lot of raging. There is nothing wrong with this school and I would have loved to go there barring different circumstances.

Aaaannd...:corny:

Lol SDN propaganda strikes again. They are by no means anti-science. OP, do a search for some of the earlier lucom threads, jot down some of the claims, and give admissions a call to get an answer for yourself. The SDN populous is overwhelmingly liberal so it gets biased very quickly when talking about anything remotely conservative. The fact that there is a quality Christian medical school with a political leaning irks many members on this site which causes false claims and a lot of raging. There is nothing wrong with this school and I would have loved to go there barring different circumstances.

My post was in reference to a question about why people dislike LUCOM. I responded with a summary of the main issue people had as was discussed in threads around the schools creation. At no point did I state that I agreed with these criticisms, I was just pointing them out to answer the question: "why all the dislike for LUCOM?." More importantly, at no point did I claim the DO school shared the university's views on anything involving science... in fact the consensus on the previous threads with confirmation from the university itself was that this was not the case.

I have a serious problem with someone calling my post "propoganda" or making assumptions about my political views. For fear of completely derailing this thread, I will stop there, but I do agree with your last statement that the OP should search the earlier LUCOM to arrive at their own answer (which I also stated in my first response).

Or you know, just look at their "creation studies" minor, courses and department.

http://www.liberty.edu/academics/arts-sciences/creation/

Just curious, do you consider a school teaching creationism, let alone offering a minor in creationism, NOT anti-science? If you don't consider that anti-science, I'd genuinely be interested in hearing your reasoning.

If you do consider that anti-science, how can you state the bolded?

Again... being creationist is one thing.
Being a primarily online school is another thing.
Being one of the least respected schools in the country and the State of Virgina is another thing.
Being in a state with one of the highest Med school to Resident ratios is also another thing.

I could go on for a while explaining why LU didn't need and didn't deserve a medical school. But I'll be shot down by people who consider me radical in my belief that medicine should be maintained as a respectable and prestigious field. Not one that should be dragged through the mud by private interests trying to make a buck or push agenda.

Reactions: 1 users
Again... being creationist is one thing.
Being a primarily online school is another thing.
Being one of the least respected schools in the country and the State of Virgina is another thing.
Being in a state with one of the highest Med school to Resident ratios is also another thing.

I could go on for a while explaining why LU didn't need and didn't deserve a medical school. But I'll be shot down by people who consider me radical in my belief that medicine should be maintained as a respectable and prestigious field. Not one that should be dragged through the mud by private interests trying to make a buck or push agenda.
I'd hate to tell you but I believe that medicine has worse things happening to it besides LUCOM... the OB/GYN in Baltimore who took pictures of his patients privates and posted them online, the cardiologist who put coronary stents in patients who complained of all sorts of things not entirely related to the heart and with lesions less than 50% (which numerous published papers document that a lesions should be greater than 70%), the internal medicine doc in New York who hooked up a feeding bag up to a peritoneal dialysis catheter, etc. Way worse things out there...
Also, creationism is a belief... and most people don't believe in it. How is it different than any other religious belief that defies science? Just saying.

I'd hate to tell you but I believe that medicine has worse things happening to it besides LUCOM... the OB/GYN in Baltimore who took pictures of his patients privates and posted them online, the cardiologist who put coronary stents in patients who complained of all sorts of things not entirely related to the heart and with lesions less than 50% (which numerous published papers document that a lesions should be greater than 70%), the internal medicine doc in New York who hooked up a feeding bag up to a peritoneal dialysis catheter, etc. Way worse things out there...
Also, creationism is a belief... and most people don't believe in it. How is it different than any other religious belief that defies science? Just saying.

There's a difference between institutions and individuals. If an individual commits a crime, he is a bad person. If an institution commits a crime then everyone working there becomes an unintended accomplice in the eyes of the public at least.

Honestly if an institute started teaching the Islamic theory of embryology then I would also tell them to gtfo as well.

There's a difference between institutions and individuals. If an individual commits a crime, he is a bad person. If an institution commits a crime then everyone working there becomes an unintended accomplice.
wow... now who's the extremist

There's a difference between institutions and individuals. If an individual commits a crime, he is a bad person. If an institution commits a crime then everyone working there becomes an unintended accomplice in the eyes of the public at least.

Honestly if an institute started teaching the Islamic theory of embryology then I would also tell them to gtfo as well.
HAHA! Seriously. I can't wait to see how you react to people of different and extreme faiths (as both patients, colleges, and medical staff). You have some maturing to do...

HAHA! Seriously. I can't wait to see how you react to people of different and extreme faiths (as both patients, colleges, and medical staff). You have some maturing to do...

Second level Inferences are bad, third level? Even worse.

Honestly, I don't specifically care about individual person's beliefs. In fact I think it's fine and statistically hope is beneficial so by all means pray and believe. I draw my line when people try to institutionalize religious views when they contradiction rationalism and are clearly against logic.

And further, trust me I know how to react to people of extreme faith. My boyfriend's mother is an extremely pious and devote Christian who would quite frankly prefer that a car fall from the stratosphere onto my head than me date her son. I can deal yo.

One curious thing I've noticed on SDN is that the only people who support LUCOM are people who are going there, or strongly considering it.

I don't think the support for the school is entirely the prospective students/students who are attending. I'm not attending the school and I have positive experience with the administration (i'm also a muslim, so take that for what you will). I attended the interview and from the looks of it, they are trying to show that they're a different beast than the undergrad and will welcome people of all faith. We'll see how much of that's true when the first class starts this fall. The director of admissions also mentioned their curriculum is on par with current DO schools.

I think the best course of action for interested applicants is to do your own research and call the school directly if you have any concerns. I'm interested in seeing how the experience goes for the inaugural class. I think that'll give us a somewhat better idea of how the COM will handle all these potential areas of conflict we keep hearing about on SDN.

Reactions: 2 users