Most Random "Manual Dexterity" Entry Contest:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Subject says it all... who's got the most random activity entered in the manual dexterity section?

My random one is "pen spinning." If you aren't familiar with it at all, check out this awesome video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ7HM6e8JI0&hd=1. I'm not nearly as good as them, but I've got a few cool tricks up my sleeve. Hopefully they'll ask me to do it on the interview, haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Better bring your A game to the interview. You gotta list things where the potential for props in the room doesn't exist. Really though, if you're legit, bring your best pen. I swear these guys gotta get bored after a while.

I do calligraphy on grains of rice at the local community center. BAM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Subject says it all... who's got the most random activity entered in the manual dexterity section?

My random one is "pen spinning." If you aren't familiar with it at all, check out this awesome video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ7HM6e8JI0&hd=1. I'm not nearly as good as them, but I've got a few cool tricks up my sleeve. Hopefully they'll ask me to do it on the interview, haha.

Master debater if you know what I am saying ;)

I can play my stomach really well. What I mean is I tighten my stomach and play it like it's a hand drum. I must say, it sounds pretty good, especially the drum roll.

Of course, I'm not putting this on my application because they would think I'm crazy...which I might be? :D

how good of a pen spinner do you have to be if you are going to list this under manual dexterity? i can do the basic spin but nothing fancy like in that youtube link.

how good of a pen spinner do you have to be if you are going to list this under manual dexterity? i can do the basic spin but nothing fancy like in that youtube link.
you have to be able to do the triple spin 360 reverse. :rolleyes:
come on now, i don't think anyone can really answer that.

You have to be a level 10 pen-spinner in order to place that activity on your application.

I actually put it as my first entry. I figured they must see scores of "Guitar" etc. so maybe it stands out a little more. I can do a bunch of tricks, thumbaround, reverse thumbaround, charge, and a couple others that I don't know the names of.

My grandmother suggested I put "petting cats" in that section.

I don't own any cats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied last year but my best one was Ukranian Egg Painting! Btw, kudos on the pen spinning...been trying to do it for years but eventually gave up b/c I figured I was too distracting during class.

well... they might actually ask you to do something in the interview, if your as good as that guy in the video (or half as good I should say), you'll be able to impress them.

If your gonna spin the pen with all fingers with the same repeating motion time and time again, your not gonna fool anybody.

Don't even let them ask. Take a seat and start twirling away!

I wonder what the most common one is. Instruments? Probably. Instruments are part of mine. It's sort of generic, but I've been playing one of them for 23 years. So I thought that was worth something.

well... they might actually ask you to do something in the interview, if your as good as that guy in the video (or half as good I should say), you'll be able to impress them.

If your gonna spin the pen with all fingers with the same repeating motion time and time again, your not gonna fool anybody.

Yeah, plus pen-spinning is super common in the dental student population so they've probably seen all the hum-drum run of the mill type tricks.

"Hodor" - Hodor

could i say using my track pad? it's very small and nearly impossible to use. it takes great skill to hit a button

ultimate frisbee? being able to maneuver a disc so that you're able to release from near the ground and pop it up to your reciever is no easy task... just sayin

i'm really good at picking my nose. when i drive my car, one hand's on the wheel and the other's accumulating boogers

Back when I was a physics major I worked on the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Switzerland, and did work on micro-electronics there under a microscope using dental instruments, long before I even considered dentistry, so I opened my personal statement with that story.

But yeah I thought I left the pen spinning back in my debate days hehe.

Magic, I took a red sponge ball and did the pen spinning type move with it, then vanished it for effect. Couldn't get it back though, so good thing my following interviewers didn't ask me to back up my statement.

-

Last edited:
What about painting my nails? I'm pretty great at it, if I do say so myself.

I'd like to see someone who is right-handed try to paint their right-hand nails with their-left hand for the first time (or vice-versa).

I'm a pro. :laugh:

What about painting my nails? I'm pretty great at it, if I do say so myself.

I'd like to see someone who is right-handed try to paint their right-hand nails with their-left hand for the first time (or vice-versa).

I'm a pro. :laugh:

You should prove it by going to interviews with your nails painted all the shades of the rainbow.

That is pretty cool! Now I want to learn to do that haha!

I have performed many finger puppet shows in front of 500 beanie babies...it was a sold out show:corny: Should i list it? would it be ok to bring my finger puppets to an interview and put on a show?

Extracting the saliva glands of C. Elegans they're pretty tiny and it is not that easy to do.

If it was up to me and you could spin a pen like the video on an interview, you're in.

I don't know if mine is random, but it's probably not typical of applicants. I put down building the frame and body of a formula SAE car. Included lots of manual tube notching, welding, mold and fiberglass work. Hope that counts.

I am all for nose picking and nail painting as manual dexterity.

I also put garnishing food. My family owns restaurants, I am used to making dishes up. Hopefully they buy that haha.

Write on AADSAS that you carve doll furniture. Tell them in the interview you carve doll furniture. Who cares?

spray painting. you need a trigger finger strength of a Navy Seals sniper and a controlled dexterity and hand eye coordination of an artist.

Oh i also put preparing raw fish as a chef

Yeah food prep seems legit to me...same logic as dentistry, if you slip someone gets cut!

I centered my PS around this one, Pysanky (Ukranian Easter Egg dyeing). It definitely caught the attention of every interviewer, I think it helped me stand out a little bit. (I had pictures uploaded on my phone ready to roll anytime an interviewer would ask me about it). You can google Pysanky to take a look at some of the eggs people create, a very intricate art form using raw eggs.

i put practicing nun chuck to fight or self defense. hahahah.

Is being able to text really fast considered manual dexterity?
.........seriously.

i've performed over 100 open heart surgeries on live mice for my research....sticking a needle the perfect depth into the left ventricle of a mouse heart is pretty tough! haha

lol what about cutting your own hair?

College and Professional baseball pitcher? Not many other applicants with that.

I put removing mouse brains for research. I was amazing and fast at it.

Is being able to text really fast considered manual dexterity?
.........seriously.

Haha, that would be cool,
How about tying your shoes or parallel park with one hand only...
I did that for almost 3 weeks when i injured my clavicle playing football