Mother/Military Spouse/No family in the US.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GioBQ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.....
As the title says, I am a mother, a military spouse in which my husband is going to be sent overseas (Maybe Hawaii for three years). I am also from Ecuador, meaning I have no family in the states.
I am looking for a great university that not only prepares me to be a great dentist, but also that is located in a place where I feel safe for my two kids.
Do you know of universities/surrounded areas where it will be safe for my babies?? One is three years old and the other is almost one.

Regards and good luck to y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am a military spouse too. Just about any university will prep you for school. I think it is a lot of what YOU put into it that counts.
It also does matter if you are also going with him. If it is 3 years you will be going also right? I would look into the base and then you can also get on facebook to find more groups in that specific area.
Honestly one of the biggest things is daycare :nailbiting:. If you need any help feel free to message me. Been through moving and finding daycare and all that jazz.
Good luck on your journey otherwise!! It's an exciting one for sure.

Thank you @karanja and @mrsS. It is a challenge for me because I don't think I will be moving with him since it is expensive. Thats why I was looking for universities that their area is "livable" for my kids. I am just so scared. This moving thing is not easy. We lived in NC for almost 6 years and we recently moved to GA, but by may next year he will be in Hawaii.
A question about HI though? Are their universities accredited or the graduate students will be considered "international students"?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I would see no reason to not attend a HI uni honestly.
And as far as cost wouldn't it be more expensive to stay in GA or wherever you go? There is a lot to think about. With no family and no husband and daycare for 2 kids it will be difficult. I won't lie. I did it with just my kid and I for only a month with daycare and a lot of my school work was done after her erratic bedtime. Can't imagine it with two.
Also moving itself shouldn't cost you a thing. It's paid for for the most part.
I would add up the cost of you living there with daycare for 2 kids vs living in HI with 2 kids and daycare.

But in all honesty - don't freak out just yet - you said MAY be in HI. With the military a may is pretty unsure. lol

The only thing i can say here is that I agree that you should go to Hawaii with him. Dental School is very stressful and it will be even more if you are in a "long distance" marriage.
Also, to my understanding, the military should cover most of the moving expenses (including yours and the kids not only your husband's) if not all the expenses.
Seguro lo cubre todo.

Last edited:
I also think UH Manoa has agreements with some dental schools to reserve spots for the predents from Hawaii. You should look into it.

I looked up to the universities in HI. They are "non-accredited" by ADA. It was discontinued in 2010.
This is crazy stressful because I can't send y children with my husband since he is just about to start his new duty in HI as an infantry officer. He wants to tae the kids but it will be pointless.
I will definitely call the university in HI and see what agreements they have with other schools. Thank you for the responses
@CallMeDoct @Switchhitter @mrsS @karanja

oh Yes. I am aware of that.
I have finished my bachelor's in Biology and I already took the Dat and completed my application. I was looking for great areas, since the only one that I know is North Carolina (Fort Bragg).
I applied to florida, because my family can travel to their airport and it is cheaper.
I was looking for good areas where the universities are located. I am aware of how difficult it is with two kids, yet I did my bachelor's like that and my husband was not home all the time (and my kids never attended a daycare).
Thank you.
I was invited for an interview in Nova and still waiting for other universities. It is just that I am trying to add another university depending on the area.
Thanks @karanja

Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad is very different from dental school. Congrats on the interview, but I would think that this would be incredibly stressful on the children. With your husband far away and you always studying, they will have no support.

My opinion is that the area won't matter because your husband won't be there. You're saying he MAY get sent to HI next year? Are those orders finalized? Can he talk to the detailer (not sure what the army calls them) to get a different location?
I would try to get him to push for orders to TX, from there you can hopefully get into a TX school which is much cheaper and you will be closer to your husband. Ft. Hood isn't too far from Baylor.

Either way, good luck. This sounds like a difficult situation.

It was not clear that you were actively applying to dental schools.
In this case I would agree with @schmoob and try to get him pushed somewhere else. Especially if there are no solid orders. There are a ton of options and I would really try to go through those channels instead of on your own.
I know Baylor (A&M) said their schedule is 8-5PM. I have no idea how this can be achieved without daycare if you are going to not send them there unless you plan on a nanny. Both are options but I want to ensure it is clear that in dental school it seems almost impossible to NOT have extra support in some way. Maybe you can have a relative come stay with you.

I do not know of any "safer" areas for schools. I know where I would avoid (DC, New York but I'm not a big-city type person and wayyy too familiar with DC area). I think you can find a safe area near any school it just depends how far you want to commute. I would make sure a daycare (if you do find one) is on the way or near the home though.

:eek::arghh:
:bang:
This is crazy. I was trying to bring my sister with me, but I have to see how that works. She might come, she might not. Thats why I am looking for better areas.
My kids have never been in daycare, and I know it is different from undergrad (too easy). I really don't know.
My husband is a maybe for HI because he first has to pass his IBOLC to be station there.. He has to graduate in October, so lets see how that goes...:shrug:.. Also, NY is a no no for me. I just dislike the state because I lived there 5 months and aged like 10 years :uhno:
@mrsS

:eek::arghh:
:bang:
This is crazy. I was trying to bring my sister with me, but I have to see how that works. She might come, she might not. Thats why I am looking for better areas.
My kids have never been in daycare, and I know it is different from undergrad (too easy). I really don't know.
My husband is a maybe for HI because he first has to pass his IBOLC to be station there.. He has to graduate in October, so lets see how that goes...:shrug:.. Also, NY is a no no for me. I just dislike the state because I lived there 5 months and aged like 10 years :uhno:
@mrsS
I truly wish you the best of luck, but I honestly believe you are being too picky. If your husband is going to be a geobachelor while you go to dental school as a single mom, the focus should be working with the detailer to NOT go to HI.
Are his orders finalized? Is he going to follow-on training for his tab afterwards? What if he does not complete IBOLC?
I really think these are questions to worry about right now, rather than where YOU WANT to go to school.
Work with your husband regarding possibilities of orders and apply to schools in the surrounding areas. Once October comes, you will have a better idea of what choices to make come Dec 1.

Reactions: 1 user