Motivation to become a Doctor, Unique Thread?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbadal2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this thread may sound similar to many others, but here is my question.

I read on the internet in various pre-med sites, not sdn so far, that a pre med is discouraged to indicate to the adcoms that one of the many reasons that you're going into medicine is because of a direct experience with medical related maladies of a family member.

I happen to be in this particular boat, my interest in biology and science in general coupled with my past medically related personal experiences spurred me to pursure medicine early on in undergrad.

Since then I have been volunteering, reading (SDN :) ) and learning more about what it is actually to be a doctor. The more I am around people, the more I have a desire to help...this feeling is especially strong when I am in a clinical situation...I honestly feel as though I'm in the right place.

I'm curious however, that if I were to mention my past and how it spurred me to become a doc it might turn potential medical schools off.

In the words of mIke Myers, "Discuss amongst yourselves!"

Members don't see this ad.

too early to bump it up?

The main thing is to be honest. Ad-Coms will see through a BS reason to be a doctor is a second. I wrote about my Heart Surgery in my AMCAS statement and discussed it during multiple interviews. If anything a unique / personal reason for going into medicine will make you application stand out. Forget what you read it was horrible advice, being yourself is the best way to go !! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
sbadal2007 said:
I read on the internet in various pre-med sites, not sdn so far, that a pre med is discouraged to indicate to the adcoms that one of the many reasons that you're going into medicine is because of a direct experience with medical related maladies of a family member.

I'm just curious, why did these other pre-med sites advise against this?
Is it because too many people use this as a reason for wanting to pursue medicine and it would not help you stand out? I can't see it as having any real negative impact on your application. :confused:

sbadal2007 said:
too early to bump it up?

Definately :) especially cuz u posted at night. wait about 8 hours.

anyhow...

I don't think this will make your app look bad. many people have experiences that are specific to their life. if you're sincere and honest about your experience then it'll be ok. they like to see committed people. I def don't think it'll hurt your chances. but you might not want to stress the whole application behind it. but it's good to incorporate.

lol thanks virilep.

Yea that was my whole point. I was going to use it as one of the springboard reasons that spurred me into medicine, not the only main reason. Trust me, if that was the only reason I think I'd be pretty miserable as a doctor.

I think the reason they "advised" against this, was because it seemed like too altruistic and easy a reason I guess, but when things like that happen to a person, Im not talking about a broken leg here- more like brain and heart surgery- they are not easily forgotten.