Motivation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kofi Darko

EverywhereIgoI
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What pushes you to be resilient during your path towards med school, what do you do when you feel like giving up?

Members don't see this ad.

• What pushes you to be resilient during your path towards med school?
Knowing what I want is key. There is no ambiguity, so it is harder to become disillusioned with what I am doing. I enjoy what I am studying, so when it is fun the time passes by quickly and the process isn't all that painful.
  • What do you do when you feel like giving up?
I wake up the next morning and go to work. Just being at work for five minutes is enough for a major attitude adjustment. This is probably unique to me, so I am not so sure it would help you stay motivated. There is a lot I hate about my career, and the corporate world, so much so that I don't think I have ever really entertained the idea of giving up.

Reactions: 1 users
  • What pushes you to be resilient during your path towards med school?
Knowing what I want is key. There is no ambiguity, so it is harder to become disillusioned with what I am doing. I enjoy what I am studying, so when it is fun the time passes by quickly and the process isn't all that painful.
  • What do you do when you feel like giving up?
I wake up the next morning and go to work. Just being at work for five minutes is enough for a major attitude adjustment. This is probably unique to me, so I am not so sure it would help you stay motivated. There is a lot I hate about my career, and the corporate world, so much so that I don't think I have ever really entertained the idea of giving up.

Going to a job you dislike is the best motivation.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What pushes you to be resilient during your path towards med school?
I've spent so much time working toward this. I really hate wasting time. If I give up now, I will have wasted too much time in my life. I just remind myself how much I've gone through on my path to medical school.

What do you do when you feel like giving up?
I kick my own A**! Seriously. When I feel like giving up, I work out until I can't stand anymore. My feelings are usually temporary, so I have to work out hard to wake myself up and smack myself back into reality. I also make a list of easy to achieve accomplishments (ex: Study for Course A for two hours on Monday from 1-3PM). It helps me. I don't know if it would help anyone else, though. lol

Reactions: 1 user
Like was stated above, having to go to a corporate job in a sucky economy is a big booster to pursue your desires.
As an older, non trad, I can think about all the things I would have to go back to for employment, which is enough to shake me straight.

What I do when I feel like giving up? Small things make a big difference. On a tough day, a good swift walk, a hot cup of cocoa, or some small pleasure puts life in perspective.

The look on my ex's face when she found out I was going to be a doctor.

But seriously, the biggest motivator for me was just thinking about what my life would look like in ten years if I didn't go to med school. I'm going to be in my late 30s one way or another, I might as well be in my late 30s and a doctor.

Reactions: 10 users
I have a countdown on my phone that shows me the number of days til the 2015 application cycle starts.

It's not 'the biggest' motivator in the world. But at times when it seems like this stage will go on forever, it helps me to be able to see time passing in a concrete way.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a countdown on my phone that shows me the number of days til the 2015 application cycle starts.

It's not 'the biggest' motivator in the world. But at times when it seems like this stage will go on forever, it helps me to be able to see time passing in a concrete way.

I like that idea! Going to download a countdown app now myself!

I like that idea! Going to download a countdown app now myself!

Me too... only 2374 days left until residency graduation! Hmm that didn't quite have the desired effect...

Reactions: 6 users
Every time I feel like I hit the wall and I am ready to throw in the towel - something will happen that will remind me why I chose this and why I am destined to do this path

Progress is my motivation... I have a long way to go till I'm even ready for my first application cycle (2015), but each day volunteering, each day shadowing, each correct answer I get while studying for the MCAT all offers its appropriate dose of motivation. When I'm struggling or feeling poopy, I go for a run. Nothing picks up my mood better than vigorous cardio, especially if there are hills involved. Nothing like metaphorical battles to conquer to offer perspective.

OP: Thanks for making this thread!
I third the other suggestion that the best motivator is a crappy job. Every job has drudgery and waiting for the clock to hit 5 pm is utter torture. Being surrounded by colleagues who can only talk about sitcoms and celebrity gossip is mind-numbing.

This is very true and I made a similar observation. Although I feel like I've been on the premed path forever, when I see my friend who "just got into medical school" is graduating, and some other friends are well into their careers as dentists, it really blows my mind.

I used to think that those friends really have their act together to be practicing or nearly finished at age 26. I envy their productivity in a way. But now I just think that if the time passes that fast for them, it will pass fast for me too. It might seem obvious but it helps me keep perspective.
Also when I actually talk to them, they wish they had taken that extra philosophy course or three when they were in undergrad rather than having such a laser-sharp focus on getting into professional school. They wish they had travelled more (they still can with a better salary, I tell them :p). They actually envy my path in a way because it took so long, so I had time to do other things.

Anyway I hope my ramblings help someone who might be struggling with a similar angst. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Desire is so important. I can't imagine NOT becoming a physician. I think of everything I've read from Stephen Covey, and it reminds me that just about anything is possible when I truly desire it. Failure does not have to be permanent unless I don't get up one more time. Family support, prayer, and clearly defined goals keep me from giving up.

As has been said already, I'm going to get older, so why not work to become a physician in the process? When down, I think of what my immigrant grandma did to make the American dream possible for my dad and by extension, for me. It's humbling. I can't be satisfied until I've given my best. Becoming a physician will mean I've done this, at least career-wise. In this throwaway and non-commital culture, not too many people actually give their best anymore. That's what's really sad.

Besides, in America where so much is possible, this will be my most enjoyable path for upward mobility, a comfortable future for my family, and for giving service to my fellow man.

Just a first-year (2nd degree) so not even close to thinking of giving up, but I did start off slow so I don't set myself up for burnout. I know it will take adding responsibility in stages. What matters is that I can handle being a med student by the time I am a med student, not now. More time means that I have more time to improve... I just hope I can remember that when it gets tough!