Motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUNYguy

The City Kid
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDNers,

I was just wondering how everyone keeps their motivation whilst studying. For example, today in my g/bio2 course, we were talking about genetics, physiology and immunology, and I've already taken these two intensive courses in depth.

When I get home, I just don't feel like reading it from the textbook because I already spent 15 weeks, and countless tests about it.

I'm sure many people on this forum has relearned subjects, but how do you push yourself to read the same basic information again?

(Hope I don't look lazy because of this post :x)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You've probably seen this before, but just in case you haven't:

Reactions: 4 users
I learned this AFTER finishing my undergraduate years.
Enjoy the process. Enjoy reading and learning something new. Before you know it, you will be done with it. We know it is hard but where else would you learn these things?
It's pretty exciting if you think about it. Of course, I hated it during school. But thinking back, I wish I could go back and have enjoyed it more.
It's a long process but it will fly by and you will be old looking back at the years.
However, I'm sure medical school will be miserable....

Members don't see this ad :)
I learned this AFTER finishing my undergraduate years.
Enjoy the process. Enjoy reading and learning something new. Before you know it, you will be done with it. We know it is hard but where else would you learn these things?
It's pretty exciting if you think about it. Of course, I hated it during school. But thinking back, I wish I could go back and have enjoyed it more.
It's a long process but it will fly by and you will be old looking back at the years.
However, I'm sure medical school will be miserable....

It's not something new though, it's something that I've learned already, and it's been reiterated many times within the advanced level courses, so I don't feel like I'm being intellectually stimulated.

Just looking for some firewood to keep the educational flame going.

Hey SDNers,

I was just wondering how everyone keeps their motivation whilst studying. For example, today in my g/bio2 course, we were talking about genetics, physiology and immunology, and I've already taken these two intensive courses in depth.

When I get home, I just don't feel like reading it from the textbook because I already spent 15 weeks, and countless tests about it.

I'm sure many people on this forum has relearned subjects, but how do you push yourself to read the same basic information again?

We're passionate about it.....We just genuinely love reading about what we wanna do! That's just an honest answer. Obviously though not everyone feels this way and it doesn't make you any less of a passionate, determined person!

I get motivation every time I'm at work. Since I'm part of a critical care transportation team, I work very closely with physicians. My proximity to them gives me motivation to keep going towards my goal of being a doc.

You don't need motivation you need discipline. Go study and track your progress. That is your motivation. Put in the effort and the step scores will come.

Reactions: 1 users
I admit it's hard for me to be motivated to study at times when a lot of other things seem more fun at the moment than studying. However, I have to remember my end goal and realize that a good GPA is important to get there. Then I go calculate what my GPA would be if I got a C (or A/B) in that class. Once I see how much my GPA would drop with a C, it really scares me into studying. ;)

Tutor your classmates maybe...easy way to study yourself

Hey SDNers,

Yeah there will be stuff that will seem redundant and you will need to know. However, to make it more interesting why don't you go beyond the material presented in class or question it to a greater extent. You could even pose these questions to your professor and get a greater understanding than what is being presented in class. I took a 600 level epidemiology course and then took a 300 level epidemiology course after (it had been over a year since I took epi and wanted a refresher). The 300 level one was easier, but I still found ways to challenge myself. I would even ask my professors questions that went beyond the scope of the class. This helped me "re-learn" the material without getting bored, because the new interesting stuff builds on the old stuff.

Last edited:
I find my shadowing to be great motivation to keep running.

For a shorter term solution, I am a huge Simpsons fan, and I think of Bart Simpson yelling, "You can do it! I believe in you!" in a favorite episode of mine. I'm a little embarrassed about that one, but it's effective.

Reactions: 3 users
I just wanted to thank you all.. I'll take everything that everyone said into consideration.

If my second home is school, my third is SDN

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile

I do this too! You should check out the"four point" app in the App Store.

I admit it's hard for me to be motivated to study at times when a lot of other things seem more fun at the moment than studying. However, I have to remember my end goal and realize that a good GPA is important to get there. Then I go calculate what my GPA would be if I got a C (or A/B) in that class. Once I see how much my GPA would drop with a C, it really scares me into studying. ;)

I used to not always be motivated to study. Then I worked a physical labor all summer. For any of you who have worked one, you know that the hours are long and hard -usually 7 AM to 7 - 9 PM or so, 6-7 days a week. After that, undergrad just seems incredibly easy. I get to read what I love, sit down in comfy lecture chairs and work in air conditioning all day. It's simply much easier than physical work in my opinion.

Ever since I've just considered school a full-time job. Looking at class through a different lens changes things!

And as far as being motivated by getting excited about the actual profession, shadowing helped, and doing wikipedia searches for everything I learned in class helped too. Learning things or just reading more about it is fascinating.

For me, since I live in a big metropolitan area, being strictly a student is unreasonable. I work in the morning/afternoon, then late afternoon and evening is classes. And on top of that, I'm doing sociology research (by choice, not just to check a box), and volunteer.

When I go home, I just want high yield material fed to me. I started doing what some of you have suggested and take a point in the chapter/course and look into it more (helping me out a lot atm).

I do this too! You should check out the"four point" app in the App Store.

thanks for the suggestion! I just looked for it in the android play store and it's not available! I know there are plenty of other apps but that's ok, I use my spreadsheets : )

There is a pretty good spreadsheet I found off of here somewhere. Lol I'm glad I'm thinking like someone else on here :)

Edited for spelling (screw you iPhone)

thanks for the suggestion! I just looked for it in the android play store and it's not available! I know there are plenty of other apps but that's ok, I use my spreadsheets : )

Last edited: