Technology Motorola Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozzy40

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any comments on the Motorola Q? I've read some so-so reviews on Amazon.com. I like the size and look of the phone and only want to use it for certain things:
-contact book
-calendar
-texting
-epocrates
-Office document viewer.

Will this get the job done?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you navigate with the MotoQ?

Members don't see this ad :)
It has buttons for navigation go to your local best buy and try it.

Does anyone know about medical software for the MotoQ? I'm really interested in just Epocrates but any input would be appreciated.

I have a Q, and have been wondering the same thing about compatible medical software. So far, I have found only epocrates, and some third party encyclopedia-esque programs that do not look very useful. I was hoping you could get 5MC or some sort of clinical diagnostic reference, but they do not appear to be available yet. I would expect this to change however, since smartphones are pretty ubiquitous, and the windows mobile platform for smartphones is evidently close enough to the pocket pc version that developers should not have to do much to make a Q-compatible version.

The Q has 128MB of flash memory and 64MB of RAM, with roughly 60MB of user-accessible memory. If you plan on carrying a lot of work documents or multimedia files, do yourself a favor and get a Micro SD card.

The Q also has some migration issues: none of my prior PocketPC applications will install on this phone. If you are migrating, you should seriously consider this.

Any comments on the Motorola Q? I've read some so-so reviews on Amazon.com. I like the size and look of the phone and only want to use it for certain things:
-contact book
-calendar
-texting
-epocrates
-Office document viewer.

Will this get the job done?

Yes; it does all of these. I sync my calendar, contacts, tasks, and email with our medical school's exchange server via Sprint's cellular network. I have their unlimited data plan so extra cost is not an issue. Anything I add to my calendar via my laptop or any computer connected to Exchange shows up on my MotoQ about 15 seconds later, as everything is updated live all the time.

I installed epocrates, and while it's not as easy to use as on a portrait , full-sized PDA, it's very convenient and you can get all the same information in something more portable than a PDA. When I get to 3rd-4th year, I plan on going with a full-sized PDA telephone with stylus. For now, the portability of the motoq is more important.

Viewing office documents is surprisingly easy and nice, despite the tiny screen. The built-in viewer with my sprint motoq allows you to zoom in and out and scroll with relative ease. I can also view powerpoints that use relatively large fonts and images easily, nice for doing quick reviews without a laptop. I wouldn't want to edit documents on the motoq, which requires extra software to purchase.

Texting is easy, no-brainer with the full QWERTY keyboard. Though, don't expect the keyboard to be as nice as a laptop! But it's better than the 12 keys on a telephone! You CAN get a foldable, laptop-sized keyboard that uses wireless Bluetooth with the phone so you can type notes during class if you don't want to lug around a laptop. If you have Office 2007, you can use OneNote mobile on your Moto Q and then upload the notes to your desktop when you get home. Kinda useful.

I got a 4GB mini-SD card (note: a previous poster said micro-SD, which is not the same thing. Mini-SD cards are bigger than micro-SD cards, and are not compatible with each other due to the form-factor) for the Q, and it's given me basically "unlimited" storage for photos, recorded video lectures, power points, music, whatever. Check with the memory card manufacturer, some large mini-SD cards are NOT COMPATIBLE with the Q, so read and be careful when buying.