mount misery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyBulldog

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just finished rdg house of god.....wow, it was really intense and kinda got me panicky about a potential IM residency, but anyways, i was just wondering if anyone's read the sequel, mount misery, and what they thought.....i dunno why but now i kinda want to know what happens to our ****MVI**** Is the sequel as good/intense as the house of god?

Members don't see this ad.

Read it. Loved it. Less funny, but more thoughtful.

UTpremed said:
Read it. Loved it. Less funny, but more thoughtful.

I agree. People sometimes think that Samuel Shem went off the tracks on this one, but I disagree. I think he had more to say in Mount Misery and while its less sensational, its more human. Plus, there are a lot of awesome quotes. Get a highlighter out while you're reading and I don't think you'll regret it at all.

I know a lot of people who didn't like Mount Misery but I did. I agree with Larsitron that it seemed much more human. It felt a more personal than House of God; I love the way he writes from the character's viewpoint and rationalizes everything he's doing.

It was funny, I was reading it in a sushi bar one day and some guy saw it and started telling his date all about that book and House of God. I think he was a surgeon and suspect he was married, but not to his date.