Mount Sinai Masters in Biomedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAMBAA

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Has anyone heard anything about Mt. Sinai's Masters in Biomedical Sciences (MSBS) program? I'm interested in applying and wanted to get some input on the program, extent of research/thesis opportunities, and matriculation into their MD program.

Hope any of you could help me out!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a student here. I do not recommend this program. No one matriculates to their MD program, although they might make it seem that way... complete BS and make no time for masters students. No advising, no help with finding opportunities, and no individualized help. If you were interested in just PhD, I would recommend it because the research portion is exceptional. Every other area is awful. Message me if you want more details.
Hi, I am a student here. I do not recommend this program. No one matriculates to their MD program, although they might make it seem that way... complete BS and make no time for masters students. No advising, no help with finding opportunities, and no individualized help. If you were interested in just PhD, I would recommend it because the research portion is exceptional. Every other area is awful. Message me if you want more details.
Hi I was accepted to this program last year but deferred to work in a lab at Hopkins. I am planning on matriculating in the fall. Would you be able to elaborate on what you are talking about in regards to it being awful.

I would mostly disagree. The program is wonderful in so many aspects. Obviously, like anything else it has its flaws. There are so many resources for advising. Dr. Hanss, the program director, always makes himself available to help us and give us advice and its always practical and optimistic. This process of wanting to apply to medical school is obviously draining and competitive and he is the best person to break it down for you so you don't get overwhelmed.
Every professor and TA that I have had as an instructor has been amazing. You are really learning from some of the best and it's exciting. They have always been available outside of class. Pretty much all the resources are available to you as long as you ask for it. The expectation here is that we are adults and no one is going to come to you to make sure you are doing things according to plan. The research is exceptional and at least in my experience, my PIs have been completely understanding of my objectives with the program and need for excellent grades. And the research itself is beyond exciting and there is so much encouragement for you to succeed. Many of the PIs also provide much academic advising and guidance in the medical school application process.
I would say the program is competitive. You will not do well by putting in minimal effort. It may be easy to pass but it takes a lot of work to get As. But it is so rewarding and you will gain so many skills: reading literature efficiently, enhanced critical thinking, etc... In addition, the volunteering and clinical opportunities are immense and I have loved every single one of mine.
Yes, there are some glitches here and there (trying to register for mandatory courses that are accidentally scheduled at the same time, maybe sometimes too competitive, etc...) but the experience is absolutely still worth it. I have never gotten the impression from anyone that many of us would be matriculating into the MD program. Also, the amount of things you learn here and the depth at which you do is invaluable. Lastly, if you choose to pursue a Ph.D. or go into industry, an MSBS degree might be a lot more useful than an MS in physiology or Anatomy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would mostly disagree. The program is wonderful in so many aspects. Obviously, like anything else it has its flaws. There are so many resources for advising. Dr. Hanss, the program director, always makes himself available to help us and give us advice and its always practical and optimistic. This process of wanting to apply to medical school is obviously draining and competitive and he is the best person to break it down for you so you don't get overwhelmed.
Every professor and TA that I have had as an instructor has been amazing. You are really learning from some of the best and it's exciting. They have always been available outside of class. Pretty much all the resources are available to you as long as you ask for it. The expectation here is that we are adults and no one is going to come to you to make sure you are doing things according to plan. The research is exceptional and at least in my experience, my PIs have been completely understanding of my objectives with the program and need for excellent grades. And the research itself is beyond exciting and there is so much encouragement for you to succeed. Many of the PIs also provide much academic advising and guidance in the medical school application process.
I would say the program is competitive. You will not do well by putting in minimal effort. It may be easy to pass but it takes a lot of work to get As. But it is so rewarding and you will gain so many skills: reading literature efficiently, enhanced critical thinking, etc... In addition, the volunteering and clinical opportunities are immense and I have loved every single one of mine.
Yes, there are some glitches here and there (trying to register for mandatory courses that are accidentally scheduled at the same time, maybe sometimes too competitive, etc...) but the experience is absolutely still worth it. I have never gotten the impression from anyone that many of us would be matriculating into the MD program. Also, the amount of things you learn here and the depth at which you do is invaluable. Lastly, if you choose to pursue a Ph.D. or go into industry, an MSBS degree might be a lot more useful than an MS in physiology or Anatomy.
Hello!

Would you be able to speak to the curriculum? The website mentions courses such as RCR and Core Curriculum, however, I cannot find any information or details about these classes.

Would you also be able to talk about the support network at ISMMS? Will I find professors who take the time to form rapports with the students? Is it easy to make appointments with deans? Are the students left to their own devices?

Thank you for answering my questions!

Hello!

Would you be able to speak to the curriculum? The website mentions courses such as RCR and Core Curriculum, however, I cannot find any information or details about these classes.

Would you also be able to talk about the support network at ISMMS? Will I find professors who take the time to form rapports with the students? Is it easy to make appointments with deans? Are the students left to their own devices?

Thank you for answering my questions!
Hi! Sorry I am only seeing this now because I don't use SDN. Here is the info about the curriculum: There are 3 different cores in the MSBS program you can cheese between:

1) Systems Biomedicine Core: Fall Semester you are expected to take the systems biomedicine class (8.5 credits), Introduction to Biostatistics (2 cr. for the MPH version and 3 credits for the Advanced Biostatistics version), and your research credits (4 cr.). Lastly, there is a pass/fail course that is required called Responsible Conduct in Research (0.5 cr.). In the Spring you are expected to take 2 out of 3 core classes. They are quantitative physiology, biomedical modeling, and drug discovery (3 cr. Each). Again, there is Rigor and Reproducibility, which is a 0.5 cr. pass/fail course, and another 4 cr. of research.

2) Neuroscience Core: First year you are expected to take Neuroscience core classes (core I, core II, and core III and each are 3 credits for a total of 9 credits). They happen consecutively but core II splits between Fall and Spring Semester with winter break in between. Fall Semester you are also expected to take Introduction to Biostatistics (2 cr. for the MPH version and 3 credits for the Advanced Biostatistics version), your research credits (4 cr.) and Responsible Conduct in Research (0.5 cr. Pass/fail). In the Spring you also have to take Rigor and Reproducibility (0.5 cr. pass/fail) and another 4 cr. of research.

3) Biomedical Science Core: Fall Semester you are expected to take Biomedical Sciences I ( 6 cr.), Introduction to Biostatistics (2 cr. for the MPH version and 3 credits for the Advanced Biostatistics version), your research credits (4 cr.) and Responsible Conduct in Research (0.5 cr. Pass/fail). In the Spring you take Biomedical Science II (6 cr.), Rigor and Reproducibility (0.5 cr. pass/fail) and another 4 cr. of research.

You can additionally take whatever electives you choose during these semesters. However, most students (I think maybe all) only opt to take their core courses during the first semester while they adjust. In the Spring, most students take between 0-2 electives (mostly 0 and 1).

In terms of support, there are plenty of professors, in addition to your PI that you will do research with, that you can establish relationships with. And often they provide you with all sorts of advice for your career, outside academic help. There is a lot of help available but its up to you to reach out for it, which involves recognizing what you need. That being said, this is most of the professors. There are always a few who are less responsive/ difficult to reach. But you need to initiate for the most part which is understandable. They will usually be very responsive. Making appointments with deans is typically pretty easy. I hope this answers your question.

Hi! Sorry I am only seeing this now because I don't use SDN. Here is the info about the curriculum: There are 3 different cores in the MSBS program you can cheese between:

1) Systems Biomedicine Core: Fall Semester you are expected to take the systems biomedicine class (8.5 credits), Introduction to Biostatistics (2 cr. for the MPH version and 3 credits for the Advanced Biostatistics version), and your research credits (4 cr.). Lastly, there is a pass/fail course that is required called Responsible Conduct in Research (0.5 cr.). In the Spring you are expected to take 2 out of 3 core classes. They are quantitative physiology, biomedical modeling, and drug discovery (3 cr. Each). Again, there is Rigor and Reproducibility, which is a 0.5 cr. pass/fail course, and another 4 cr. of research.

2) Neuroscience Core: First year you are expected to take Neuroscience core classes (core I, core II, and core III and each are 3 credits for a total of 9 credits). They happen consecutively but core II splits between Fall and Spring Semester with winter break in between. Fall Semester you are also expected to take Introduction to Biostatistics (2 cr. for the MPH version and 3 credits for the Advanced Biostatistics version), your research credits (4 cr.) and Responsible Conduct in Research (0.5 cr. Pass/fail). In the Spring you also have to take Rigor and Reproducibility (0.5 cr. pass/fail) and another 4 cr. of research.

3) Biomedical Science Core: Fall Semester you are expected to take Biomedical Sciences I ( 6 cr.), Introduction to Biostatistics (2 cr. for the MPH version and 3 credits for the Advanced Biostatistics version), your research credits (4 cr.) and Responsible Conduct in Research (0.5 cr. Pass/fail). In the Spring you take Biomedical Science II (6 cr.), Rigor and Reproducibility (0.5 cr. pass/fail) and another 4 cr. of research.

You can additionally take whatever electives you choose during these semesters. However, most students (I think maybe all) only opt to take their core courses during the first semester while they adjust. In the Spring, most students take between 0-2 electives (mostly 0 and 1).

In terms of support, there are plenty of professors, in addition to your PI that you will do research with, that you can establish relationships with. And often they provide you with all sorts of advice for your career, outside academic help. There is a lot of help available but its up to you to reach out for it, which involves recognizing what you need. That being said, this is most of the professors. There are always a few who are less responsive/ difficult to reach. But you need to initiate for the most part which is understandable. They will usually be very responsive. Making appointments with deans is typically pretty easy. I hope this answers your question.
Thank you so very much! This was super helpful. I accepted my spot and need to register for classes this week. Glad I hopped back on today. I appreciate your candidness and thoroughness. I will be on the Neuro track, even though I heard that it's the least selective track. Please free to add anything else on tests or classes that come to mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so very much! This was super helpful. I accepted my spot and need to register for classes this week. Glad I hopped back on today. I appreciate your candidness and thoroughness. I will be on the Neuro track, even though I heard that it's the least selective track. Please free to add anything else on tests or classes that come to mind.
Hey! How is the program going for you? I've just been waitlisted but I think I have a strong chance of getting in. Are you can you confirm/deny their effectiveness at getting students into MD programs?