Mount Sinai MSTP

Started by Keren04
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Keren04

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the MSTP program like at Mt Sinai? Are the grad school classes students have to take for the PhD a lot harder than the normal MD classes? I'm considering going to a new Masters Program that is 2 yrs and mimics the curriculum of the PhD program - you take the same classes in the first year as PhD students and work in a lab for 2 yrs. As someone who wants to go to med school, would it be worth it for me to do this program and then apply for med school? I got into med schools abroad that are very good but I'm not sure if I want to leave the US. Would this program help me get into a good med school in the US? And even if it does, is it worth the 2 yrs and the 2 yrs of tuition (~60 K)? I'd have to take it all out in loans.

Thanks!
 
Keren04 said:
What is the MSTP program like at Mt Sinai? Are the grad school classes students have to take for the PhD a lot harder than the normal MD classes?

I have a friend as a MD/PhD at Mt Sinai now. If I remember correctly what he told me, the MD/PhD students take a combination of MD and graduate coures. And if there's overlapping between these two, say embryology or cell/molecular bio, they often have to take the graduate classes (ie the hard-core ones). So basically, you are right.