Mount Sinai Waitlist '08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmcnam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was placed on the waitlist in mid March and interviewed in mid February. At the interview, Dean Barnett said that half of the new class comes off the waitlist. I called after I got the email and was told that 150 students are on the waitlist. Does anyone think this sounds about right? Looking at last year's thread, there were 400 on the wait list according to someone who called. Has anyone learned anything about their list since then? Is it ranked?

Also, I need a bit of advice. I wrote them a letter which served as an update, explained my detailed interests in the school and stated that I would attend if accepted. I can't think of anything else to say but it seems as if many people write two letters. Has anyone been through this before? From word of mouth, does anyone know what to do?

Members don't see this ad.

don't know the answer to most of your questions, but i'd just like to say i'm in for the waiting at Sinai as well!! if it's only 150 compared to 400 last year, our chances seem pretty good!

According to what they told us at that minority second look thing, there are 400 people on the waitlist. The most they've ever taken off is 100, and the least is 40.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i was accepted at mt. sinai...but it's always been my second choice...i really want to stay at the Univerisity at Buffalo for med school (i did my undergrad at UB)

here's hoping i get accepted off the waitlist there so one of you can have my spot!

Well, it could be that 400 are waitlisted and 150 decide to remain on the waitlist. Something along those lines?

It seems odd that there would be such a disparity in the number of waitlisted individuals from year to year, i.e. 400 waitlisted last year and only 150 this year. I'm guessing that the number waitlisted stays the same while the number of people deciding to stay on the waitlist and the number eventually accepted would vary.

aaj, are you set on Stony Brook or are you still trying to get off the waitlist at Mount Sinai? You were so into Sinai! Stony Brook's pretty awesome too. I have a friend who's finishing up 3rd year there. He loves it. :)

Well, it could be that 400 are waitlisted and 150 decide to remain on the waitlist. Something along those lines?

It seems odd that there would be such a disparity in the number of waitlisted individuals from year to year, i.e. 400 waitlisted last year and only 150 this year. I'm guessing that the number waitlisted stays the same while the number of people deciding to stay on the waitlist and the number eventually accepted would vary.

aaj, are you set on Stony Brook or are you still trying to get off the waitlist at Mount Sinai? You were so into Sinai! Stony Brook's pretty awesome too. I have a friend who's finishing up 3rd year there. He loves it. :)
If i get into sinai, i'd go there no matter what. Even if it's like, the day before orientation starts. I will do ANYTHING to get off this waitlist. I've already sent a letter of intent last month, and will be sending an update in about two weeks. I went to that minority revisit that they invited waitlisted minorities to. I am having more LORs sent. I am trying everything. But assuming i don't get in, i'll probably be going to stony brook.

I'm rooting for you!

I can't beleive they've taken upwards of 100 people off their waitlist. That is insanely good for you since it gives you a good chance of getting off.

I will likely be withdrawing unless their financial aid package is comparable to the ones I got at Pitt and NU.

I hope you get in too aaj!

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance. I hope you all get into Mt. Sinai!

If i get into sinai, i'd go there no matter what. Even if it's like, the day before orientation starts. I will do ANYTHING to get off this waitlist. I've already sent a letter of intent last month, and will be sending an update in about two weeks. I went to that minority revisit that they invited waitlisted minorities to. I am having more LORs sent. I am trying everything. But assuming i don't get in, i'll probably be going to stony brook.

I bet you'll be the first person that they admit from the waitlist. I'm rooting for you too! :luck::luck::luck:

Aww thanks for the support everyone! god everyone who posts on sinai threads is always so nice, haha it just makes me even more eager because i want them to be my future classmates.

I'd just like to reiterate that if anyone knows anything concrete about the waitlist at Sinai, it would be great if you could post it here. Going to Sinai will give me a chance to stay close to my seven younger siblings (not to mention the fact that it's phenomenal), so I'm very eager to hear some positive news. Good luck to everyone!

I'd just like to reiterate that if anyone knows anything concrete about the waitlist at Sinai, it would be great if you could post it here. Going to Sinai will give me a chance to stay close to my seven younger siblings (not to mention the fact that it's phenomenal), so I'm very eager to hear some positive news. Good luck to everyone!
as i posted above, the admissions people specifically told us that therea re currently 400 people on the waitlist, and that they don't know how many they'll need to take off this year yet obviously, but the most they've taken is 100 and the least is 40 in the past.

Finaid is out! I got a decent package so I think I will be holding onto my acceptance for now (unless I decide to go elsewhere). Even still, Best of luck to you aaj!

Members don't see this ad :)
Finaid is out! I got a decent package so I think I will be holding onto my acceptance for now (unless I decide to go elsewhere). Even still, Best of luck to you aaj!

If you don't mind me asking, did they give you grants? I always heard they had a small endowment, but it's nice to hear someone is getting a good deal from them.

does anyone know how the waitlist looks at this point?
i know last week there were still more people holding acceptances then there were spots in the class, but this was a couple days before May15

the committee is meeting on June 4th. Dr. Barnett said that it's hard to tell at this point how active the wait list will be.

omg...is anyone else ridiculously anxious for june 4th?

omg...is anyone else ridiculously anxious for june 4th?

YES YES, Mount Sinai is the last school I am waiting to hear back from. I can't wait for this whole process to be done with and you?

this whole med school applications process has been less than fun. Interviewed at five schools, rejected from one, and waitlisted at four. Sinai is by far my first choice though!

YES YES, Mount Sinai is the last school I am waiting to hear back from. I can't wait for this whole process to be done with and you?

Super rooting for you, esp. since you going to Sinai would mean a spot opens up at Miami! :)

Super rooting for you, esp. since you going to Sinai would mean a spot opens up at Miami! :)

Thank you!

A spot might open up regardless because I might take the other option I was talking to you about. Its closer to all my family in NY. Will keep you posted when I make my decision. Best of luck.

i just got off of another waitlist and will be giving up my spot at Sinai in the next couple of days, as soon as everything is confirmed. just thought i'd let you all know that another spot will definitely be opening up. good luck everyone!!

i just got off of another waitlist and will be giving up my spot at Sinai in the next couple of days, as soon as everything is confirmed. just thought i'd let you all know that another spot will definitely be opening up. good luck everyone!!

thanks for your post! it's nice to hear news like this. congrats!

I'm rooting for you guys on the waitlist! I hope I see everyone in the fall, because that would make our class super awesome.

the committee is meeting on June 4th. Dr. Barnett said that it's hard to tell at this point how active the wait list will be.
First of all, sorry to bump this b/c I'm sure you all just had a heart attack like I always do every time this is bumped haha. But anyways, just curious, who told you that the committee is meeting on June 4? I spoke to the admissions office today and they said the meeting won't occur until next week or the week after..:(

i was told last monday that the meeting would be June 4, but Im guessing that they must not have any open spaces yet, otherwise they would be meeting tomorrow and not waiting until next week or the week after.

First of all, sorry to bump this b/c I'm sure you all just had a heart attack like I always do every time this is bumped haha. But anyways, just curious, who told you that the committee is meeting on June 4? I spoke to the admissions office today and they said the meeting won't occur until next week or the week after..:(
the lady that answered the phone on may 21 said june 4. as someone else said maybe the class is still full.

the lady that answered the phone on may 21 said june 4. as someone else said maybe the class is still full.
i sent in an update email and got an email back from dr barnett saying "congratulations on your recent accomplishments - we still have more people holding spots than we have room for, so will not take people off the wait list for a bit - we appreciate your continued interest and encourage you to keep in touch" on May 26th

I'm not entirely sure what's going on..but I called the admissions office today at like 4 and the woman who answered said they are having the meeting tomorrow....maybe she was mistaken? :confused:

just got accepted to my #1 school...so i will be withdrawing from mt. sinai in the next few days

good luck everyone...i'm so excited!!!

any news?
none yet...does anyone want to call? Since people have been getting differing information? i thought i was done with going crazy over things like this, but apparently not.

i called ... they met today at 4 ... the decisions for the waitlist will be coming out in the next week or two

I'm surprised that there hasn't been significant movement yet. MSSM tends to have a pretty decent usage of the WL. Anyways, best of luck to you all!

Im so happy I found this thread.... Ive been posting on the official Sinai Class thread, hoping to get answers...

Im waitlisted as well and Sinai is definitely my top choice... I hope I hear some good news soon

I GOT IN!!!! 13 minutes ago i got an email!!!!

I GOT IN!!!! 13 minutes ago i got an email!!!!

Congrats, aaj! Well deserved, and best wishes to you at Sinai! Hope some of us will be joining you...

Congrats aaj!!! You worked really hard to get that acceptance!!

Congrats aaj!! I've been routing for you!

THANKS everyone!!!! AHHH I have never been so excited! I called my boyfriend the moment i got the email, woke him up out of a dead sleep, and started screaming hysterically at him hehe. Hope everyone else here has good luck and we all get to be classmates!!!

congrats AAJ!!!I think everyone was rooting for you to get this acceptance :)

Wow! Congratulations aaj. I'm dying to get off of the Mount Sinai waitlist too!! It's always been my first choice and I'm still hopeful. Here's hoping to more movement!

aaj, congrats. Your definitely deserve it. Excellent job. I think I dropped a tear :cry:

WOOOH AAJ!!!!!!!!! YAAAAY :hardy::hardy::hardy:

Hey, congrats aaj that is fantastic! If you don't mind me asking, was it a personalized email notification or a mass email? I'm wondering if lots of people got off the waitlist this morning or if you were a special case. Thanks and congrats!

Hey, congrats aaj that is fantastic! If you don't mind me asking, was it a personalized email notification or a mass email? I'm wondering if lots of people got off the waitlist this morning or if you were a special case. Thanks and congrats!

I think there were several people accepted this morning, though my rationale for this is kinda shaky. Up to today, the Sinai 2012 facebook group had been holding steady at 38 people for a couple of weeks at least, and then today all of sudden it jumped 2 people, to 40. That's my theory, at least :rolleyes:

It also seems like this will be a slow year for the sinai waitlist. Most schools seemed to be fairly conservative with acceptances, and it's possible that the people who were accepted to sinai decided not to withdraw for the most part, more so than other years. Sigh....