Mount Sinai Waitlist '08

Started by mmcnam
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think that's the case because I sent two LOI's and I got the email. My guess is that they are about to deliberate on the next group of people at the top tier of the waitlist but want to narrow it down by removing those who are no longer interested in being considered.....but who knows, right?



so much for that theory..thanks for the post though. i hope i don't have a letter waiting for me tomorrow or later this week. i do have to wonder, though, how they're deciding who's emailed and who's rejected. if they didnt email me as a sign they're giving me the ax, why wouldnt i have been canned yet? i dont want to well up in too much wishful thinking...😳
 
it sounds like getting that email can be a good or bad thing. either you're at the bottom of the list and they want to see which ones down there wants to take themselves off to save others, or it's because everyone else is getting the ax.

all this guessing probably isn't healthy, let's just wait and see... 😕
 
I decided not to respond to the email, thus giving up my spot on the waitlist. Good luck to the rest of you.

I never responded to the original waitlist offer, and i still got the email asking if I was still interested many months later. (I thought if I didn't respond, they would assume I'm not interested in the waitlist) it might be better for you to actually let them know you're not interested instead of not responding.

Anyway, good luck to those of you who still waiting to hear back!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think that's the case because I sent two LOI's and I got the email. My guess is that they are about to deliberate on the next group of people at the top tier of the waitlist but want to narrow it down by removing those who are no longer interested in being considered.....but who knows, right?

that does make sense... i feel like they should just reject at least three quarters of their waitlist though. it doesn't make sense to keep a hundred or so people on the list if only 10 max are getting in. and there hasn't been a post on the waitlist thread in two days. things are definitely slowing down, especially in the top tier schools.
 
i did not get the e-mail and still have not gotten a rejection letter...and i live right across the park from sinai...anyone else?
 
i did not get the e-mail and still have not gotten a rejection letter...and i live right across the park from sinai...anyone else?


still didnt get it either...and i'm just a few blocks away. does anyone think it would be wrong to ask the admissions office what the purpose of that email was? i could see it being obnoxious to ask..but i could also make a case for it being knowledge that applicants could have, esp if the school was so open about its other waitlist actions. thoughts?
 
still didnt get it either...and i'm just a few blocks away. does anyone think it would be wrong to ask the admissions office what the purpose of that email was? i could see it being obnoxious to ask..but i could also make a case for it being knowledge that applicants could have, esp if the school was so open about its other waitlist actions. thoughts?

go for it. i don't think i'm brave enough, but they don't ask your name usually. and i don't think it's that obnoxious.
 
go for it. i don't think i'm brave enough, but they don't ask your name usually. and i don't think it's that obnoxious.

agreed! and i am also definitely not brave enough...

if you call, please post whatever you find out🙄
 
i got brave and called, but not brave enough because i didn't ask about the email. they said that they keep their list of '08 applicants open until august 17th because some students drop out at the last minute. they also said that i am not rejected, even though there might still be time for a hypothetical letter to arrive. my application is "still open and under consideration". i didn't want to ask about the email because i didn't want to admit to using SDN, which all the admissions people generally laugh at. so ashamed... anywho, other info that gets gathered would be much appreciated. there's still an hour to call! asking how many people are still under consideration would be very useful - i forgot to ask that one!
 
Is anyone holding a spot at another school while waiting for sinai? If so, what are you doing about housing? I am holding a spot at Temple which doesn't have housing so I've had to find my own place. I have a place but i am afraid to sign a lease because what if I get into sinai last minute? And I can't tell the owner about the situation because then they won't rent the place to me cuz they'll be afraid I might screw them last minute... Any ideas?
 
Is anyone holding a spot at another school while waiting for sinai? If so, what are you doing about housing? I am holding a spot at Temple which doesn't have housing so I've had to find my own place. I have a place but i am afraid to sign a lease because what if I get into sinai last minute? And I can't tell the owner about the situation because then they won't rent the place to me cuz they'll be afraid I might screw them last minute... Any ideas?


i know the feeling... i've applied for an apartment near my school and i've also bought a new car, so i'm pretty heavily banking on not going to sinai just because of how slow this waitlist year is. the person i'm planning on living with is applying in her name and we have a firm agreement that i won't leave her hanging if i do decide to attend sinai. i'll pay the first months rent until someone else comes along (and i don't think it'll take too long). what i'm really worried about is getting my tuition back from the school - i start in late july and sinai starts in mid august. tuition is due in late july, so i think i would be horrendously depressed if i couldn't get my 20k back and had to borrow it all over again 🙁
 
yeah, i got an apartment with a bunch of other people...i figured it would be easier that way instead of trying to sublet/deal with a studio or one bedroom...and i'm waiting until the very last minute to buy a car, etc...it would be worth absorbing whatever extra costs if mount sinai were to let me in...
 
Okay, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one having these anxieties. And mmcnam, I got some info from Dr. Barnett about how late I could hear from Sinai. He said they can't make an offer to you once you have started your orientation. Which means, you don't have to worry about making payments to your school and then getting an offer and having to try and get your money back. But on the downside, that means we know we can't get offers once we start. Not sure if that's a Sinai rule spefically or a new rule for all schools or what because there are stories of people getting off waitlists like two weeks after they start school.
 
wow, that's really good to know. i would be worrying for two weeks straight... but that also decreases my chances of getting in 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
no news on my end 🙁 my mom keeps threatening to call the admissions office... i just bought a new car the other day and that ain't in sinai's budget, so while i would be happy to get in that could make things tight...
 
spoke to them last week and they said the admissions committee would be meeting in the next "week or 2" - not very helpful...has anyone heard anything from them recently - either getting in or getting a rejection? Do they notify by phone or e-mail if you get an offer? assume it's snail mail for rejections
 
spoke to them last week and they said the admissions committee would be meeting in the next "week or 2" - not very helpful...has anyone heard anything from them recently - either getting in or getting a rejection? Do they notify by phone or e-mail if you get an offer? assume it's snail mail for rejections

offer was by email
 
no news on my end 🙁 my mom keeps threatening to call the admissions office... i just bought a new car the other day and that ain't in sinai's budget, so while i would be happy to get in that could make things tight...

I think the worse thing your mom can do for you is call the admissions office. Though the admissions staff are extremely nice, you don't want to send the wrong message!

Good luck waitlisters, I was one myself until my lucky day
 
Last edited:
Ok, so I am a non-traditional applicant for this current cycle. My degree is in civil engineering with not so stellar overall GPA (2.95). However, my post-bacc overall for the pre-req sciences are a 3.90. I just completed the MCAT yesterday, so I don't really know what my score is yet. I actually wanted to know what your scores were of the people who got accepted immediately, waitlisted then accepted, and denied. I'm freaking out because I want to go to medical school more than anything, especially at Mt. Sinai. Oh, and I've got about 100 hours vounteering at the local hospital and I've actually been a full-time engineer since 2005 (not sure if the working and school thing will work in my favor). Thanks for any input!
 
Ok, so I am a non-traditional applicant for this current cycle. My degree is in civil engineering with not so stellar overall GPA (2.95). However, my post-bacc overall for the pre-req sciences are a 3.90. I just completed the MCAT yesterday, so I don't really know what my score is yet. I actually wanted to know what your scores were of the people who got accepted immediately, waitlisted then accepted, and denied. I'm freaking out because I want to go to medical school more than anything, especially at Mt. Sinai. Oh, and I've got about 100 hours vounteering at the local hospital and I've actually been a full-time engineer since 2005 (not sure if the working and school thing will work in my favor). Thanks for any input!

in my opinion, this guy is both barking up the wrong tree (ie trying to get personal info from us poor waitlisters) and inappropriately prying.

your gpa is very low, so not to be retailiating with harshness, but you probably won't get into sinai with a 2.95 no matter how difficult your major was. i had a 3.9 and that was extremely helpful - no one cared that i got straight A's in comparative lit and writing courses as opposed to tougher engineering classes because there's a sense of parity among all academic disciplines to admissions committees. good luck, but apply broadly and to less competitive schools. my very good friend was rejected everywhere two years running because he thought med schools would overlook his low GPA for other things. look at DO schools.

and no, i won't tell you my mcat score.
 
Ok, so I am a non-traditional applicant for this current cycle. My degree is in civil engineering with not so stellar overall GPA (2.95). However, my post-bacc overall for the pre-req sciences are a 3.90. I just completed the MCAT yesterday, so I don't really know what my score is yet. I actually wanted to know what your scores were of the people who got accepted immediately, waitlisted then accepted, and denied. I'm freaking out because I want to go to medical school more than anything, especially at Mt. Sinai. Oh, and I've got about 100 hours vounteering at the local hospital and I've actually been a full-time engineer since 2005 (not sure if the working and school thing will work in my favor). Thanks for any input!

You should do a search on MDApps.

MilkmanAl got a 3.0 to work. It's possible.http://forums.studentdoctor.net/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=6935936

Apply broadly... and don't marry yourself to Sinai. I loved Yale, and it really burned me up inside that I didn't even get an interview. 🙁 🙁