Mount Sinai Waitlist '08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think there were several people accepted this morning, though my rationale for this is kinda shaky. Up to today, the Sinai 2012 facebook group had been holding steady at 38 people for a couple of weeks at least, and then today all of sudden it jumped 2 people, to 40. That's my theory, at least :rolleyes:

It also seems like this will be a slow year for the sinai waitlist. Most schools seemed to be fairly conservative with acceptances, and it's possible that the people who were accepted to sinai decided not to withdraw for the most part, more so than other years. Sigh....

Unfortunately I think that rationale makes a lot of sense. Someone posted earlier that their class was more than full about a week ago, so I can only assume they accepted just enough to fill the class again today. I guess we can only hope for waitlist movement at other schools to help us out - also, this is one of the latest adcom meetings they've had in a few years. I'm kinda let down by all this because they said they'd let in as many as 50 people off the waitlist. Does anyone know exactly how many people are on the waitlist now? I called today but I was told to call Monday by an angry lady. I don't blame her though - I bet lots of people bother them nowadays.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately I think that rationale makes a lot of sense. Someone posted earlier that their class was more than full about a week ago, so I can only assume they accepted just enough to fill the class again today. I guess we can only hope for waitlist movement at other schools to help us out - also, this is one of the latest adcom meetings they've had in a few years. I'm kinda let down by all this because they said they'd let in as many as 50 people off the waitlist. Does anyone know exactly how many people are on the waitlist now? I called today but I was told to call Monday by an angry lady. I don't blame her though - I bet lots of people bother them nowadays.
It was me that posted that their class was more than full, from an email i got from Dean Barnett after I sent in an update letter. Also, when i went to the minority revisit they said that there were 400 people on the waitlist (this was mid-april), and that the most they'd ever taken off the waitlist in the past was 100 and the fewest was 40. It looks like this year may be a record low. I do know one other person who got off the waitlist yesterday, i think she was emailed about 15 minutes after I was? Not totally sure.

It was me that posted that their class was more than full, from an email i got from Dean Barnett after I sent in an update letter. Also, when i went to the minority revisit they said that there were 400 people on the waitlist (this was mid-april), and that the most they'd ever taken off the waitlist in the past was 100 and the fewest was 40. It looks like this year may be a record low. I do know one other person who got off the waitlist yesterday, i think she was emailed about 15 minutes after I was? Not totally sure.

400 people on the waitlist is probably not accurate anymore. If you look at the waitlist thread, several people have gotten into other schools and withdrawn from sinai at this point. I do agree on this being a record low, but I didn't think it would be this low

Members don't see this ad :)
400 people on the waitlist is probably not accurate anymore. If you look at the waitlist thread, several people have gotten into other schools and withdrawn from sinai at this point. I do agree on this being a record low, but I didn't think it would be this low
yeah they gave us the number 400 on April 11th, so i'm sure it's changed a little since then.

hey guys, I have a question, is MT Sinai a really good medical school? Don't laugh please

Mount Sinai is an EXCELLENT medical school not only because of its stellar academic reputation, but also because of its dedication to community service and amazing campus community. The students and administration are really happy and welcoming people.

Hope some of you guys hear good news from Mt. Sinai sometime soon! Its a great school, too bad I didnt apply to it this year.

I checked the facebook group again today, and it went up by another person :(. Seems like they're all female, though. I wonder if demographically more women than men withdrew?

any news? :-/

I called today, and the lady who answered the phone said that they did pull off some people from the waitlist last week, and that they'll be meeting again in two weeks (I'm guessing that's to fill any spots that are left by people who decline the offers already given out). It seemed like a well-rehearsed answer; I guess all of us crazy Sinai hopefuls were calling too much to ask about the waitlist :rolleyes:. Man, can't more people decide that they don't like Sinai and go somewhere else to give the rest of us a chance?? :laugh:

Thanks for checking and posting what you found out. We should get some kind of system going where one person on this thread calls instead of all of us, because I can't bear to make them angry by asking the same questions all over again.

everyone at sinai should enjoy their mo mo mojitos.

Hey what does everyone think about how effective a letter of intent would be at this stage?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey what does everyone think about how effective a letter of intent would be at this stage?
it seemed to help me. it certainly can't hurt, so if this is what you really want then go for it.

Mt Sinai is the bomb. I was super close to matriculating there. Sometimes I wish I was going to!! (but that would be the same no matter which of the schools I was choosing between I eventually chose). AAJ I'm so stoked that you got in. You wanted it so bad, and it worked out! YAY!

I got an email June 5th taking me off the waitlist.. All the best to those still waiting!

I got an email June 5th taking me off the waitlist.. All the best to those still waiting!

Wait..did you ask to be pulled off the list or are they just taking people off of it now??

just sent an email to withdraw from Mt. Sinai after getting in at my #1 school

hope one of you gets it!

Wait..did you ask to be pulled off the list or are they just taking people off of it now??

No no, I meant being accepted off the waitlist. They didn't just cross my name off :)

I wrote an LOI.

has anyone heard anything recently...does anyone know if they are going to have another meeting soon?

Mt Sinai is the bomb. I was super close to matriculating there. Sometimes I wish I was going to!! (but that would be the same no matter which of the schools I was choosing between I eventually chose). AAJ I'm so stoked that you got in. You wanted it so bad, and it worked out! YAY!

Where are you going, Goldtop?

has anyone heard anything recently...does anyone know if they are going to have another meeting soon?

i think that last week someone posted that the adcom would be meeting again this week....not sure if that's still the case :confused:

any news from sinai? anyone call? i'm going nuts.

I called today and they told me that the committee would be meeting next week. I don't think the lady I talked to knows what she is talking about as she has given me incorrect information in the past. I remember speaking to Jessica last week and she said they'd be meeting this week.

This waiting is really killing me. These dates keep coming when I am hoping to hear something and then I don't and its another two weeks of waiting before I can even hope to hear something. I want to get in so badly but this is just so hard. :scared::(

telllll me about it!!! :mad:

anyone hear anything???

anyone hear anything this week?
last i heard they were meeting this week, but the secretary told me a day later that they were meeting the week after.

i clearly haven't heard anything :-/ wish i knew if i had a shot. i want to go to sinai sooooooooo badly.

They met on thursday, yesteday, but they only accepted 1 or 2 people.

They met on thursday, yesteday, but they only accepted 1 or 2 people.

hi moxie - where did you get this info from? how much more movement do you guys think we can expect? i'm about to sign a lease on an apartment in atlanta... slowest waitlist period in history :(

I got that info from Jessica. And then emailed Dean Barnett who said there has been very little movement thus far but that could change. Emory is the other school i'm waitlisted at so if I can't get into Sinai, hopefully you will so I can at least have a chance at Emory.

did everyone get that email asking you to confirm you still want to stay on the waitlist?

did everyone get that email asking you to confirm you still want to stay on the waitlist?

I didn't :-( but i've sent them a lot of updates since being waitlisted in march....

I didn't :-( but i've sent them a lot of updates since being waitlisted in march....

That's probably why, I haven't sent them anything for a while.

I got the email on Friday too... I'm doubtful about my chances though since I didn't interview well there at all. Here's to hoping though (for all of us!).

By the way, when you guys call, do you just find out about the admissions process or can you ask about your own chances? I'm thinking of calling tomorrow... I think I've been too quiet.

if you hear anything/call, let us know what they say!!!!:)

they won't tell you anything about your application status specifically (except that you're still waitlisted) They are happy to discuss how things are looking with waitlist movement in general, when the next committee meeting is, etc.

i didnt get an email and its tuesday.... i guess that is a bad sign... im not in anywhere... also waitlisted at drexel... i hope one of them works out... i live in bk so sinai would be awesome... also sinai is really highly ranked.

I got that info from Jessica. And then emailed Dean Barnett who said there has been very little movement thus far but that could change. Emory is the other school i'm waitlisted at so if I can't get into Sinai, hopefully you will so I can at least have a chance at Emory.

while i'm glad to be able to go to emory, i'd love to save on tuition and not have to deal with 70k/year. and i love sinai for so many more profound reasons. i never got an email asking me if i'd like to remain on the waitlist. what could that mean? maybe i'm next in line for rejection or acceptance... shame there's such a big difference there...

Do we know if they are rejecting people from the waitlist? I've seen from past threads that they do but have they started doing so this year???

I spoke with someone in the admissions office last week and didn't look to good :(...This year they put around 400 people on the waitlist and it has been an extremely slow year for the waitlist. More people that usual who were offered a spot accepted. Consequently there are only a "handful" of waitlisters that will be offfered spots. Also, they are in the process of shortening the waitlist and will be rejecting a large number of people off the bottom of the waitlist soon. Sorry for the bad news, but it is nice to know how things are looking...

I spoke with someone in the admissions office last week and didn't look to good :(...This year they put around 400 people on the waitlist and it has been an extremely slow year for the waitlist. More people that usual who were offered a spot accepted. Consequently there are only a "handful" of waitlisters that will be offfered spots. Also, they are in the process of shortening the waitlist and will be rejecting a large number of people off the bottom of the waitlist soon. Sorry for the bad news, but it is nice to know how things are looking...

thx for sharing, SAS. sigh... it does look bad... :(

Uh-oh, this doesn't look so good for those of us who didn't hear from them about wanting to stay on the waitlist.

no, it doesn't.

anyone hear anything??? :-/

Officially got the rejection in the mail today. :( I was sort of expecting it since I didn't get the email about staying on the waitlist, but that doesn't make it suck any less.

I decided not to respond to the email, thus giving up my spot on the waitlist. Good luck to the rest of you.

i did not receive that email asking if i wanted to stay on the list, but i also did not get a rejection letter today. i live 5 blocks from sinai, so i assume if they were sent out at the end of last week, I would have gotten it. someone above posted that the email may have gone to people who have not been in touch...i've been emailing them like crazy, so they know i want to stay on. just wanted to give that bit of hope...good luck everyone! stay positive...

someone above posted that the email may have gone to people who have not been in touch...i've been emailing them like crazy, so they know i want to stay on. just wanted to give that bit of hope...good luck everyone! stay positive...

I don't think that's the case because I sent two LOI's and I got the email. My guess is that they are about to deliberate on the next group of people at the top tier of the waitlist but want to narrow it down by removing those who are no longer interested in being considered.....but who knows, right?