Mounting Diagnostic Cast on Articulator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Toothache

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the fastest way to mount diagnostic casts and make it look clean and nice. Are there are products for sale that are a mold where I can place my plate and fill it with stone and then sit my cast on top of it (considering the cast is generally consistent in dimension)

Members don't see this ad.

What is the fastest way to mount diagnostic casts and make it look clean and nice. Are there are products for sale that are a mold where I can place my plate and fill it with stone and then sit my cast on top of it (considering the cast is generally consistent in dimension)

Not sure if there are any products to assist with this or not but it's not worth the money in my opinion. I can count on one hand the number of cases I've mounted since I graduated.

Reactions: 1 user
They have actual silicone type base plate formers for your model to pour up your stone. Look up “dental lab model former” on amazon and you can see some sets. For the plaster when mounting, buffalo knife/mesh screen to remove coarse plaster, fine grit sandpaper with water for a fine finish. Keep in mind, in private practice, a lot of mounted casts/digital wax ups are being done digitally now. I only polished things up to make it look nice for the prosth department at school so they wouldn’t grade me down.

Reactions: 1 user