Mounting stone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkk55555

Reaction score
Does anyone have tips on how to smooth out your mounting stone? i know expansion is a problem so just looking for some tips

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have tips on how to smooth out your mounting stone? i know expansion is a problem so just looking for some tips

Use ortho stone or die stone to a smooth consistency, wet finger during set, finish with fine grit sandpaper then use Model glow model soap (or Mop N' Glo) for an irresponsibly shiny mounting.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Use ortho stone or die stone to a smooth consistency, wet finger during set, finish with fine grit sandpaper then use Model glow model soap (or Mop N' Glo) for an irresponsibly shiny mounting.
If it has set already and i need to smooth it out now , is it okay to use water and sand paper? or do i need to use sandpaper dry?

Thanks for the help!

If it has set already and i need to smooth it out now , is it okay to use water and sand paper? or do i need to use sandpaper dry?

Thanks for the help!

Running water and sandpaper. If it is hideously rough to the point where you cannot sand it down, you need to add, let it set a little, then smooth. If you have absolutely no time and it is super rough, get slurry water to make sure it sets in a minute or less, smooth with wet finger, then as soon as it's not mushy anymore, sandpaper wet and polish with model soap.

Use two step technique: first mount models using a small amount of stone, second fill the space around and smooth it with hand when stone is soft set under running water to achieve the shape desired.
Glue models together before mounting in desired bite using sticks to avoid expansion discrepancies

Use two step technique: first mount models using a small amount of stone, second fill the space around and smooth it with hand when stone is soft set under running water to achieve the shape desired.
Glue models together before mounting in desired bite using sticks to avoid expansion discrepancies

That's smart. Sometimes we're so focused on smooth and shiny, we forget that the mounting should be accurate as well. Although, as a disclaimer, I haven't facebow'd or mounted a case since I graduated dental school. Even then, we were always focused on fast, smooth and shiny.