Move to school's city during early summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind becoming acquainted with whatever city I end up going to during the summer before school starts. How many people are planning to move to their future med-school's city in May or June before M1? If you're planning on moving early, do you foresee any problems finding housing and/or money?

Members don't see this ad.

It totally depends on the city and what I plan on doing that summer. If I have a job, then I am not going to get up and leave because it will be find to hard work in that new city for only about 2 months. I don't think it will be too hard to find housing anywhere you go as long as you can get in touch with some other students and make plans, etc.

A numer of schools offer pre-matriculation program that let you taste med school before it actually begins. As a bonus some schools pay you to be there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on moving as soon as I possibly can. I have to know where I'm headed first and sell my house. Probably in May.

i definitely want to go early if money permits.

marr said:
A numer of schools offer pre-matriculation program that let you taste med school before it actually begins. As a bonus some schools pay you to be there.

interesting. could you name a few schools

most people will not move to the city early (usually they get to the city a week before classes start). i go to a med school on the east coast, and everyone that i've met that come from california searched for apartments online, signed a contract, took the flight to here, and bought a car, all in that one week period. i don't really see the point of moving to a new place in may or june... you might as well just enjoy life during the summer, do everything that you wanted to do, and spend that time with family and friends, because once classes start, you will be practically isolated from all of that. as for trying to get to know a new city, there's no harm in that. but be aware that with all the studying you will be doing, it won't make much difference to know where all the hot restaurants or clubs are since you won't have time to go anyway.

fielight,
Yeah, I did that a couple of years ago when I moved across the country for graduate school. Only I arrived a day and a half before classes began.

VDPcurt, I agree - it depends on the city.