You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Movie recommendations
Started by cfdavid
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
when i read the first post, i thought it was referring to movies out in theatres.
i just saw bloody valentine 3d with the wife. cool to see a movie in 3d, but the movie was average quality for horror. if you're a family person, hotel for dogs was actually really good family movie.
i wanna see gran turino. looks pretty good.
yes i spelled theatres the ol' english way to add coolness factor.
i just saw bloody valentine 3d with the wife. cool to see a movie in 3d, but the movie was average quality for horror. if you're a family person, hotel for dogs was actually really good family movie.
i wanna see gran turino. looks pretty good.

yes i spelled theatres the ol' english way to add coolness factor.
Not enough comedies listed! How about:
Office Space
So I Married an Axe Murderer
Kingpin
There's Something About Mary
Joe Dirt
Van Wilder
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I second Gran Torino...it was incredible - a great character study (though I am slightly biased to its filming locale)...
Not enough comedies listed! How about:
Office Space
So I Married an Axe Murderer
Kingpin
There's Something About Mary
Joe Dirt
the Heartbreak kid
Meet the parents/fockers
wedding crashers
anchorman
swingers
christmas vacation
vacation
knocked up
superbad
american pie
the big lebowsky
40 year old virgin
mall rats
old school
raising arizona
clearly I should be studying at this point
Not enough comedies listed! How about:
Office Space
So I Married an Axe Murderer
Kingpin
There's Something About Mary
Joe Dirt
The Jerk
The Royal Tenenbaums
History of the World, Pt 1
A Fish Called Wanda
Pineapple Express
not comedies but would like to add
Pan's Labyrinth
Dark City
The Jacket
The Fountain
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
The Professional
and foreign (yes subtitles), but a must:
Delicatessan
City of Lost Children
and... Battle Royale, although it's a bit odd to recommend ("hey you should watch this movie where a class of Japanese 7th graders are put on an island and have to hunt each other to survive this madman's game..." usually makes people walk away), it's a cool flick.
Gran Turino was pretty damn good. I liked it.
I've heard from some friends that Bruno is pretty funny (although extremely obscene, but who wouldn't expect that?), but I don't know if I trust the opinions of my high school buddies. I'll probably watch it in the next few weeks for kicks.
I've heard from some friends that Bruno is pretty funny (although extremely obscene, but who wouldn't expect that?), but I don't know if I trust the opinions of my high school buddies. I'll probably watch it in the next few weeks for kicks.
In the theme of Lock Stock and Snatch
Layer Cake
Rock n Rolla
also
smokin aces
revolver (very weird but interesting)
The Ghost and the Darkness
Naked Prey
Pi ( couldnt find the symbol on my keyboard)
Band of Brothers must see
Rescue Dawn true story, I knew Christian Bales character
The Lives of Others
Downfall
Three Kings
Shooter
The Edge
to name a few
Layer Cake
Rock n Rolla
also
smokin aces
revolver (very weird but interesting)
The Ghost and the Darkness
Naked Prey
Pi ( couldnt find the symbol on my keyboard)
Band of Brothers must see
Rescue Dawn true story, I knew Christian Bales character
The Lives of Others
Downfall
Three Kings
Shooter
The Edge
to name a few
Anyone see Bruno? What did you think of it?
I just walked out of seeing Bruno about half way through. I thought it was hilarious but is EXTREMELY obscene, so much so that the wife told me she was going to wait in the car. I watched another 5 minutes and decided i'd better follow 🙂 If your not comfortable with him shock comedy that has him simulating homosexual sex, you will not find it very funny.
haven't seen Bruno yet, but plan on it. not usually into comedies, but that dude cracks me up. (yeah, i know, weird not being into comedies...)
i hope it's not over the top with the "uncomfortableness" though.
i hope it's not over the top with the "uncomfortableness" though.
The Big Lebowski
Slap Shot
The God Father
High Plains Drifter
The Big Lebowski= one of my all time favs. "The dude abides."
also...
Real Genius
The Great Outdoors
007 Casino Royale
The Royal Tenenbaums
Unbreakable (if you like M Night Shyamalan)
The Fugitive
Top Gun
Out Cold
Fight Club
Boondock Saints
Snatch
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Shawshank Redemption
Requiem for a dream
Full Metal Jacket
Snatch
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Shawshank Redemption
Requiem for a dream
Full Metal Jacket
Not my typical "genre" (if you can label it that way), but this is not only a good movie, but a great trilogy. Very cool movies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Excalibur wishes he could remember as much anesthesia knowledge as he does movie potpourri.
too tired to write all of it, but will just hit high points for now.
Amen to Top Gun...The last dogfight is still awesome to watch..."Voodoo 1, Voodoo 1, we are totally defensive, I am engaged with 5...REPEAT 5!! How 'bout some help God d a m n it!!"
The Professional--best scene for me is when Matilde realizes her family has been massacred as she returns from the grocery store, and casually walks by her own apartment seeing her family murdered, and pretends she is going to the apt next door, she then knocks on Leon's door (the professional hitman played by Jean Reno). You then get the POV through the peephole and you see her terrified face as she whispers "Please, open the door ... Please." This is intercut with Leon's conflicted face of whether or not he should help out this little girl and put himself in jeopardy. Brilliant.
The Silence of the Lambs--best scene.. the scene where Lecter is in that "jail cell" in Memphis and while Clarice wants to know the identity of Buffalo Bill, Dr. Lecter wants her to finish her story of what happened to her after she moved to her cousins' sheep and horses ranch in Montana after her father's murder. Clarice states one day she "just" ran away. "Not just, Clarice. You started at what time?" "Early, still dark" "Then something woke you, didn't it? Was it a dream? What was it?" "I heard a strange noise" "...What was it?" "Screaming...like a child's voice" ............... "what did you see Clarice, what did you see?" "Lambs." "They were slaughtering the spring lamb?" "(Nodding) and they were screaming" ........... "What became of your lamb, Clarice" "They killed him" "You sometimes wake up, don't you, wake up in the dark, to that awful...screaming of the lambs" "Yes." The way the cameeras are focused on their faces so intensely during this conversation is great. The director Jonathan Demme said he originally wanted to film Clarice as a young girl witnessing this slaughtering and intercut it with the narrative, but when he saw how good Jodie Foster was at portraying how affected she was by that day, he would have been banned from the directors guild if he would have filmed it any other way than the final print.
-Scent of a woman--There's only two syllables in this world worth hearing...PU SSY. Hah! Are you listening son, I'm giving you pearls here. The final monologue by Pacino is what sealed his oscar win. That monologue, and hell his whole performance in that movie is what great acting is all about.
Comedies? No one has mentioned ghostbusters or Groundhog day???
Platoon--It is tough for me to agree with whomever stated that Full Metal Jacket kicks Platoon's ass. Full Metal Jacket is like two movies, with the first half being awesome all because of one guy...the drill seargent. I have no idea how he wasn't nominated for an academy award (Lee Embrey??) Second half for me is...ok. Platoon, on the other hand, hits on so many more levels than Full Metal Jacket (this is just my opinion). Platoon is a great ensemble piece as well. Not many ensemble movies give so many characters as much depth as Platoon does. Also, Platoon was one of the first movies that I saw that really showed how fu cked up war is. Add to the fact that it is being directed by a Vietnam infantry vet, and you know that some of the stuff he's showing he dealt with in some way. A Platoon divided among itself kind of like a mutiny, killing villagers and a villager's wife in order to get answers, and the crazy look on Barnes' face (Tom Berenger) as he threatens to kill the villager's 6 year old daughter as well if he doesn't start answering questions. He's got the gun right up against her cheek. I watched this movie with my wife recently, who never had seen it, and my wife was going ape****. Let's not forget the American soldiers rape of a young (12-14 y/o?) Vietnamese villager broken up by the gallant Charlie Sheen.
I was in shreveport visiting a friend as they were filming W. there, and my friend stated that there had been sightings of the actors and stuff. We catch up for a while, and about 15 mins later as I swig from my Bud Light and glance to the left who do I see 10 yards from me...Oliver freakin' Stone. I was geeking out. What's your problem, my friends ask. "The guy made Platoon!" I kept saying.
Staying on Stone. JFK is great in my opinion. The courtroom scene at the end has one of the longest uninterrupted speeches/monologues I have seen on film by Kevin Costner playing New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrison. His spiel on what he and his team feel really happened that day in Dallas is mesmerizing. Very well done, Oliver.
Quickly, The Deer Hunter. Not a huge fan of this movie, as it is a long 3 hours, but...ok...that Russian Roulette scene when they are POW's. DAM!!!!!!!!!! "Mao Mao! Mao Mao!" Don't piss off Deniro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw maybe in like a documentary that to add realism to the scene, DeNiro insisted that a live round be put in one of the chambers as they were filming. Not so sure if that is how they filmed it...I think I remember something like the director wanted to check it 1000 times before they actually shot the take with the live round...but that scene looked pretty fukin' intense!! "I do THREE bullets...huh...I do THREE...ONE, TWO, THREE!!! Uh-huh, Now we got a game...you and me"
Yeah, I have Jaws easily 100 times (maybe not in its entirety, but let's say majority) As a kid I had it on tape, and I saw it like daily for a month. I had the same experience with Die Hard.
Star Wars the original trilogy is probably tattooed in my brain. The first Death Star run is another final battle (like Top Gun's) that if you catch it on TV, you just have to finish.
Back to the Future is also great. This movie is good in that many of the things they show you in the beginning are not obvious that they will come back later in the movie. So many movies do that now, that they will inexplicably show you something that has no meaning at the time, and the veteran movie goer will just know that it will come back later, but in Back to the Future, they do a good job of tying in things without making it obvious and really funny.
Netflix is now how I roll. Good Netflix flix
Taken
Apocalypto
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Reservoir Dogs--I love this movie, but lately I have just been feeling like Tarantino just steals so much from other movies as illustrated in the movie Swingers. I just read that in the original "Taking of Pelham 123" with Walter Matthau, that the gangsters used aliases that were in the names of colors like Mr. Blue and such. The article stated that Tarantino paid an homage to this film by using similar aliases in Dogs. Homage? He ****in stole the idea!!
Walter Matthau--Bad News Bears--nuff said
A Few Good Men--I want that dude Harold on my team anyday "...but I think we were right, sir, and I will not dishonor MYSELF, my COUNTRY, or the CORPS, so I can go home in SIX MONTHS! Sir."
Tom Hanks movies
Big
Apollo 13
Saving Private Ryan
Philadelphia
Forrest Gump
and of course...The 'Burbs...i still get a kick of when hanks comes out of the Klopeck's house after it has exploded and he "slides" down those three steps. Cracks me up.
As mentioned previously,
Casino
Godfather I and II. F *ck part III, I kind of gave up on it when Andy Garcia's character states "I got the go ahead from Connie" What a joke.
Goodfellas
Best movie this year?--Star Trek hands down, Hangover is two. Not much else out there
OK now I am really tired!!! Yes there is plenty more in Excalibur's vault and yes this was the short version as I could go on talking about movies all day. I'll have to add a part two when I am fresh. BTW, my quotes and such were off the cuff so please don't come back saying I misquoted some movies.
I didn't even talk about Raiders, Temple of Doom, or the Last Crusade. I don't even want to mention the abomination that was that fourth TURD of an Indiana Jones film.
Good night all!
too tired to write all of it, but will just hit high points for now.
Amen to Top Gun...The last dogfight is still awesome to watch..."Voodoo 1, Voodoo 1, we are totally defensive, I am engaged with 5...REPEAT 5!! How 'bout some help God d a m n it!!"
The Professional--best scene for me is when Matilde realizes her family has been massacred as she returns from the grocery store, and casually walks by her own apartment seeing her family murdered, and pretends she is going to the apt next door, she then knocks on Leon's door (the professional hitman played by Jean Reno). You then get the POV through the peephole and you see her terrified face as she whispers "Please, open the door ... Please." This is intercut with Leon's conflicted face of whether or not he should help out this little girl and put himself in jeopardy. Brilliant.
The Silence of the Lambs--best scene.. the scene where Lecter is in that "jail cell" in Memphis and while Clarice wants to know the identity of Buffalo Bill, Dr. Lecter wants her to finish her story of what happened to her after she moved to her cousins' sheep and horses ranch in Montana after her father's murder. Clarice states one day she "just" ran away. "Not just, Clarice. You started at what time?" "Early, still dark" "Then something woke you, didn't it? Was it a dream? What was it?" "I heard a strange noise" "...What was it?" "Screaming...like a child's voice" ............... "what did you see Clarice, what did you see?" "Lambs." "They were slaughtering the spring lamb?" "(Nodding) and they were screaming" ........... "What became of your lamb, Clarice" "They killed him" "You sometimes wake up, don't you, wake up in the dark, to that awful...screaming of the lambs" "Yes." The way the cameeras are focused on their faces so intensely during this conversation is great. The director Jonathan Demme said he originally wanted to film Clarice as a young girl witnessing this slaughtering and intercut it with the narrative, but when he saw how good Jodie Foster was at portraying how affected she was by that day, he would have been banned from the directors guild if he would have filmed it any other way than the final print.
-Scent of a woman--There's only two syllables in this world worth hearing...PU SSY. Hah! Are you listening son, I'm giving you pearls here. The final monologue by Pacino is what sealed his oscar win. That monologue, and hell his whole performance in that movie is what great acting is all about.
Comedies? No one has mentioned ghostbusters or Groundhog day???
Platoon--It is tough for me to agree with whomever stated that Full Metal Jacket kicks Platoon's ass. Full Metal Jacket is like two movies, with the first half being awesome all because of one guy...the drill seargent. I have no idea how he wasn't nominated for an academy award (Lee Embrey??) Second half for me is...ok. Platoon, on the other hand, hits on so many more levels than Full Metal Jacket (this is just my opinion). Platoon is a great ensemble piece as well. Not many ensemble movies give so many characters as much depth as Platoon does. Also, Platoon was one of the first movies that I saw that really showed how fu cked up war is. Add to the fact that it is being directed by a Vietnam infantry vet, and you know that some of the stuff he's showing he dealt with in some way. A Platoon divided among itself kind of like a mutiny, killing villagers and a villager's wife in order to get answers, and the crazy look on Barnes' face (Tom Berenger) as he threatens to kill the villager's 6 year old daughter as well if he doesn't start answering questions. He's got the gun right up against her cheek. I watched this movie with my wife recently, who never had seen it, and my wife was going ape****. Let's not forget the American soldiers rape of a young (12-14 y/o?) Vietnamese villager broken up by the gallant Charlie Sheen.
I was in shreveport visiting a friend as they were filming W. there, and my friend stated that there had been sightings of the actors and stuff. We catch up for a while, and about 15 mins later as I swig from my Bud Light and glance to the left who do I see 10 yards from me...Oliver freakin' Stone. I was geeking out. What's your problem, my friends ask. "The guy made Platoon!" I kept saying.
Staying on Stone. JFK is great in my opinion. The courtroom scene at the end has one of the longest uninterrupted speeches/monologues I have seen on film by Kevin Costner playing New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrison. His spiel on what he and his team feel really happened that day in Dallas is mesmerizing. Very well done, Oliver.
Quickly, The Deer Hunter. Not a huge fan of this movie, as it is a long 3 hours, but...ok...that Russian Roulette scene when they are POW's. DAM!!!!!!!!!! "Mao Mao! Mao Mao!" Don't piss off Deniro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw maybe in like a documentary that to add realism to the scene, DeNiro insisted that a live round be put in one of the chambers as they were filming. Not so sure if that is how they filmed it...I think I remember something like the director wanted to check it 1000 times before they actually shot the take with the live round...but that scene looked pretty fukin' intense!! "I do THREE bullets...huh...I do THREE...ONE, TWO, THREE!!! Uh-huh, Now we got a game...you and me"
Yeah, I have Jaws easily 100 times (maybe not in its entirety, but let's say majority) As a kid I had it on tape, and I saw it like daily for a month. I had the same experience with Die Hard.
Star Wars the original trilogy is probably tattooed in my brain. The first Death Star run is another final battle (like Top Gun's) that if you catch it on TV, you just have to finish.
Back to the Future is also great. This movie is good in that many of the things they show you in the beginning are not obvious that they will come back later in the movie. So many movies do that now, that they will inexplicably show you something that has no meaning at the time, and the veteran movie goer will just know that it will come back later, but in Back to the Future, they do a good job of tying in things without making it obvious and really funny.
Netflix is now how I roll. Good Netflix flix
Taken
Apocalypto
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Reservoir Dogs--I love this movie, but lately I have just been feeling like Tarantino just steals so much from other movies as illustrated in the movie Swingers. I just read that in the original "Taking of Pelham 123" with Walter Matthau, that the gangsters used aliases that were in the names of colors like Mr. Blue and such. The article stated that Tarantino paid an homage to this film by using similar aliases in Dogs. Homage? He ****in stole the idea!!
Walter Matthau--Bad News Bears--nuff said
A Few Good Men--I want that dude Harold on my team anyday "...but I think we were right, sir, and I will not dishonor MYSELF, my COUNTRY, or the CORPS, so I can go home in SIX MONTHS! Sir."
Tom Hanks movies
Big
Apollo 13
Saving Private Ryan
Philadelphia
Forrest Gump
and of course...The 'Burbs...i still get a kick of when hanks comes out of the Klopeck's house after it has exploded and he "slides" down those three steps. Cracks me up.
As mentioned previously,
Casino
Godfather I and II. F *ck part III, I kind of gave up on it when Andy Garcia's character states "I got the go ahead from Connie" What a joke.
Goodfellas
Best movie this year?--Star Trek hands down, Hangover is two. Not much else out there
OK now I am really tired!!! Yes there is plenty more in Excalibur's vault and yes this was the short version as I could go on talking about movies all day. I'll have to add a part two when I am fresh. BTW, my quotes and such were off the cuff so please don't come back saying I misquoted some movies.
I didn't even talk about Raiders, Temple of Doom, or the Last Crusade. I don't even want to mention the abomination that was that fourth TURD of an Indiana Jones film.
Good night all!
and of course...The 'Burbs...i still get a kick of when hanks comes out of the Klopeck's house after it has exploded and he "slides" down those three steps. Cracks me up.
All great stuff, Exi. Funny how some movies just stick out in my head for no particular reason. I also loved the Burbs. My fav scene is when Hanks is inside the house with the skinny guy with the red hair. I love it when he asks him if the picture is his girlfriend.
"Nope. She came with the picture frame."

gran torino was definitely good.
Check out J.C.V.D (w/ Jean Claude Van Damme)...i liked it alot. Definitely VanDamme's best in a long time.
Check out J.C.V.D (w/ Jean Claude Van Damme)...i liked it alot. Definitely VanDamme's best in a long time.
Big Trouble in Little China
Jacob's Ladder
Groundhog's Day
Jacob's Ladder
Groundhog's Day
So, the movie to rent this weekend is "Suicide Kings."
Christopher Walken ... enough said.
Walken: "You're sorry. SAY you're sorry!"
Oh yeah, and don't forget Ira
I FINALLY got tickets at the IMAX to see this movie...
Anyone see it? Is it as good as everyone keeps telling me it is?
>DreamMachine: I enjoyed Avatar immensely -- gorgeous graphics, solid acting, and sweet fight choreography. The plot is pretty forgettable, but if you like action / sci-fi movies, I'm sure you'll like it 🙂
Last edited:
I enjoyed Avatar immensely -- gorgeous graphics, solid acting, and sweet fight choreography. The plot is pretty forgettable, but if you like action / sci-fi movies, I'm sure you'll like it 🙂
I concur. Saw it in 3d, as well, which was cool. I only did because the ticket price was the same on a Tuesday night or something.
By the way, for the thread, I am a fan of epics:
Braveheart
Gladiator
Last of the Mohicans
300
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Black Hawk Down
Also love ones like Donnie Darko and Cube. And, I know, I know, but I like the plots of some of those Kevin Costner movies despite the other detriments (Dances with Wolves, Waterworld, The Postman, and more recently Mr. Brooks).
Also, I love apocolypse type movies (I am Legend, etc., and I LOVED The Road).
Peace.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GxSDZc8etg[/YOUTUBE]
AMAZING!!!
My father had no problem taking me to "R" rated flicks when I was young. He either thought it would mature me or he needed a companion. Either way I was always excited to go. My favorites were the Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Westerns:
Fist Full of Dollars
The Good The Bad and the Ugly
Hang em High
Outlaw Josie Wells
I never pass on one of these.
Then you would have to like Yojimbo.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Departed. I thought it had everything cool from any gangster movie but was also hilarious.
American History X. - not a nice movie but very good.
Last edited:
I FINALLY got tickets at the IMAX to see this movie...
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdxXPV9GNQ[/YOUTUBE]
Anyone see it? Is it as good as everyone keeps telling me it is?
IMAX 3D was sweet. Incredible graphics. You gonna like it DM.
I would like to add to my list of classic comedies one of my all time favorites:
Spinal Tap-"Our amplifiers go to eleven" An all around great spoof of the rock bands that take themselves a bit too seriously.
Spinal Tap-"Our amplifiers go to eleven" An all around great spoof of the rock bands that take themselves a bit too seriously.
NO KIDDING! Just got back...
You guys have got to see this ****! In IMAX 3D, if possible.
Ridiculous! Sick sick sick! You will not regret it...
![]()
Agreed. I really liked it, but thought it was a little TOO long. And, I like longer movies.
I would like to add to my list of classic comedies one of my all time favorites:
Spinal Tap-"Our amplifiers go to eleven" An all around great spoof of the rock bands that take themselves a bit too seriously.
My favorite quote.
[YOUTUBE]s9F5fhJQo34[/YOUTUBE]
My favorite quote.
[YOUTUBE]s9F5fhJQo34[/YOUTUBE]
Yes!! That's the one. Thanks Bertelman.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes!! That's the one. Thanks Bertelman.
WHAHAHAHAH Classic dude.
I always think of that movie when I see the des vaporizers that go to 12.
+1
Lock Stock & 2 smoking barrels is awesome too
Not true. Neither is Rock n Rolla.Snatch was ok.
Irregardless, they are all the same. Once you have seen one, you have seen them all.
D
deleted50478
Those are a lot of good movies on those lists!
No offense, but there are some bad ones too: Transformers (excluding some really hot Megan Fox shots), 300 (it's like Gladiator with no plot), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Serenity, Pan's Labyrinth, Dark City, Apocalypto (the end is so anti-climactic it destroys the whole movie)
And some terrible ones: Donnie Darko (just kill me before making me hold down the vomit through that piece of crap again), Delicatessan, 2001: A Space Odyssey (terrible because it's the second most boring movie I ever saw (after The Triplets of Belleville and tied with Night Train To Venice)
I usually try to read the bad reviews not just the good ones. I find them the most accurate sometimes, so there are some anti-recommends (or whatever the word is).
No offense, but there are some bad ones too: Transformers (excluding some really hot Megan Fox shots), 300 (it's like Gladiator with no plot), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Serenity, Pan's Labyrinth, Dark City, Apocalypto (the end is so anti-climactic it destroys the whole movie)
And some terrible ones: Donnie Darko (just kill me before making me hold down the vomit through that piece of crap again), Delicatessan, 2001: A Space Odyssey (terrible because it's the second most boring movie I ever saw (after The Triplets of Belleville and tied with Night Train To Venice)
I usually try to read the bad reviews not just the good ones. I find them the most accurate sometimes, so there are some anti-recommends (or whatever the word is).
Last edited by a moderator:
So, the movie to rent this weekend is "Suicide Kings."
Christopher Walken ... enough said.
For Christopher Walken fans, King of New York is a really good one.
Another C.W. hidden gem is DOGS OF WAR. Cool flick about mercenaries.
I'm wasting away my Sunday currently watching "Class". Starring Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy with a bunch of other Brat Packers in there like John Cusack. It's pretty friggin hilarious and pretty much every guy can relate...
cf
Those are a lot of good movies on those lists!
No offense, but there are some bad ones too: Transformers (excluding some really hot Megan Fox shots), 300 (it's like Gladiator with no plot), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Serenity, Pan's Labyrinth, Dark City, Apocalypto (the end is so anti-climactic it destroys the whole movie)
And some terrible ones: Donnie Darko (just kill me before making me hold down the vomit through that piece of crap again), Delicatessan, 2001: A Space Odyssey (terrible because it's the second most boring movie I ever saw (after The Triplets of Belleville and tied with Night Train To Venice)
I usually try to read the bad reviews not just the good ones. I find them the most accurate sometimes, so there are some anti-recommends (or whatever the word is).
I'll stand by by recommendations of Dark City and Pan's Labyrinth any day.
If you enjoy sci-fi, Dark City is on par with Bladerunner, albeit not as sleek and sexy.
I did have the opportunity to see Delicatessin again recently after many years, and it didn't live up to my initial impression, although it is still an interesting watch.
Definitely the movie Coma! Great movie about surgery residents staring Michael Douglas. Very Hitchcock-esque. There is a great induction scene with the anesthesiologist; even if the patient does end up with an anoxic brain injury.
Then you would have to like Yojimbo.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Departed. I thought it had everything cool from any gangster movie but was also hilarious.
American History X. - not a nice movie but very good.
I'm 100% convinced that Edward Norton (a classic "ectomorph") did a roid cycle for that one. For SURE.
BTW, Camel, I love your epic list. Agreed.
Anyone see The Green Zone???
Those are a lot of good movies on those lists!
No offense, but there are some bad ones too: Transformers (excluding some really hot Megan Fox shots), 300 (it's like Gladiator with no plot), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Serenity, Pan's Labyrinth, Dark City, Apocalypto (the end is so anti-climactic it destroys the whole movie)
And some terrible ones: Donnie Darko (just kill me before making me hold down the vomit through that piece of crap again), Delicatessan, 2001: A Space Odyssey (terrible because it's the second most boring movie I ever saw (after The Triplets of Belleville and tied with Night Train To Venice)
I usually try to read the bad reviews not just the good ones. I find them the most accurate sometimes, so there are some anti-recommends (or whatever the word is).
Man, we would totally not get along. Your bad list looks like my good list. Transformers was fine if all you wanted was to be entertained, 300 was pretty good also (definitely not Gladiator-quality though), 28 Days Later was fantastic, one of the better zombie movies I've seen, I'll agree on 28 Weeks Later not being good, I loved Serenity (but the TV show was better), Pan's Labyrinth was amazing, and I haven't seen the last 2.
Donnie Darko was good and terrible at the same time. I liked it enough when I watched it, but I would never want to sit through it again. 2001 was just plain painful.
Hurt Locker was good, but I'd put it in the same class as Jarhead as far as that military genre goes. Avatar this year was good, District 9 was really good, Zombieland was surprisingly good. Sherlock Holmes was OK. Robert Downey Jr carried the movie, though.
Looking forward to Ironman 2. Mmmm Scarlett Johanssen....
My 19 yr old daughter dragged me to see Zombieland. I had little to no interest in it. Then I saw the movie and I was completely surprised how entertaining it was. A nice mix of action, thrills, violence, and comedy. The Bill Murray cameo was the icing on the cake. Completely unexpected outcome there. I will probably purchase that one for my library.
When I posted last, AVATAR had not come out, and I must say that AVATAR for me was the best pic of 2009.
IMAX 3D was incredible!!!
I told my wife that the movie could have been a tour of Pandora, and I would have been impressed. Those floating mountains or whatever were amazing.
Latest netflix viewings include...
Inglourious Basterds...
REMARKABLE. What a gem. Christoph Waltz was well deserving of his Oscar. The amount of tension in that basement bar scene was off the charts. This may contend with Pulp Fiction as Tarantino's best. BTW, does anyone know why it was necessary to cast Mike Myers as a Scottish military officer????
500 Days of Summer...
It was OK/Good. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. This was the Netflix husband/wife trade off so I could watch Basterds.
---Side note. Do any married couples out there experience Netflix "cheating"? You expect one movie in the mail, and your spouse has suddenly moved up one of "her/his" movies up the list for an earlier delivery much to your surprise. I thought Inglourious Basterds was coming and OOPS, its the September Issue--a documentary on the editor in chief of Vogue of whom The Devil Wears Prada was based...what CRAP!!! Opening that package prompted a call into the kitchen of......HONEY?!?!?!?!
Quickly. Documentaries-->Netflix gave me...
MAN ON WIRE.
This was good, and I believe won Oscar for best doc two years ago. Parisian? man who grew up learned the life of circus performers and became very skilled at wire-walking. This man then became famous because in the 1970's he and his team rigged a high wire across the Twin Towers in NYC and the guy was out on the wire for over an hour or something. Quite a spectacle, and I am sure people on this forum recall the actual event. The doc details all the planning that went on for the venture, and was quite compelling.
Next movie from Netflix is the FAMILY GUY'S SOMETHING, SOMETHING, SOMETHING...DARK SIDE. This show really makes me bust out laughing. I am sure this will be no different.
Also soon will be getting Up in the Air, and Sherlock Holmes.
More recently, my wife and I have been watching THE PACIFIC on HBO. Hanks and Spielberg's 10 part miniseries about WWII in the Pacific. It centers around 3 marines. Sunday will be Part 4 if I am not mistaken. I highly recommend it.
Finally, is anyone excited for the summer release of
I am. All the other predator movies were not very good, but this one I believe sticks to the roots, and with Robert Rodriguez involved, I think it will be good.
IMAX 3D was incredible!!!
I told my wife that the movie could have been a tour of Pandora, and I would have been impressed. Those floating mountains or whatever were amazing.
Latest netflix viewings include...
Inglourious Basterds...
REMARKABLE. What a gem. Christoph Waltz was well deserving of his Oscar. The amount of tension in that basement bar scene was off the charts. This may contend with Pulp Fiction as Tarantino's best. BTW, does anyone know why it was necessary to cast Mike Myers as a Scottish military officer????
500 Days of Summer...
It was OK/Good. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. This was the Netflix husband/wife trade off so I could watch Basterds.
---Side note. Do any married couples out there experience Netflix "cheating"? You expect one movie in the mail, and your spouse has suddenly moved up one of "her/his" movies up the list for an earlier delivery much to your surprise. I thought Inglourious Basterds was coming and OOPS, its the September Issue--a documentary on the editor in chief of Vogue of whom The Devil Wears Prada was based...what CRAP!!! Opening that package prompted a call into the kitchen of......HONEY?!?!?!?!
Quickly. Documentaries-->Netflix gave me...
MAN ON WIRE.
This was good, and I believe won Oscar for best doc two years ago. Parisian? man who grew up learned the life of circus performers and became very skilled at wire-walking. This man then became famous because in the 1970's he and his team rigged a high wire across the Twin Towers in NYC and the guy was out on the wire for over an hour or something. Quite a spectacle, and I am sure people on this forum recall the actual event. The doc details all the planning that went on for the venture, and was quite compelling.
Next movie from Netflix is the FAMILY GUY'S SOMETHING, SOMETHING, SOMETHING...DARK SIDE. This show really makes me bust out laughing. I am sure this will be no different.
Also soon will be getting Up in the Air, and Sherlock Holmes.
More recently, my wife and I have been watching THE PACIFIC on HBO. Hanks and Spielberg's 10 part miniseries about WWII in the Pacific. It centers around 3 marines. Sunday will be Part 4 if I am not mistaken. I highly recommend it.
Finally, is anyone excited for the summer release of
PREDATORS
???I am. All the other predator movies were not very good, but this one I believe sticks to the roots, and with Robert Rodriguez involved, I think it will be good.
"La Meglio Gioventu" is the best movie I've seen in many years. Just a film about life..
Oldboy is one of my favorite all-time movies. It's a foreign flick so you'd have to read subtitles but it has a great plot and is one of the more disturbing movies you'll see. They are actually thinking of making an american remake for it as well...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man on Fire
The Pianist
Matrix Trilogy
Pulp Fiction
Secret Window
The Princess Bride
War of the Roses
Beaches
Little Shop of Horror
Saw (the first one was the best)
Ruthless People
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Battle Royalle
The Brady Bunch Movie was surprisingly good
Misery
The Shining
Clue
Beetlejuice
Fight Club
The Butterfly Effect
V for Vendetta
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Young Frankenstein
The Pianist
Matrix Trilogy
Pulp Fiction
Secret Window
The Princess Bride
War of the Roses
Beaches
Little Shop of Horror
Saw (the first one was the best)
Ruthless People
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Battle Royalle
The Brady Bunch Movie was surprisingly good
Misery
The Shining
Clue
Beetlejuice
Fight Club
The Butterfly Effect
V for Vendetta
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Young Frankenstein
Last edited:
Man on Fire
The Pianist
Matrix Trilogy
Pulp Fiction
Secret Window
The Princess Bride
War of the Roses
Beaches
Little Shop of Horror
Saw (the first one was the best)
Ruthless People
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Battle Royalle
The Brady Bunch Movie was surprisingly good
Misery
The Shining
Clue
Beetlejuice
Fight Club
The Butterfly Effect
V for Vendetta
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Young Frankenstein
That is an eclectic list. The Brady Bunch movie being included made me laugh. I have to admit, I actually thought it was pretty funny too. Sort of a guilty pleasure that I would generally not admit to (like buying a Partridge Family CD-What? I like to listen to it when I wash our family bus🙂). I watched it with my kids and actually enjoyed how they made fun of the original series, which I watched every day as a child.
There is a documentary made by a Marine Corps infantry officer called Severe Clear. This is the real deal on how it really is in the life of a infantryman in combat. Takes place in 2003 during the initial invasion of Iraq. I promise you, you will probably never see anything like this!
Do not let children watch it. You will see death, collateral damage, and close combat engagements.
http://severeclear.wordpress.com/
Do not let children watch it. You will see death, collateral damage, and close combat engagements.
http://severeclear.wordpress.com/
Last edited:
just saw it last night despite some bad reviews.
it was a really good movie IMO. takes a different path and maybe that turned some people off, but honestly i thought it was pretty darn good. good cinematography, good story line, great battle scenes, good budget..... highly recommend it.
Ridley Scott is the director, so perhaps i shouldn't be so suprised.
it was a really good movie IMO. takes a different path and maybe that turned some people off, but honestly i thought it was pretty darn good. good cinematography, good story line, great battle scenes, good budget..... highly recommend it.
Ridley Scott is the director, so perhaps i shouldn't be so suprised.
just saw it last night despite some bad reviews.
it was a really good movie IMO. takes a different path and maybe that turned some people off, but honestly i thought it was pretty darn good. good cinematography, good story line, great battle scenes, good budget..... highly recommend it.
Ridley Scott is the director, so perhaps i shouldn't be so suprised.
Eh, I thought it was alright. Definitely liked the different spin on the tale, but I felt it came out lacking in the "epic" department.
I think part of the problem is that every time Ridley Scott comes out with something, I keep hoping for the next Gladiator, and that's just going to be tough shoes to fill.