Moving during application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kermie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be moving in November, but I just found out that my current email will no longer be valid (primary form of communication for medical schools). Should I start notifying schools from now? I am a little worried about mixing things up.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm moving in a couple of weeks as well, although my phone number isn't changing. i know we need to notify amcas. do we also need to notify schools individually or do they continually get data from amcas?

I don't think we should rely on AMCAS on dispersing information. Maybe we should call each school, write each school about the change.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're supposed to get updates from AMCAS, but I wouldn't count on it. I would call or email every admissions office with my new info.

i'm also going to be moving again in may! maybe i'll just give them my parent's address since i know they won't be moving!

don't call or email either.

some schools say that ANY changes in your app need to go through AMCAS and say that any changes in your app need to be IN WRITING.

I will be moving in Jan, but i have a different game plan. I will be sending one email/letter to AMCAS to send to schools, and in addition to that, i will be writing a letter to each school saying ...."I have informed AMCAS that my new address is now...etc. Please keep it for future reference."

A week after that, I will call the individual schools to make sure that each one is updated on my info.

Kinda painstaking, but you can't count on anybody but yourself these days. Even if you paid over $1000 dollars to forward your application in time. :(

Originally posted by lola
i'm moving in a couple of weeks as well, although my phone number isn't changing. i know we need to notify amcas. do we also need to notify schools individually or do they continually get data from amcas?

do both.

change it on amcas and email all the admission's offices.

I would try and find a way to keep your email address until next July/August. If it is at a university, you could make an passionate plea to keep it until then. If it through another source, also make a plea. If you are changing ISPs, mine will let you keep a basic account for $5 or $10 a month--money well spent at this critical time

Originally posted by JBJ
I would try and find a way to keep your email address until next July/August. If it is at a university, you could make an passionate plea to keep it until then. If it through another source, also make a plea. If you are changing ISPs, mine will let you keep a basic account for $5 or $10 a month--money well spent at this critical time

Unfortunately, there is no way I can keep my email account. It is my work account and as soon as you finish, they terminate your email. But thank you all for your advice!