Moving far away for a job, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HealingTouch23

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a new grad and I recently left home for a full time retail job in a remote area. It's difficult to find housing and so I'm living off of motels/airbnb, etc. It's getting a bit difficult and I miss home. However, I want to tough it out for a couple of months before I try to see if I can relocate, either at this job or another. Am I doing the right thing? Should I have settled for a part time job closer to home? It's crazy busy store and I don't feel it's right or safe for me to work alone, being a new pharmacist. Sometimes theres not even a tech. I don't know if I walked into a wrong situation or if this is the path to get to something better.
 
Better get used to it...

Ask your tech for apt around the area. Housing in BFE is dirt cheap and most of the time don't need 1 yr lease.
 
You do what you have to do to earn a living. I advise everyone to always be concerned that if a practice threatens your license (even if someone else could do it safely with theirs), you should find somewhere else to work rather than risking someone's life or their practice. I'd try to treat this like an adventure if I were you and not a temporary thing. If you treat this as temporary, then you'll never look at what's around you. That said, keep looking around home if that's where you want to return.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Agree with the above poster.

When starting out you do what you gotta do.

Work hard and be on the look out for jobs in other areas.
 
I'm a new grad and I recently left home for a full time retail job in a remote area. It's difficult to find housing and so I'm living off of motels/airbnb, etc. It's getting a bit difficult and I miss home. However, I want to tough it out for a couple of months before I try to see if I can relocate, either at this job or another. Am I doing the right thing? Should I have settled for a part time job closer to home? It's crazy busy store and I don't feel it's right or safe for me to work alone, being a new pharmacist. Sometimes theres not even a tech. I don't know if I walked into a wrong situation or if this is the path to get to something better.

If you're in a remote location try to land a per diem job in a nearby hospital, preferably one with other system hospitals in more desirable areas. Then gtfo when you transfer to a real hospital gig. Remote hospitals are often willing to take on RPh with no experience or residency. Do it.
 
I'm a new grad and I recently left home for a full time retail job in a remote area. It's difficult to find housing and so I'm living off of motels/airbnb, etc. It's getting a bit difficult and I miss home. However, I want to tough it out for a couple of months before I try to see if I can relocate, either at this job or another. Am I doing the right thing? Should I have settled for a part time job closer to home? It's crazy busy store and I don't feel it's right or safe for me to work alone, being a new pharmacist. Sometimes theres not even a tech. I don't know if I walked into a wrong situation or if this is the path to get to something better.

If I were you I would just buy a minivan and live in it. No point in renting or buying property if you are going to be there for less than 3 years.