Moving for 3rd and 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyeblue0610

Texas MD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know location is at the top of the list in deciding which schools to apply to, but what about moving for clinicals.

Location is very important for me but then I remember how some schools have clinicals in a different city. I REALLY don't like the idea of going somewhere else. I've heard more than one med student call 3rd year "hell"
Is it that bad? Or do people just not really care or think about it that much.

So it's bad enough having a crazy schedule back and forth in a hospital and still trying to study AND being in a completely different place.

Do most schools have 3rd and 4th year in the same place for 1st and 2nd or is moving more common.

I'm mostly looking at Texas schools and my first instinct was to not apply to those schools but that wouldn't be a good idea since I think at least 4 do have you move.

Members don't see this ad.

Location is very important for me but then I remember how some schools have clinicals in a different city. I REALLY don't like the idea of going somewhere else.

Emm...well, honestly, almost every single medical school that I've heard of has its students do their rotations in a variety of locations. At Jefferson, it's possible (but not guaranteed) that you'll do all your rotations in Philadelphia, but that's kind of unusual.

I know you don't like the idea of moving around - nobody does. But it's usually only for a few weeks at a time. And it's beneficial to see how different types of hospitals in different locales work.

I've heard more than one med student call 3rd year "hell"

So it's bad enough having a crazy schedule back and forth in a hospital and still trying to study AND being in a completely different place.

Well, third year can be hell, but not because you're in a different location. Third year has a new set of challenges, and that can stress out a lot of people.

If you're set to do a rotation at an away hospital, you will probably be given housing that is close to the hospital. So you don't usually have to commute far. And being in a "completely different place" may seem daunting now - but you'll manage. On some rotations, you probably won't even notice since you'll barely be outside of the hospital. :laugh:

Lots of med students do rotations at away hospitals every year, and they all manage just fine.

Some rotations at some away hospitals are actually easier - the attendings are more laid back, and there are fewer patients to take care of. It may be easier to get honors at these locations. Doing your rotation at the hospital affiliated with your med school is almost guaranteed to be a "harder" rotation, because the attendings are usually more stressed, are usually well known in the academic community, and are usually more demanding.

hi smq. What year are you at Jeff. I am interviewing Feb 20th I am getting a little nerves. I have been acp at Temple and Drexel. I am afraid it is a little late for interviews. How long will it take to let me know? with April approaching.. When I interviewed at the other schools I did walk around Jeff. campus. it seemed nice. I diff. don't like gunners I feel everyone is trying and we should help each other. I want a school that you class mates become friends not stab you in the back.... friendly plus where is the best place to live? thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm mostly looking at Texas schools and my first instinct was to not apply to those schools but that wouldn't be a good idea since I think at least 4 do have you move.

Texas Tech has clinical space at Amarillo and El Paso in addition to Lubbock. I think that the minority of students stay in Lubbock if my memory serves me correctly.

I agree that most places have multiple options for the clinical years.

Well, third year can be hell, but not because you're in a different location. Third year has a new set of challenges, and that can stress out a lot of people.

That's the hell I meant. I know that year is stressful, but isn't being a a new place and trying to adjust to it just as stressful. I can't think of any right off the top of my head but what about some rotations in an area where the weather is a huge shock. Say going from the main campus during the winter in moderate cold to a snowstorm common area:eek:

hi smq. What year are you at Jeff. I am interviewing Feb 20th I am getting a little nerves. I have been acp at Temple and Drexel. I am afraid it is a little late for interviews. How long will it take to let me know? with April approaching.. When I interviewed at the other schools I did walk around Jeff. campus. it seemed nice. I diff. don't like gunners I feel everyone is trying and we should help each other. I want a school that you class mates become friends not stab you in the back.... friendly plus where is the best place to live? thank you

* I am a third year.
* It is not late for interviews. The class is not full yet - you're not interviewing for the waitlist. Nobody ever interviews for the waitlist at Jefferson, as far as I know.
* It will take 1-3 weeks to find out if you've been accepted.
* There is no "best place" to live. If you get in, then you will get a lot of information about finding an apartment, etc. :)

Good luck at the interview! :luck:

That's the hell I meant. I know that year is stressful, but isn't being a a new place and trying to adjust to it just as stressful. I can't think of any right off the top of my head but what about some rotations in an area where the weather is a huge shock. Say going from the main campus during the winter in moderate cold to a snowstorm common area:eek:

We don't send people THAT far away! :laugh: The weather in Pittsburgh (Mercy) is similar to the weather in Danville (Geisinger), which is more or less the same as it is in Philadelphia.

You don't really need to worry about trying to "adjust" to a new place - you won't be living there forever. Your main concern at the time, I guarantee, will be trying to adjust to the hospital - which is what happens on EVERY single rotation (no matter which hospital!). Every single rotation, even ones that are in the same hospital building, is run a little differently and the expectations are different. You won't have time to really care about "adjusting" to a new city.

You'll get your meals in the hospital - just as you would if you were at Jefferson, so you don't need to worry about finding a grocery store. If you have a health problem, you will go to the hospital's ER, so you don't need to worry about finding a doctor. You'll be given housing or given instructions on how to secure housing - you won't have to search for it. And if there is a problem, you can always talk to the rotation director at that particular hospital.

A lot of people loved doing their rotations out in Pittsburgh or Danville. They said that the atmosphere was more relaxed, the attendings were friendlier, and they got a chance to do a lot more cool stuff because there are fewer residents there.

I know location is at the top of the list in deciding which schools to apply to, but what about moving for clinicals.

Location is very important for me but then I remember how some schools have clinicals in a different city. I REALLY don't like the idea of going somewhere else. I've heard more than one med student call 3rd year "hell"

Do most schools have 3rd and 4th year in the same place for 1st and 2nd or is moving more common.

Well, it depends on the school, but for most schools, in third year you are usually in the same basic area/city as the first two years, you go to whatever hospitals the school has set up rotations with. This can involve a commute for some, but doesn't usually involve moving. In fourth year you often do away rotations (aka audition rotations) at places you might consider applying, so that can be in a totally different city for a month or two.

The challenge of 3rd year has little to do with being in a different city. It is an issue of very long hours (in some rotations), high expectations, and the fact that you rarely know exactly what you are supposed to be doing (and the folks who are supposed to teach you are often interns learning themselves). It is the stress of a lot of folks at what really amounts to their first job; just when they got good at the classroom stuff, everything changes to a subjective system.