Moving for instate tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabedoc192

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently applying for the 2018-2019 cycle, and I am planning to move states in July. My significant other has family there, and we plan on staying there long term. The tuition would be much cheaper as an in state resident, which is why we are moving 1 year prior to matriculation, in hopes to be classified as an instate resident.

My question is, should I hold off on submitting my application until after I move, for the purpose of admissions committee viewing my application as instate rather than out of state? I know my residency wouldn't officially kick in until working there for 1 full year, however because there is such an instate bias at this school, I am hoping this could work to my benefit.

cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.4

MCAT 508

Of note, I will be applying broadly, however we figured the cost savings could be worth it in the long run, even if moving for 1 year means moving again to wherever I am accepted.

Thank you for any insight you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am currently applying for the 2018-2019 cycle, and I am planning to move states in July. My significant other has family there, and we plan on staying there long term. The tuition would be much cheaper as an in state resident, which is why we are moving 1 year prior to matriculation, in hopes to be classified as an instate resident.

My question is, should I hold off on submitting my application until after I move, for the purpose of admissions committee viewing my application as instate rather than out of state? I know my residency wouldn't officially kick in until working there for 1 full year, however because there is such an instate bias at this school, I am hoping this could work to my benefit.

cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.4

MCAT 508

Of note, I will be applying broadly, however we figured the cost savings could be worth it in the long run, even if moving for 1 year means moving again to wherever I am accepted.

Thank you for any insight you can give!
But what if you don't get into the state school at all and have to move? Also, most states have laws about how you are a resident so check on those because they vary. Some require a year living there will a job and paying taxes and all that

Yeah I have checked on the residency requirements, so I will be working full time for 1 year prior to matriculation which qualifies as a resident. If I don't get accepted, then we would have to move again, which is the risk, however there could also be a huge cost savings if I do get in. I know it seems unconventional, which is why I am trying to get some feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I have checked on the residency requirements, so I will be working full time for 1 year prior to matriculation which qualifies as a resident. If I don't get accepted, then we would have to move again, which is the risk, however there could also be a huge cost savings if I do get in. I know it seems unconventional, which is why I am trying to get some feedback!
if its works out its definitely worth it though so go for it. The only reason it seems unconventional is because this process is so random there isnt a way to predict which school you get into otherwise everyone would do it. Definitely plausible though Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Residency for tuition purposes != Residency for admissions != Residency for everything else. I would check with the admissions office for what they consider to be instate/strong ties to the state before you commit.

I moved partially due to applying to medical school but it was also from a state with 1 instate school to a state with multiple schools so it was beneficial in my case.

I wouldn't make this move for just one school, but if I could be considered an in state resident of Texas and make it work with my family and educational situation right now, I'd move tomorrow.

I do see where you said it would be cost effective to move just for one year even if you had to move again. I don't think being considered an in state resident would work until after you lived/worked there for a year, so that in state bias wouldn't actually work to your benefit until the 2019-2020 application cycle.

I have talked with someone in admissions, and I was told that once I move, I will need to submit a request for instate consideration, and If I live in the state for 1 year prior to August 2019, then I will get in state tuition. Should I submit my AACOMAS application now with my current address, or wait until July to submit my application with my new address?