Moving States for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommytwoties

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to posting on this website because I am searching for serious advice. I am close to graduating with my BS degree and am hoping to go to medical school afterwards. Now, I am actually hoping to go to a specific out of state school, and have come up with the following plan.

Move to the state and take a gap year there to adhere to their requirements of residency so that I will not have to pay out of state fees for medical school and hopefully matriculate the following year. I am looking for advice from people who might have done this or have similar plans and serious advice.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am new to posting on this website because I am searching for serious advice. I am close to graduating with my BS degree and am hoping to go to medical school afterwards. Now, I am actually hoping to go to a specific out of state school, and have come up with the following plan.

Move to the state and take a gap year there to adhere to their requirements of residency so that I will not have to pay out of state fees for medical school and hopefully matriculate the following year. I am looking for advice from people who might have done this or have similar plans and serious advice.

Thank you!

Solid plan

*Provided, as you said, you adhere to their requirements for residency

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Thank you!
Don't mean nothing if we don't know the state.

I know you can do this for OH, FL, and NY. But you need to look at each state's rules so you don't miss anything (ie. Save utilities bills, can't be primarily there for school, etc)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to do this for Texas make sure you do your research on how to become a legal resident. It would be a waste of time if you didn't abide by all the requirements lol

Best of luck my friend.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you!
Just make sure to be highly productive in your gap year if you do this.

Also, some states allow you to become residents after a year which makes the extra cost not so bad and probably not worth a gap year if you don't need it.

I'm hoping to go to MN and have read their terms of residency which is one full year and intentions of staying there for reasons other then school which I plan to provide. In my gap year I just plan to work and live and keep volunteering and creating a history there to show that I plan to stay in that State.

Just make sure to be highly productive in your gap year if you do this.

Also, some states allow you to become residents after a year which makes the extra cost not so bad and probably not worth a gap year if you don't need it.

I didn't see anything about this when I was looking at my school's terms of residency, do you think it would be worth contacting the school over?

So just from looking at MSAR it looks like you're talking about the University of Minnesota. Just a heads up, that's a lot of time and effort to get in-state tuition there, and that's all assuming you'll get in. I don't know you're stats or anything, but given the pretty well total lack of guarantees in this whole applying to med school process, there's always the possibility that you don't get in there. Would you still apply to other places and then just pick up and move again if you don't make it into U of M?

So just from looking at MSAR it looks like you're talking about the University of Minnesota. Just a heads up, that's a lot of time and effort to get in-state tuition there, and that's all assuming you'll get in. I don't know you're stats or anything, but given the pretty well total lack of guarantees in this whole applying to med school process, there's always the possibility that you don't get in there. Would you still apply to other places and then just pick up and move again if you don't make it into U of M?

I'm trying to plan a little farther into the future here but I hope to be exceptional when applying, U of M is basically my first and only choice for this because I'm hoping to be in that specific city for family reasons. If I don't get accepted there I suppose I would just stay in my home state and go somewhere here.