moving to australia after pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kemist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a US trained pharmacist move to Australia and work there? Is it just a matter of passing the Australian version of the NAPLEX?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a pharmacist friend in Aust I can email and ask if you like... might take a while for her to reply though.

Thanks! I have this fantasy... Get into pharm school, work in the states for awhile, then work in Australia or New Zealand.

Members don't see this ad :)
No probs, I'll email her then. I'll let you know what she says. I know you'll definitely need a work visa though, and I'm not sure how strict Australia is in giving out visas. I know they like to give them out for jobs that have a shortage, particularly nurses. Not sure about pharmacists though.

I would like to live in New Zealand! And yes, they have a shortage of pharmacists. I filled out the "statement of interest" thingy on the website of their immigration department as if I was a licensed pharmacist, and I could have totally immigrated there.

Go sheep and rodent sized insects!:D

How's the salary for pharmacists in other parts of the world like Australia? Is it as good as in the US?

Can a US trained pharmacist move to Australia and work there? Is it just a matter of passing the Australian version of the NAPLEX?

Out of curiosity may I wonder what would motivate you to move to Australia after pharmacy school ? Are you planning to immigrate there permanently or just move there for a couple years ?

How's the salary for pharmacists in other parts of the world like Australia? Is it as good as in the US?

Um, I don't think so. When I left there, like 6 yrs ago, to become a pharmacist you only needed a B.Pharm or M.Pharm and the pay was maybe $50,000-60,000. As far as I know, nothing's changed.

My friend wasn't too sure on the specifics of what you'd need to do so she directed me to the Pharmacy Board of NSW website:

http://www.pbnsw.org.au/index.php?action=1#C

Basically, you have a pass an exam, do some supervised practice in Australia (4 weeks), then pass an assessment by the Pharmacy Board of NSW. I'm not sure if this is the same in other states.

Hope this helps. In any case, this was good research for me in case I ever want to live there again.

What is the climate like in in Australia? When I watched the first Mad Max movie, I thought that a lot of the areas looked like parts of central Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe in the outback, but who the hell lives there?!

I lived in Sydney, and majority of the population live somewhere along the coast. GORGEOUS weather in Sydney... very similar to San Diego, but WAY better beaches. If you're a surfer, you will LOVE Australia. Come to think of it, why'd I ever leave? Oh, yeah... that was before I knew I'd be living in Central Texas :mad:

If you ever get the opportunity, it's a really nice place to live or visit. Definitely recommend it.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
\

If you ever get the opportunity, it's a really nice place to live or visit. Definitely recommend it.

I second that. It's such a great place! Check out Byron Bay and Surfers Paradise if you get over there.

Hey Tharper1, just curious--why did you come to the states, especially after you finished your degree in Australia? Were the work prospects not that good in AU? Was it just UT (and its pharmacy program) that brought you to central Texas?

Hey Tharper1, just curious--why did you come to the states, especially after you finished your degree in Australia? Were the work prospects not that good in AU? Was it just UT (and its pharmacy program) that brought you to central Texas?

I fell in love. He didn't want to live in Australia... love makes you do crazy things ;) We were living in S.Cali for a while, but then he decided to join the army not long ago and now here I am in the middle of *lovely* Texas. Funny how life works out, huh?

I fell in love. He didn't want to live in Australia... love makes you do crazy things ;) We were living in S.Cali for a while, but then he decided to join the army not long ago and now here I am in the middle of *lovely* Texas. Funny how life works out, huh?

If you are at Fort Hood, I really feel your pain.

Yes, aren't military towns wonderful? It'll be a nice change to move to Austin. I still have a glimmer of hope...

Killeen is honestly one of the crappiest places in the state. My dad was at Fort Hood when he retired, so I've spent a lot of years in that area.

Before moving there, we had recently lived on bases in Honolulu and San Francisco... Big change.

Ah, so you're well accustomed to the crappy military life. Hawaii and SF would have been pretty cool, but I'm sure you lived in just as many hellholes.... including Killeen.

Killeen is honestly one of the crappiest places in the state. My dad was at Fort Hood when he retired, so I've spent a lot of years in that area.

Before moving there, we had recently lived on bases in Honolulu and San Francisco... Big change.

I second that

Australia sounds awesome! I would love to at least visit. We gotta move somewhere where it is warm after I graduate because my wife has Reynauds. So that gives us an awesome excuse to move away from Chicago. We are thinking Florida or California.

I've been to australia twice (bf lives there) and i'm going to NZ the end of May (so excited!!! bf currently works there lol).
I've been around melbourne in the summer (our winter) and its gorgeous weather, reminds me of california although they have random sun showers. The winters aren't too bad either, no snow or anything in melb but its chilly depending on the person. I'm used to snow so its not too cold for me but a person from cali might think its cold. Melbourne's pace is in btw LA and NY, the city is quite busy, lots of diverse cultures. Australia's pharmacies are mainly independent still so if you own your pharmacy you should make good money. Otherwise with a BS or now its changing to a MS pharmacy - its still around 50-60k - nothing like the US. Then again, theres higher prospects of owning a pharmacy.

So far I heard Auckland is quite slow paced, quiet city, not too busy. My bf hates it - says its boring. I'm going in May so i'll find out more about NZ.