Jun 23, 2020
Hello everyone,

My fiancé and I are considering moving back to her home state of California. We are applying next year and both have:
cGpa: 3.4
sGpa: 3.6-3.7
Postbacc GPA:3.8-4.0
URM
Ivy League Masters (3.3-3.5)
2000+ Clinical
1000+ Research
1000+ Non clinical/Leadership (Teaching/Tutoring)
College Athlete and Coaching
My fiancé has good ECs on her end
No MCAT yet ( if score between 505-515 for both of us...obviously we still need to study and we’ll see)

Assuming these stats, would it be advisable to move from Georgia to California if that’s where we ultimately want to be, despite Cali schools being hard to get in? The gpas are pretty much set. What MCAT score do we both need to get to feel comfortable making the move. We would still be able to apply to the HBCUs, but are we sabotaging ourselves if we move from a state with easier to get in (albeit less) medical schools to California?

Last edited:

rdyotz

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Arizona
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
First, if you would to retain your anonymity, I would change your profile pic.
California is ultra competitive, with most (I believe) California residents being forced out of Cali to attend med school. Trying to get in to a school in the same geographic region as your fiance is also hard, as schools have to love both of you. Your cGPA is low to be highly competitive (not sure if undergrad was Ivy league as well). ECs look great though and URM status is helpful. It's pretty much impossible to gauge competitiveness without an MCAT (or without seeing essays, interview skills, etc). Georgia would likely offer a much better chance of you getting into the same school. If you are going to move, I'd say it would be more beneficial to move to an area with a large number of med schools in a short drive (NYC, LA, Chicago, etc) so you don't have to do a long distance relationship.

What's more important? Getting into medical school or getting into medical school in California. Every (assumption) medical school has students match to California residencies, so there is also time to get back to Cali.

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads

gonnif

Only 7 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Hello everyone,

My fiancé and I are considering moving back to her home state of California. We are applying next year and both have:
cGpa: 3.4
sGpa: 3.6-3.7
URM
Ivy League Masters (3.3-3.5)
2000+ Clinical
1000+ Research
1000+ Non clinical/Leadership (Teaching/Tutoring)
College Athlete and Coaching
My fiancé has good ECs on her end
No MCAT yet ( if score between 505-515 for both of us...obviously we still need to study and we’ll see)

Assuming these stats, would it be advisable to move from Georgia to California if that’s where we ultimately want to be, despite Cali schools being hard to get in? The gpas are pretty much set. What MCAT score do we both need to get to feel comfortable making the move. We would still be able to apply to the HBCUs, but are we sabotaging ourselves if we move from a state with easier to get in (albeit less) medical schools to California?
You will be greatly reducing your chances of attending a state medical school if you move to California. So te question is, which is more important: getting into medical school and becoming a physician or living in California

athorcommens

2+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Yeah you'll need a good MCAT to equalize the gpa. And 505-515 is a huge window. That's like 60th-90th percentile. You'll need at least a 510 to have a decent shot anywhere I think.

Jun 23, 2020
It’s more important to get in, so we’ll probably stay in Georgia. My post bacc gpa is going to be 3.8-4.0. If I pull off a 510, do I have a decent shot at schools like UCLA, Duke, UNC, Emory, Einstein? And if it’s lower, Say 500-509, with the rest of the package being good and URM would give me a decent shot in state and with HBCU’s?

Nov 10, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
It’s more important to get in, so we’ll probably stay in Georgia. My post bacc gpa is going to be 3.8-4.0. If I pull off a 510, do I have a decent shot at schools like UCLA, Duke, UNC, Emory, Einstein? And if it’s lower, Say 500-509, with the rest of the package being good and URM would give me a decent shot in state and with HBCU’s?
I'd say 514+ish and you won't have any problems with those higher tier schools given your excellent ECs. With a 510 you will 100% get in somewhere nonetheless so just do your best!

Reactions: pick6mike

GreenDuck12

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status
Medical Student
If I were in your shoes, I would stay on the east coast since there is a greater concentration of schools there compared to CA. It’s not a guarantee that you both would matriculate to the same school in CA and travel times between schools can be extreme let alone if one of you is admitted to a school on the east coast. Georgia isn’t the most favorable state but it’s nowhere near as bad as CA. I would apply broadly in GA, SC, NC, VA, PA, NJ, and NY.

sophop

2+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2017
The Holy Inland Empire
Status
Medical Student
Native Californian here. Overall: 8 A's (inc. several T10s). In CA: applied to 8, rejected by 7 - Without. Even. An. Interview. (Of course, YMMV).

fathergoat

5+ Year Member
May 15, 2014
Status
I mean you're a URM and a college athlete so unless you bomb the MCAT, you have a good chance of getting in. If you really care about going to a Cali school, your chances are improved significantly by going. So, the real question is, how bad do you wanna go to a Cali school? I feel like unless you bomb the MCAT, you will get in somewhere.

Jun 23, 2020
@Faha I’m African (born and raised here) and I’m a little more than conversational in Spanish. My fiancé is Black Hispanic (black from South America), she speaks Spanish fluently, Chinese, and Portuguese.

Last edited:
Reactions: OchemOficionado

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
@Faha I’m African (born and raised here) and I’m a little more than conversational in Spanish. My fiancé is Black Hispanic (black from South America), she speaks Spanish fluently.
Your chances are better in Georgia. You have Morehouse, Mercer and Medical College Georgia. If you both score 505 or higher you would be competitive for all 3 of those schools. You could receive interviews at Emory with a 510.

athorcommens

2+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Your chances are better in Georgia. You have Morehouse, Mercer and Medical College Georgia. If you both score 505 or higher you would be competitive for all 3 of those schools. You could receive interviews at Emory with a 510.
Agreed. Much better to shoot for residency or career in Cali if you really want to live there.

Jun 23, 2020
Thank you. I’m confident in my test taking ability. What do I need to hit to be competitive for Duke, UNC, UCLA, USC, UCSF, Columbia?

fathergoat

5+ Year Member
May 15, 2014
Status
Thank you. I’m confident in my test taking ability. What do I need to hit to be competitive for Duke, UNC, UCLA, USC, UCSF, Columbia?
I would look at MSAR for every school! If your MCAT is at least in the 1-25th percentile for each school, you should apply! Your GPA should be good for all schools listed.

Reactions: pick6mike
About the Ads