Moving to the US to become a pharmacist as a Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jz23

Reaction score
I have a friend that is a new pharmacy graduate in BC, Canada. They wants to become a pharmacist in the US, but there seem to be a lot of hurdles in the process. Does anyone know the realistic chance of being able to move to the US, what that process looks like and how long that process would take? Also, I heard that many of the large companies are not offering TN visa sponsorship anymore due to job saturation. Is that true? I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend that is a new pharmacy graduate in BC, Canada. They wants to become a pharmacist in the US, but there seem to be a lot of hurdles in the process. Does anyone know the realistic chance of being able to move to the US, what that process looks like and how long that process would take? Also, I heard that many of the large companies are not offering TN visa sponsorship anymore due to job saturation. Is that true? I'd appreciate any help, thanks.
unless your friend is a US citizen or PR holder, don't bother~
FPGEE then up to 1500 internship hours, he/she won't get visa to even clear those hurdles, let alone getting a job to qualify for TN visa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any residency? I can give you an email to my friend who got sponsored at Adventist health.

expect pay reduced by half and same COL, so why would u wanna do that?

I assume because they have no job, and a job at half-pay is better than no job.

OP, this is what you friend needs FPGEC | National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
Your friend should look at the area they want to apply, they may find that the jobs are so few, it would not be worth the cost and work involved to get licensed in the US. Of course, getting licensed is only part of the hurdle. Your friend would still have to get either a work visa or residency....both of which are not easy to get, and could take years. Now if your friend is moving here because their spouse is a US citizen or something like that, then that will definitely help with the process of getting a work visa (although not with the process of actually getting a job.)

Editing because the direct link I put in appears to not be working.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your friend can search the forums for some postings I made on the topic (licensed the other way from MN to MB during the NAFTA years). The advice fails though for the two French speaking schools (Laval and Montreal), but for the English speaking schools, it is still doable. And if your friend cares enough, they should come on and do the research themselves as well, though you're a good person for breaking the ice.