Moving way too early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Oc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched through the AOA match as a graduate. Since I am not on rotations, and my husband's job is from home, we can move whenever we want. We took advantage of the buyer's market, and bought a house this weekend in the city where I will start residency. We are moving next month.

This works best for us because we rent, so we don't have to wait for our house to sell. We are not on a lease - and can move with 30 days notice. Our rental house has constant problems and costs a fortune to heat, plus is not in the safest area.

It will benefit my family to move as soon as possible, so we did. I do not expect any extra hospitality, I'm not going to try to force socialization on anyone before they are expecting to have to do so. We just want time to settle in and do any home improvements needed before I start internship year. We are lucky enough to have the time to do so.

My new program seemed a little weirded out that we were moving so early, almost like it was a negative thing. I'm a little confused. Can anyone think of reasons why moving early would be a bad thing?

Members don't see this ad.

My new program seemed a little weirded out that we were moving so early, almost like it was a negative thing. I'm a little confused. Can anyone think of reasons why moving early would be a bad thing?

Its just unusual because most people have additional coursework, concern over spouses, etc. The only reason I can think that it would be a bad idea is if the program decided to rescind your match offer - because of fraud, failure to maintain grades this semester, etc. Pretty unusual, but it does happen.

They probably weren't "weirded out" but just thought it was unusual. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

And I wouldn't be too involved with residency matters until you start your residency. Being a gunner before your "turn" might reflect poorly on your soon-to-be senior residents.

perhaps you could explain why your new program even knows you're moving to their area? that is, why did you tell them? perhaps they were weirded out not by your moving, but more because you alerted them to the fact that it was happening.

I matched through the AOA match as a graduate. Since I am not on rotations, and my husband's job is from home, we can move whenever we want. We took advantage of the buyer's market, and bought a house this weekend in the city where I will start residency. We are moving next month.

This works best for us because we rent, so we don't have to wait for our house to sell. We are not on a lease - and can move with 30 days notice. Our rental house has constant problems and costs a fortune to heat, plus is not in the safest area.

It will benefit my family to move as soon as possible, so we did. I do not expect any extra hospitality, I'm not going to try to force socialization on anyone before they are expecting to have to do so. We just want time to settle in and do any home improvements needed before I start internship year. We are lucky enough to have the time to do so.

You can move there. Get to know the area. Join a gym/club/whatever. Just don't expect to go to journal club, or social events. Maybe if you did 3 months of aways at that program and know all of the people you can go to a couple, but don't invite yourself. Also, don't ask when they are. And leave the coordinator alone.

How are you paying your mortgage for the first 5 months?

Seriously that IS wierd that you told your residency that you are moving. For one, do you think they actually care? Honestly not to be rude but that is just bizzare. The last thing on my mind, especially if I had a family/SO would be making sure to inform my residency 6 months early.

Reminds me of the typical toolish gunner in medschool that spent every waking minute doing something medical related. :laugh: Maybe you can invite yourself over to your new PD's house for dinner, or invite the whole staff to your house for a "welcome me to the program" dinner:laugh:

Seriously that IS wierd that you told your residency that you are moving. For one, do you think they actually care? Honestly not to be rude but that is just bizzare. The last thing on my mind, especially if I had a family/SO would be making sure to inform my residency 6 months early.

Reminds me of the typical toolish gunner in medschool that spent every waking minute doing something medical related. :laugh: Maybe you can invite yourself over to your new PD's house for dinner, or invite the whole staff to your house for a "welcome me to the program" dinner:laugh:

The bank needed them to send a letter stating that I will be resident there to approve including my future income in the mortgage. That's the only reason.

No plans for parties, no calls to residents, etc. I can wait my "turn". What I won't do is continue to live in my crappy rental just because people might think I'm "weird" or a "toolish gunner".

Other than that, I'll just hang out with my kid and do what I'd be doing normally if I still lived here.

I can understand the concerns though, about expected invitations, trying to horn my way in to social events, and showing up to journal clubs, etc. That would be weird, and I can see how the thought of that happening could cause a seemingly odd response.

But I had to tell them so that I could get that letter. They emailed me when I matched, and stated that if I needed proof of residency when looking for housing or other things to let them know, so at least my reason for contact was brought up before I actually contacted them. I'm sure they just didn't expect it to happen the next day :)

Thanks for the responses!

You can move there. Get to know the area. Join a gym/club/whatever. Just don't expect to go to journal club, or social events. Maybe if you did 3 months of aways at that program and know all of the people you can go to a couple, but don't invite yourself. Also, don't ask when they are. And leave the coordinator alone.

How are you paying your mortgage for the first 5 months?

Good point, and I won't be doing any of that.

My husband works from home, and his job will move with us, so that's how we'll pay our mortgage. It is actually cheaper than our current rent.

what's the problem with a new pre-intern going to program functions? seriously. isn't this a girl the program "wanted". didn't they decide when they ranked her that they wanted her to be around for 3 or so years? so why would they mind if she went to a few morning reports or noon conferences, etc. why wouldn't they want to get a smarter intern when July 1st comes around...someone that would know their system a little better. wouldn't that mean possibly less calls from her to the seniors on call nights. now i can see the other incoming interns not liking that, but why would the current residents and faculty have a problem with that?

Was it necessary to jump down th OP's throat? They asked a question and ended up being insulted and ridiculed. :mad:

OP: I think you made a great decision to move early. You have given yourself and your family time to adjust to a new town and new people. You will feel refreshed on your first day of Internship while the rest of your colleagues will be haggard form recently moving accross country and having to unpack and find the grocery store. I wish I could do what you have done! Good luck!

Not that its an excuse, but tempers tend to run high this time of the year what with rank lists being due, the allo match in 1 month, etc.

But it was uncalled for to make the OP feel like a freak.

thanks for that explanation - things make sense now. i hope you (nor anyone else) weren't offended by my reply. if the program seemed weirded out, that's their problem. you made the best decision for you and your family - one that has absolutely nothing with your ability to practice medicine. frankly the fact that they had a reaction seems somewhat weird to me.

The bank needed them to send a letter stating that I will be resident there to approve including my future income in the mortgage. That's the only reason.

I had no intention of being rude or offending the OP - sorry if I did. I am only suggesting that the farther you advance in medicine, in any field, the more conservative and territorial your colleagues can tend to be. Anybody that makes waves or appears to be outside the norn on a first impression can be looked at from an askew angle. Just a friendly suggestion - that's all.

Congrats on the house. I closed in April of my 4th year of medical school. I had to wait until after graduation to move, though :(

what's the problem with a new pre-intern going to program functions? seriously. isn't this a girl the program "wanted". didn't they decide when they ranked her that they wanted her to be around for 3 or so years? so why would they mind if she went to a few morning reports or noon conferences, etc. why wouldn't they want to get a smarter intern when July 1st comes around...someone that would know their system a little better. wouldn't that mean possibly less calls from her to the seniors on call nights. now i can see the other incoming interns not liking that, but why would the current residents and faculty have a problem with that?

It is not that the program would be the problem or the program think it is wierd-I think it is just wierd and so do most that someone wants to begin "being an intern" and going to all that crap 5 months before you have to-especially if you have a kid and husband. I cannot think of anything less I would want then to attend extra morning reports and journal clubs-you would have to be really hurting for a life if that was the case.

It is not that the program would be the problem or the program think it is wierd-I think it is just wierd and so do most that someone wants to begin "being an intern" and going to all that crap 5 months before you have to-especially if you have a kid and husband. I cannot think of anything less I would want then to attend extra morning reports and journal clubs-you would have to be really hurting for a life if that was the case.

When did the OP ever say that they wanted to stalk the residents and attend all the morning reports and journal clubs. All of that was made up or assumed by those replying. :rolleyes:

Seriously, once you match, you're "part of the program". Since I matched 8 days ago, I've already been invited to everything from meetings to drug-rep dinners to intramural sports that the residents take part in. Should I not go because an upper year would think that i'm a "toolish gunner"? I would think that the current residents would be interested in an incoming intern that would like to be an active part of the program. I didn't know that it was a rule to come in on day 1 of internship not knowing anyone or the hospital. I think it's good for you to move to that area and get comfortable with your surroundings and your future colleagues. Good luck.