Moving.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
f_w said:
Moving date: 4/20/2006

Your move from WASHINGTON, DC to LOS ANGELES, CA
Preferred location:
U STREET RENTALS
919 U STREET NW WASHINGTON, DC

Quantity Due today Due at pickup
10' Truck(includes 9 days of use and 2976 miles free; additional miles $.40): 1
Furniture Pads 1 dozen $10.00
Utility Dolly 1 $10.00
Total (all rates are in US dollars. Rental equipment rates do not include tax): $0.00

Grand total (Tax not included) $1,386.00

It was Washington state, but its likely similar. Oh, and i found out why we got it so cheap, i had forgot that my wifes uncle ran the Uhaul shop and we got the family deal. My bad.

Members don't see this ad.

ORBITAL BEBOP said:
Hello,
I checked out this site but I couldnt list everything I had b/c my husband and I have so much stuff. Maybe this site isnt so great for ppl with lots of stuff?

I would say just list it in terms of the apartment/house size...so, instead of an itemized list, just say fully furnished 3bed/2bath home, and give details when you get the bids.

I've moved way too many times in my life and have used UHaul, Budget & Penske. Penske is the best by far. Their prices are the usually the lowest and their trucks are in great shape.

www.epinions.com is a great site to read horror stories about the different companies.

TysonCook said:
I used ABF UPack, it is basically like renting out the extra space on semi's that are driving from destination to destination. You pack your own stuff into thier trailers at the shipping yard, then drive your own car across country. When you arrive at your destination you go to the shipping yard in the new part of the country, and unpack your stuff there.

Works great for those of us that want to save $, and don't care about physical labor. Or you can pay a little more and have UPack bring the trailer to your house, and hire on some local frat boys for $20/hr to pack it for you.

The one caveat, cover your items with a tarp on top, and boxes on the bottom, as road dust etc tends to creep up inside.

I paid $380 to go from Utah to Cincinnati (2000 miles).
www.upack.com

What exactly did you move?! I am coming up with $1095

Uship.com: do they load/unload for you, or are the strictly drivers?

...Never mind. Once I got further in the site, I see you can request loading/unloading.

I'm going to try it!!

With everyone moving and graduating around this time period I figured I'd try to punch this beach ball back up in the crowd.

Just reserved a Penske 16ft truck for 406 bucks w/ tax included. Basically a steal. :D

The move will be from Kansas City to Chicago.

Not using a moving company (just using my friends) as my stuff is in storage so things should be easy to move.

I'm doing Uship.com, moving about 80 boxes of stuff, a piano and some furniture from KC to Western Colorado...$1495. The guy has a lot of positive feedback on the site and seems great. I'll let you know if it turns out anything other than good!

tridoc13 said:
I'm doing Uship.com, moving about 80 boxes of stuff, a piano and some furniture from KC to Western Colorado...$1495. The guy has a lot of positive feedback on the site and seems great. I'll let you know if it turns out anything other than good!
OK, I just wanted to let you all know what a great experience I had with uShip. Long story short, my guy's truck broke down out east but instead of leaving my high and dry, he flew to KC, rented a U-Haul, picked up my entire household (ended up being 100 boxes, piano, etc.) delivered everything safely to my new place in CO, then flew out of Denver. He probably lost a good deal of money on my move, but he had a smile on his face the whole time and refused to take any extra money to help him out with the expenses. If anyone is still looking for a mover and would want his contact info, just let me know. I'd recommend him to anyone!

If you only a limited amount of things to take with you, renting a cargo van from a car rental company is often more economical than u-haul and the like because you can get unlimited mileage on the cargo vans from car rental places. Places like uhaul usually charge a daily rate which is less than the cargo van daily rate, but then you get slapped with a per mile charge that adds up fast.

Tinsley said:
One good thing about moving: It's tax deductible. Keep those receipts!

Except food... they figure you have to eat anyway, so it's not deductable.

And... MOVING SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I will be hiring some one to pack and unpack me for my next move. I'm not gonna lift a finger other than to click the mouse button to schedule my move (in 3 years).

I'm getting a 26 foot Super Mover Uhaul truck and a tow dolly for my car for around $600 bucks which includes 820 miles. I know that people have been burned by Uhaul in the past but I've had pretty good luck with them so far. I'm pretty flexible with my departure date for a change so if they don't have the truck I can wait for a few days.

Budget was almost twice as much and their decks are about four feet higher than Uhaul's. Believe me, I'm self-moving a four bedroom house and it makes a difference.

I also wanted to write something postive about Uship. I was worried at first but the guy I choose had a lot of great feedback. I don't think I could have gotten a better deal, even with U-haul or Penske. I moved my entire one bedroom apartment from Pittsburgh to Chicago (loading and unloading). There was excellent communication and on time delivery. I paid $650. I would do it again in a heartbeat.