MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got into Hopkins' MSPH for International Health Global Disease and Epidemiology Control! :)
NICE! What is looking like your top choice at the moment?

Members don't see this ad.

Also received my travel grant for Visit Emory! Whoo! Hope to see some of you there! Anyone else also flying from SoCal?

Did you receive an email?

I just booked my flights and I'm flying in form NorCal! :D Hope to see you there!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My link didn’t have anything :( although I have a feeling it will be pretty similar when something does show up. Would you mind sharing how much they estimate COA to be? I like to see what schools project to get a semi-estimate.

Sure! I just got the official award notice this morning. I'm in-state also so the COA they gave me is $52,442. It looks like they still don't have an updated COA on the website though, so I'm not sure what it'll be for out-of-state if you aren't from Michigan.

Reactions: 1 user
Did those that got into Harvard get an email prior to checking their portal?

Is anyone else struggling with the extreme letdown that your top choice you were accepted into will not be offering you a merit scholarship? For me, it leaves me with my in-state school as my viable option (which isn't bad, but definitely a second-tier to my top choice) since I don't think I can let myself sign onto 65-70K in loans, assuming I get a little bit of need-based aid. While I'm very grateful to have even been accepted at all, it is SUCH a bummer. Ok, mini venting complete.

I'm in the same position! Definitely was hoping for some scholarships or additional need-based aid that I qualify for, but so far none of my top choices have given me anything worth considering unless I want to be $100k in debt by the time I graduate. I do have an amazing scholarship for a school that was one of my last options and I'm extremely grateful for that, but it does suck to know that I got accepted into my other top choices and that I won't be able to attend.

I got into Harvard MPH-65 Global Health!!!! I can't even breathe!

Reactions: 8 users
Sure! I just got the official award notice this morning. I'm in-state also so the COA they gave me is $52,442. It looks like they still don't have an updated COA on the website though, so I'm not sure what it'll be for out-of-state if you aren't from Michigan.

That's definitely not bad for in state!! Unfortunately I'm out of state :( and based on the difference in tuition I'd guess the OOS COA would be ~71,206. I'm still waiting for the award notice so I guess I'll wait and see!

Thanks for sharing IS COA though!!

Also received my travel grant for Visit Emory! Whoo! Hope to see some of you there! Anyone else also flying from SoCal?

Ahhhhh I now just have an email tab open and anytime I get an email I rush to go and check if its for Visit Emory travel grant. Crossing my fingers that I get one again!

Reactions: 3 users
The battle of affordability vs prestige is coming! Fasten your seat belt! Mine is ”Harvard,JHU” Vs ”UMN”.
Comment the main competitors of your mind battle :)

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone hear back about Harvard Health and Social Behavior-65? Nothing on my portal but I'm expecting a rejection anyway!
Heard back this morning! Hope you'll hear positive news soon. I think someone here mentioned they'll be releasing acceptances in multiple rounds?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received a travel grant & am flying from SoCal!! Out of Ontario airport to be exact!

NICE! What is looking like your top choice at the moment?
It's tough right now deciding (especially since only a couple of my financial aid packages have come in), but I would have to say the JHU MPH program is most likely my top choice simply because it's one year as oppose to two years. What about yourself?

Did you receive an email?

I just booked my flights and I'm flying in form NorCal! :D Hope to see you there!

Received mine as well, plan on booking my ticket as soon as I hear back from UNC about visiting the day before. Also flying out of NorCal (and the tickets are ungodly expensive)

I got into Harvard MPH-65 Global Health!!!! I can't even breathe!

Congrats to those hearing back from Harvard. I'm a current first year in the MPH65 Global Health program. Feel free to DM me with any questions.

Congrats to those hearing back from Harvard. I'm a current first year in the MPH65 Global Health program. Feel free to DM me with any questions.
I'll never forgive you for showing me this forum Ben!

who else is waiting back for harvard 65 global health :luck:

Ahhhhh I now just have an email tab open and anytime I get an email I rush to go and check if its for Visit Emory travel grant. Crossing my fingers that I get one again!

Received mine as well, plan on booking my ticket as soon as I hear back from UNC about visiting the day before. Also flying out of NorCal (and the tickets are ungodly expensive)

Would you all like to be in a group message? We can coordinate to meet up or hang out sometime during Visit Emory if you all want! I've decided to actually attend both days, instead of just Friday. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone who applied to the Harvard SM 42.5 in Epidemiology? I got an email but couldn't check the decision cus I forgot my Harvard key lol

It's tough right now deciding (especially since only a couple of my financial aid packages have come in), but I would have to say the JHU MPH program is most likely my top choice simply because it's one year as oppose to two years. What about yourself?
Fair assessment. Currently, I'm in the affordability vs prestige tug of war between the Emory MPH and JHU MSPH since they both offer what I want to study. Probably will figure it out after visiting both schools. Good luck!

I got one too yesterday, but unfortunately I can't make it to Emory Visit day due to work.. and the grant Emory offered is not that much either and I have to fly out from SoCal and the plane tickets are very expensive OMG. But I wish you guys have fun at the Visit Day!

Feeling a little down cause I got rejected from nearly all schools I applied to except one and waiting on like three more... My stats were not even that bad.. just my luck I guess.

Congrats to everyone who got acceptances to your desired schools though!!

Reactions: 10 users
Feeling a little down cause I got rejected from nearly all schools I applied to except one and waiting on like three more... My stats were not even that bad.. just my luck I guess.

Hey, I wouldn't feel down! Getting into one school is an accomplishment! And who knows, all three of those other schools your still waiting on could all turn out to be acceptances! :)

I think one of the biggest takeaways from public health; should be that it's not all stats based - your SOP and experiences matter a lot. I don't recall seeing your WAMC post, but if your concerned perhaps you could apply to some schools still accepting applications if you're really not sure you want to attend the one school you've been accepted to. The only thing is funding may be limited. Regardless, you should be proud of yourself!!

Reactions: 16 users
Was accepted into UCLA (for HPM) and UC Davis. Still waiting on a response from UC Berkeley (for HPM). I just got an email today from UCLA informing me the admissions committee thought I was a better fit for their Executive MPH program. Did anyone else get this email? I am wondering if it's worth it as the tuition is a lot more expensive than their regular MPH program (+8k more annually). But, it would allow for me to work full-time as classes are held twice a month on Fridays and Saturdays.

I am sorry to hear. I got rejected from my safety school and now I am worried about my top choices.... You are not alone!

Reactions: 6 users

I just want to say that it’s a huge accomplishment just committing to and carrying out this stressful application process. Congrats on your admission, it’s no small feat! Wishing you the best of luck going forward.

Reactions: 11 users

I feel like this forum can be a bit overwhelming, it has a boat load of amazing applicants who are getting into top schools, but it's really not representative of the application process as a whole. I've felt really weird about my 5 rejections, since I don't think I've seen that many for anyone else, but it's totally normal to get rejections, and while they may sting, you really should be proud of getting into a school, many don't.

That being said, if you don't think the schools you get into this cycle are right for you, you can always think about applying again next cycle. I applied to two schools last year, in at one, rejected from the other, and I just wasn't ready to commit to the one I got into. I took another year, re took the GRE, did more volunteer work, spent months working on my essay and then applied to way more schools. SOPHAS actually makes it really easy to reapply, you just need to get letters of rec again, everything else transfers over. That may not be the way you want to go, but you always have it as an option.

Reactions: 19 users
Would you all like to be in a group message? We can coordinate to meet up or hang out sometime during Visit Emory if you all want! I've decided to actually attend both days, instead of just Friday. :)
I am flying out of John Wayne in SoCal on Wednesday to attend both days, would love to meet up with you all at Visit Emory!

Reactions: 5 users
I love the positivity and support radiating from this forum. So glad for the possibility of working with you guys in the future! And for those who are still anxiously waiting decisions, everything will work out in the end :clap: you are all participating in this forum, and I think that says a lot about your character and your potential in public health.

Reactions: 9 users
On a random note, is anyone arriving to WashU's visit really early tomorrow? I'm flying in at 10 AM and I want to visit the City Museum. Looking for some company!

Also received the Emory travel stipend, although half at $175 :/ I'm also flying out of Norcal. SFO or Oak whichever is cheaper. Down to meet up!

Reactions: 5 users
On a random note, is anyone arriving to WashU's visit really early tomorrow? I'm flying in at 10 AM and I want to visit the City Museum. Looking for some company!

I'm getting in around 1 I think. Down to explore the city w/ you. DM me to get my contact info if you'd like.

I love the positivity and support radiating from this forum. So glad for the possibility of working with you guys in the future! And for those who are still anxiously waiting decisions, everything will work out in the end :clap: you are all participating in this forum, and I think that says a lot about your character and your potential in public health.

True! I'm so bummed I can't go to all the Visit Days and meet everyone!

I think it takes a special kind of courage to share your rejections and I really appreciate your spirit and goodwill for others. :)
I hope and pray you hear next three acceptances soon enough! Watching the stars on this thread makes me feel very overwhelmed myself but hang in there. The posts here don’t reflect the entire cohort of applicants that apply anyway.
May good things come your way soon. Amen.

Reactions: 20 users
Weirdly, when I checked my admin portal just now I have a bunch of different folders than the ones in your screenshot. Does anyone else have folders called "Maintain Relationship Data", "Academic Planning", "Enrollment", "Campus Finances", etc?

Lol I need a hobby......

Did you end up hearing back!?