MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an email reply from Berkeley, "Thank you for your email. The Admission Committee has reviewed all applications holistically and made the admission decision. All applicants should be receiving the admission decision from the School shortly.
Thank you so much for your application and interest in the program."

This sounds like a rejection to me...but heads up to anyone who is waiting for Berkeley!

For what it's worth, I haven't heard of anyone hearing back from Epi or Epi/Biostats, so I imagine there will definitely still be acceptances going out. At least I hope so (and I hope we hear today)!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Got an email reply from Berkeley, "Thank you for your email. The Admission Committee has reviewed all applications holistically and made the admission decision. All applicants should be receiving the admission decision from the School shortly.
Thank you so much for your application and interest in the program."

This sounds like a rejection to me...but heads up to anyone who is waiting for Berkeley!

Dying to hear back from Berkeley but so nervous! Do they let you reapply or be considered for second choice options? I see in some peoples signatures they have heard back random dates for the past few weeks. I hope they don't send out a massive rejection message to the rest. ;/

Reactions: 2 users
Heard this song on my run today and thought of us. ;)
Maybe we should make a collective playlist--for us and future applicants playing the waiting game...? :headphone:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have experience with getting schools to match awards? i just got a random 50% scholarship from columbia but harvard is definitely my first choice (though they haven't even sent aid yet)
Got the same. Congrats! Yes it’s renewable both years, adjusts with the change in tuition the second year. I was not expecting it at all because a lot of people already heard back scholarships and my initial award was only loans. I can’t stop dancing!!!! Also I’m thinking Columbia over Harvard so if you end up at the latter feel free to pass that other 50% on to me! (Jk!) (but seriously...)

Reactions: 5 users
Wow.. thank you all for your positive words of encouragement. Seriously, I feel like crying right now seeing such genuine people (of course tears of joy). I had been really rough on myself the past month or so because of my rejections. But like many of you said, my rejections do not define me and that goes for anyone else that's gotten rejection. So, that being said, thank you again to all those who wished me such kind and positive thoughts and words of encouragement when I was feeling down! I am happy to know there are still good people in this world. You all are amazing and are destined for greatness! Hope some of our path's cross in the near future! Until then, good luck to everyone who are still waiting for decisions to be made! You all very much deserve it! <3

Reactions: 17 users
Congrats to everyone on hearing back from schools so far, and good luck to everyone still waiting! I've learned so much from you guys on this thread and it's been a source of hope/excitement in this crazy stressful process. It's soo amazing to see that my future colleagues in the public health field are hands down the kindest, most supportive and empowering people I could only have hoped for!!

Just a suggestion for visit days-- since it seems like a lot of us cant make it to some visits, maybe we could start some sort of shared doc or thread where people who went to visits can share their thoughts about each school/answer questions for people who couldn't go? That way we can all help each other out with deciding on the right program and gain different perspectives about the schools!
Aye, that's a brilliant idea!!! :claps:

Does anyone know when Yale will release decisions?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone on hearing back from schools so far, and good luck to everyone still waiting! I've learned so much from you guys on this thread and it's been a source of hope/excitement in this crazy stressful process. It's soo amazing to see that my future colleagues in the public health field are hands down the kindest, most supportive and empowering people I could only have hoped for!!

Just a suggestion for visit days-- since it seems like a lot of us cant make it to some visits, maybe we could start some sort of shared doc or thread where people who went to visits can share their thoughts about each school/answer questions for people who couldn't go? That way we can all help each other out with deciding on the right program and gain different perspectives about the schools!

Thank you for those kind words, and that sounds like a great idea!

Incidentally, I called Emory today, and they confirmed that all of the merit scholarships have been sent out, so we can't expect any more to be available until people start committing to other schools (presumably some will decide to go elsewhere, even with scholarships).

Thank you for those kind words, and that sounds like a great idea!

Incidentally, I called Emory today, and they confirmed that all of the merit scholarships have been sent out, so we can't expect any more to be available until people start committing to other schools (presumably some will decide to go elsewhere, even with scholarships).

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: 1 users
This has been an eventful week. Congrats to everyone who got good news, and to those people feeling nervous or disappointed just know that I am rooting for you and fully believe everything will work out for the best!

Since it’s the weekend and we’re not likely to get any school updates, I’m wondering if anyone would like to share the work they’re doing in public health now? Whether it’s a job, research position, internship, volunteering, or something else I always find it so interesting to hear what’s going on in the PH world! And it may be a nice break from stressing about deadlines :)

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone still waiting on Columbia MPH, I received acceptance today (epidemiology) so seems they're still coming out.

My situation was a little weird: my application wasn't sent for review for a long time because my GREs weren't received until late January. Which is weird because I submitted my scores early November. Possibly a clerical error in CU admissions or SOPHAS? It's still a mystery.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts and/or opinions about Brown University's MPH program? It's one of my top 2 choices, and an Ivy League, and I got a scholarship, so any advice would be truly appreciated? Especially if you're thinking about going to the Admitted student's day on 3/29

I second this! Traveling to admitted students days is getting to be so expensive so I won't be able to visit Brown. I got 50% tuition reduction so it should be a top contender...I just don't know that much about the program

This has been an eventful week. Congrats to everyone who got good news, and to those people feeling nervous or disappointed just know that I am rooting for you and fully believe everything will work out for the best!

Since it’s the weekend and we’re not likely to get any school updates, I’m wondering if anyone would like to share the work they’re doing in public health now? Whether it’s a job, research position, internship, volunteering, or something else I always find it so interesting to hear what’s going on in the PH world! And it may be a nice break from stressing about deadlines :)

This sounds fun. I'll start. I graduated undergrad in 2017, and since then, I've been working as a lab tech in a cancer lab, where we isolate, freeze and distribute cells to labs that are doing work in specific types of cancer (I'm being somewhat vague for privacy reasons, but if anyone's interested, feel free to DM me questions).

Reactions: 4 users
Based on the email posted earlier today about Berkeley decisions coming out "shortly," along with the timing of previous acceptances in this thread, I'm definitely hoping to hear from them tonight at 5 (pacific)! But I have a bad feeling that it'll drag into next week...

Reactions: 3 users

Thanks so much for the info! I'm sad that I didn't get one, but at least I get some closure on that front. Guess Emory is out for me :(

Based on the email posted earlier today about Berkeley decisions coming out "shortly," along with the timing of previous acceptances in this thread, I'm definitely hoping to hear from them tonight at 5 (pacific)! But I have a bad feeling that it'll drag into next week...

Hey y’all, I hope Berkeley taking too long does not deter you from wanting to go there. I was an undergrad in their PH department, and honestly the staff was absolutely remarkable. I also took a lot of graduate school courses as well(many of the faculty overlap teaching undergrad and grad). The head of the masters in epi/bio stat was my intro to epi instructor and is actually one of my idols. Also, I know her undergrad class has a huge midterm this week and she is just in general a busy woman, so stay patient and have hope! I believe in you all :)

Hey y’all, I hope Berkeley taking too long does not deter you from wanting to go there. I was an undergrad in their PH department, and honestly the staff was absolutely remarkable. I also took a lot of graduate school courses as well(many of the faculty overlap teaching undergrad and grad). The head of the masters in epi/bio stat was my intro to epi instructor and is actually one of my idols. Also, I know her undergrad class has a huge midterm this week and she is just in general a busy woman, so stay patient and have hope! I believe in you all :)

I also forgot to add that if anyone has any general questions about Cal and life in the Bay Area, pm me!

My ears perk up when I see “Berkeley”

I don’t want to believe that we’ll hear something in 9 minutes but I know I’ll be refreshing anyway and prepared for utter disappointment lol.

This is really good to hear, this long wait has turned me off Cal a little, mostly because it’s given me time to become way more familiar with other programs and their research opportunities. But it’s refreshing to hear that Berkeley is still a good school, just a little busy :)

NOPE, nothing from Cal.

See you all back here for the click-tab-refresh game on Monday.

Reactions: 6 users
This sounds fun. I'll start. I graduated undergrad in 2017, and since then, I've been working as a lab tech in a cancer lab, where we isolate, freeze and distribute cells to labs that are doing work in specific types of cancer (I'm being somewhat vague for privacy reasons, but if anyone's interested, feel free to DM me questions).
That’s awesome (and important) work! My background is policy/advocacy so I’m always awed by people who “do science” (lol) and have that kind of experience. Are you looking to stay in the lab?

Oh don't worry, I'm tired of waiting for results, but that's my problem, not Berkeley's. I'm happy to hear good things about the Epi/Biostats faculty! If I get accepted and am strongly considering Cal, I might send a few questions your way :)

That’s awesome (and important) work! My background is policy/advocacy so I’m always awed by people who “do science” (lol) and have that kind of experience. Are you looking to stay in the lab?

Thank you! I'm glad that I have the experience that I have, but I'm looking to get involved in more big picture projects, maybe managing programs at the federal level (the connection to the CDC is the biggest reason why I'm so set on Emory). As important as lab work is, I want to go in a new direction, which is why I'm doing the MPH in the first place.

I second this! Traveling to admitted students days is getting to be so expensive so I won't be able to visit Brown. I got 50% tuition reduction so it should be a top contender...I just don't know that much about the program
Not sure you saw my other post-- I'm a current student, feel free to PM me with questions.

In general, Brown sets itself apart for its flexible curriculum and small size. The MPH is more customizable than at other institutions and can be designed to be practice-based even though research is Brown's focus. The program requires a research-based thesis and internship. In general, people who are self-motivated and have a strong sense of what they want to do during and after the program fair well. People pursue all sorts of interests, but global health, HIV/AIDS, maternal/child health, health economics, and nutrition/food security are common. Within academia, Brown has a great public health reputation, and I strongly suspect the school will grow in prestige/reputation/name beyond academia in the coming years.

Me! It ends at 5:30. Anyone want to meet up for a drink after that?
Ooh...post about it after! I am currently planning on attending the April one, but I'd rather know if there's some huge red flag earlier so I can make a decision and start planning my move and all that....

Idk if anyone else was waiting on UW HPM but I got a decision today

Anyone gonna go to UCLA's admit day?

I'll be going! Will you be there?

I really want to, but I don't think it'll be financially feasible for me~ $290-370 for the flight from where I am. I visited the campus (when it was mostly empty) during winter break when I was in Socal, so I know what it looks like... just don't have too much of a feel for the school atmosphere quite yet. It looks like I'll have to decide between UCLA and Berkeley without going to their admit days so I have 2 ways I'm thinking of approaching it:
  1. Connect with/talk to as many current students as I can about their experiences in the program, living there, etc.
  2. Try to come to visit on a later day in March when flights are cheaper and ask for a private meeting with admissions, faculty, student reps, etc - although idk how ideal this option would be due to time & $ for travel
  3. Or maybe the $300 is worth it?!?!
Any insights or other suggestions into deciding without visiting would be appreciated! :)

I'm most likely going to create a document of all the things I learn there and I wouldn't mind sending it over to you. I understand that not everyone is lucky enough to be going. I'm fortunately only a short drive away, so it's not a big deal for me. I'll update you as much as I can.

Alright Everyone! I'm definitely interested in getting this started so that people can get their research and information ASAP.

Would you all prefer a Google Shared Folder, Google Doc, Google Sheet, another thread??
How should we do this? Any suggestions?

The Canadian government seems to have some options. But I think they max out at a few thousand per year. I haven't had the time to apply to those but hopefully, I get to them soon. I wonder what the chances are of getting funding once we start attending the university.

Yeah Im thinking to just email the universities over the weekend and just ask realistically what kind of funding I can be eligible for. A few thousand would be still be better than nothing....but yeah Im in the same boat so feel you on this.

Anyone still waiting on Brown or Cornell?
Cornell. Since we didn't hear by Feb 18th, the next day to be alerted is supposedly March 18th, and then April 10th. I emailed about my app and was told that it was bumped a few rounds and keeps getting stacked up against new applicants in each monthly round.

Weirdly, when I checked my admin portal just now I have a bunch of different folders than the ones in your screenshot. Does anyone else have folders called "Maintain Relationship Data", "Academic Planning", "Enrollment", "Campus Finances", etc?

Lol I need a hobby......
I thought the site has always had all these features
Or are they recent additions?.....

Too much anxiety, we all should take some chill pills

I was accepted to Brown's ScM in Epi yesterday!!!!!! A professor had already reached out to me about research earlier in the week, so I was really impressed with that!

I did not receive my financial award/aid yet, but in my letter it said it was coming. For those of you who have gotten an award from Brown, was it in a separate email? Thx in advance!! :)

Alright Everyone! I'm definitely interested in getting this started so that people can get their research and information ASAP.

Would you all prefer a Google Shared Folder, Google Doc, Google Sheet, another thread??

Maybe a google shared folder with different docs or just one doc?

Maybe a google shared folder with different docs or just one doc?

I like the idea of a folder with different docs for diff schools...but honestly I'd be grateful for anything! Thanks so much!

I was accepted to Brown's ScM in Epi yesterday!!!!!! A professor had already reached out to me about research earlier in the week, so I was really impressed with that!

I did not receive my financial award/aid yet, but in my letter it said it was coming. For those of you who have gotten an award from Brown, was it in a separate email? Thx in advance!! :)

Yes it was sent in a separate email for me about a week later! Congrats!

Congratulations! I applied to the same program, but I didn't get any reply. Did you talk to a specific professor about your research interest? I think this program is very competitive given the size of cohort. I got in to Harvard SM, but would choose Brown over it.

Made it into JHU school-wide MPH.
Extremely grateful and excited. :D

Reactions: 17 users
I'm most likely going to create a document of all the things I learn there and I wouldn't mind sending it over to you. I understand that not everyone is lucky enough to be going. I'm fortunately only a short drive away, so it's not a big deal for me. I'll update you as much as I can.
That'd be great! It'd be nice to have a Google folder with a Google doc for each school, that way people can add their opinion for each school if they are able to visit multiple~ Berkeley said they'll be recording their sessions for their Spring Visit Day, so I can see if I can add the links to the videos when they post them too :)

Me! It ends at 5:30. Anyone want to meet up for a drink after that?

I have a train to catch at 8 pm, so that might be a little risky :(

I'm planning on flying in Thursday afternoon to explore a little before hand. Anyone else coming in early/down to meet up Thursday night?

I think this is an AWESOME IDEA! I think a shared folder, with a different document for each school would be easiest to navigate. I'm planning on visiting a few different schools and can definitely type up my notes for those unable to make it.

If anyone has any insight into the MPH at Columbia vs. SM-80 at Harvard, specifically for Infectious Disease Epi (even more specifically in emerging and resistant infections), please message me! Still waiting to hear back from Yale and Hopkins, but I'm already stressed about making a decision..

Congratulations! I applied to the same program, but I didn't get any reply. Did you talk to a specific professor about your research interest? I think this program is very competitive given the size of cohort. I got in to Harvard SM, but would choose Brown over it.
Well, firstly, CONGRATS on Harvard!!! When did you hear back from Harvard? Hopefully you hear back from Brown soon! Would you maybe want to dm to talk more about the MS programs? I'd love to hear your thoughts on Brown, because it's definitely becoming more and more attractive to me, given its generosity in funds, super small size, and huge emphasis on research.

I actually mentioned the professor's research in my PS as an interest, so it was her who reached out and said they were interested in me but was waiting final approval from the Graduate School... that was Tuesday and I got the letter yesterday!

If anyone has any insight into the MPH at Columbia vs. SM-80 at Harvard, specifically for Infectious Disease Epi (even more specifically in emerging and resistant infections), please message me! Still waiting to hear back from Yale and Hopkins, but I'm already stressed about making a decision..

The SM 80 is going to be far more research focused while the MPH will be more broad.
Also when did you hear back!? I’m anxiously waitin :(