MPH 2019: Applied, Waitlisted, Accepted!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone gonna go to UCLA's admit day?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I put my rejections straight into my signature to force myself to own them. They don't speak to any inability or lack of potential on our end, your application just isn't what that particular school is looking for this year! Every school has about a million little requirements and internal goals we don't know about and there's nothing wrong with you for not checking all of their boxes. I'd challenge everyone who is feeling ashamed or bad about their rejections to share them here. I've been passed on by BU, UW and in the next few weeks, definitely a few more schools! Celebrate your acceptances and your rejections, they both help you end up where you're supposed to be.....if you believe in that sort of thing.

Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fair assessment. Currently, I'm in the affordability vs prestige tug of war between the Emory MPH and JHU MSPH since they both offer what I want to study. Probably will figure it out after visiting both schools. Good luck!
Best of luck to you too :) Who knows, maybe we will be classmates :)

Shocked to have just gotten accepted to UMich for HBHE. I applied in mid-November and hadn't heard back so I just assumed I'd be getting a rejection email soon. My application was probably put in the "maybe" pile a few times and then re-evaluated when they still had some spots left? Just a guess. So for those who haven't heard back from schools you applied to a while ago - don't lose hope!

Now to figure out the COA for UMich...

Reactions: 5 users
Well that eases my mind a bit. Maybe sm 80 epi isn't out yet :)
I believe SM80-Epi acceptances already went out given by the reports I saw on Grad Cafe. But there's always the possibility more are coming out. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone planning on attending Columbia's admitted students day on March 29th??

Does anyone know what sort of financial aid Harvard gives out? (i.e. the most I can expect)

I just heard back from Michigan (finally) and I'm in there! Now I'm just waiting on SDSU. It's so exciting to be almost done with this process.

Reactions: 6 users
anyone have experience with getting schools to match awards? i just got a random 50% scholarship from columbia but harvard is definitely my first choice (though they haven't even sent aid yet)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have experience with getting schools to match awards? i just got a random 50% scholarship from columbia but harvard is definitely my first choice (though they haven't even sent aid yet)

I've heard that some people have been able to negotiate pretty well with schools in the past to match offers or even just generally increase their offers, but I personally have no experience in that. I would love to know if anyone has any tips/thoughts!

I've heard that some people have been able to negotiate pretty well with schools in the past to match offers or even just generally increase their offers, but I personally have no experience in that. I would love to know if anyone has any tips/thoughts!
just called them and they said they don't match, ever. cool!

Reactions: 2 users
just called them and they said they don't match, ever. cool!
They’re also not great about financial aid...my friend goes there now and she had a really hard time getting anything, and she was coming straight from undergrad with $60k in loans

They’re also not great about financial aid...my friend goes there now and she had a really hard time getting anything, and she was coming straight from undergrad with $60k in loans
ha i wonder what my med school debt gets me

Anyone gonna go to UCLA's admit day?
I really want to, but I don't think it'll be financially feasible for me~ $290-370 for the flight from where I am. I visited the campus (when it was mostly empty) during winter break when I was in Socal, so I know what it looks like... just don't have too much of a feel for the school atmosphere quite yet. It looks like I'll have to decide between UCLA and Berkeley without going to their admit days so I have 2 ways I'm thinking of approaching it:
  1. Connect with/talk to as many current students as I can about their experiences in the program, living there, etc.
  2. Try to come to visit on a later day in March when flights are cheaper and ask for a private meeting with admissions, faculty, student reps, etc - although idk how ideal this option would be due to time & $ for travel
  3. Or maybe the $300 is worth it?!?!
Any insights or other suggestions into deciding without visiting would be appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Surprise this morning came from Columbia offering half tuition from the Dean's Scholarship Fund! BLESS. I was kind of upset they hadn't offered anything when I got my first financial aid letter, even though I know Columbia's merit scholarships are few and far between. Anyone know if Dean's applies both years? Going to make a call later today if possible, but if anyone knows...

This is my exact situation and question, too!

Hey guys,

Was just wondering whether anyone knows about funding with regards to international students? Basically funding outside of FAFSA.

I'll be looking into options but if anyone has a heads up or knows anything, would really appreciate it!

Thanks loads in advance!

Hey guys,

Was just wondering whether anyone knows about funding with regards to international students? Basically funding outside of FAFSA.

I'll be looking into options but if anyone has a heads up or knows anything, would really appreciate it!

Thanks, loads in advance!

Same here. I can't seem to find a lot of options and whenever I ask the universities, they just direct me towards private lenders.

Same here. I can't seem to find a lot of options and whenever I ask the universities, they just direct me towards private lenders.

Oh man thats a shame. Will keep looking and will be sure to post what I find here - aah. Did you also check whether there is funding from your home country? I feel like there would be some. And there are alao some scholarships for people from certain countries.

Has anyone heard from UNC lately? :bang: I'm on week 12 of waiting...

Last edited:
Shocked to have just gotten accepted to UMich for HBHE. I applied in mid-November and hadn't heard back so I just assumed I'd be getting a rejection email soon. My application was probably put in the "maybe" pile a few times and then re-evaluated when they still had some spots left? Just a guess. So for those who haven't heard back from schools you applied to a while ago - don't lose hope!

Now to figure out the COA for UMich...

I was thinking the exact same thing, especially because according to an earlier post first round of scholarships had already gone out!

According to the math I did based on an IS COA, I'm think OOS will be estimated at around 71-72K :(

Anyone planning on attending JHU's admit day on 3/8?

who's over the 10 week mark for jhu?

Oh man thats a shame. Will keep looking and will be sure to post what I find here - aah. Did you also check whether there is funding from your home country? I feel like there would be some. And there are alao some scholarships for people from certain countries.
The Canadian government seems to have some options. But I think they max out at a few thousand per year. I haven't had the time to apply to those but hopefully, I get to them soon. I wonder what the chances are of getting funding once we start attending the university.

who's over the 10 week mark for jhu?
Me! I got in touch with them earlier this week because I was a bit past week 12. Their office of admissions gave me an email contact for my department to inquire there, and I quickly got a reply confirming my suspicion that I have been waitlisted. She also kindly invited me to inquire about my application at any time. Perhaps try contacting someone from your department.

Admissions email from CO school of public health today!!! :soexcited: Now to wait to see if the portal changes for Harvard are real or not so I can stop obsessing over checking my email. Congrats to everyone so far!

I was thinking the exact same thing, especially because according to an earlier post first round of scholarships had already gone out!

According to the math I did based on an IS COA, I'm think OOS will be estimated at around 71-72K :(

Oof that is hefty.

Side note - I am also planning on attending JHU's admit day!

Waitlisted at Harvard for the SM80 program in Environmental Health. The fact that they won't be able to let me know until May if I get selected from the waitlist is troubling because I got into several other schools that are high on my list. But oh well, might be a blessing in disguise!

Reactions: 5 users
True! I'm so bummed I can't go to all the Visit Days and meet everyone!
Hey! I wanted to ask because I also got into Brown and BU and I see all of your amazing schools and wanted to know your overall thoughts about what you wanted to do with your MPH degree. Are you visiting any of your schools? I'm visiting Brown on 3/12

Also, does anyone have any thoughts and/or opinions about Brown University's MPH program? It's one of my top 2 choices, and an Ivy League, and I got a scholarship, so any advice would be truly appreciated? Especially if you're thinking about going to the Admitted student's day on 3/29

Got an email reply from Berkeley, "Thank you for your email. The Admission Committee has reviewed all applications holistically and made the admission decision. All applicants should be receiving the admission decision from the School shortly.
Thank you so much for your application and interest in the program."

This sounds like a rejection to me...but heads up to anyone who is waiting for Berkeley!

Reactions: 9 users
Also, does anyone have any thoughts and/or opinions about Brown University's MPH program? It's one of my top 2 choices, and an Ivy League, and I got a scholarship, so any advice would be truly appreciated? Especially if you're thinking about going to the Admitted student's day on 3/29
I'm finishing up my MPH there now. Feel free to PM me! I'm also planning on being at admitted students day but it may not work out.

Got an email reply from Berkeley, "Thank you for your email. The Admission Committee has reviewed all applications holistically and made the admission decision. All applicants should be receiving the admission decision from the School shortly.
Thank you so much for your application and interest in the program."

This sounds like a rejection to me...but heads up to anyone who is waiting for Berkeley!

That doesn’t sound like a rejection!

Hey! I wanted to ask because I also got into Brown and BU and I see all of your amazing schools and wanted to know your overall thoughts about what you wanted to do with your MPH degree. Are you visiting any of your schools? I'm visiting Brown on 3/12

Hi! I have so many ideas about where I want to take this degree, let's chat privately!

Congrats to everyone on hearing back from schools so far, and good luck to everyone still waiting! I've learned so much from you guys on this thread and it's been a source of hope/excitement in this crazy stressful process. It's soo amazing to see that my future colleagues in the public health field are hands down the kindest, most supportive and empowering people I could only have hoped for!!

Just a suggestion for visit days-- since it seems like a lot of us cant make it to some visits, maybe we could start some sort of shared doc or thread where people who went to visits can share their thoughts about each school/answer questions for people who couldn't go? That way we can all help each other out with deciding on the right program and gain different perspectives about the schools!

Reactions: 17 users