MPH at SDSU or go for gold?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmbaile2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up a B.S. Health Management degree in May and I am thinking about graduate school. I am currently a student at Excelsior which is an online school with a current GPA of 3.3.

I work in Healthcare, and I love it. I would like to get a degree more geared toward public health; however I don’t want to completely rule out other sectors of industry. At this point I would like to go to a graduate school that overshadows my online undergrad. Perhaps I feel like I have something to prove, and don’t want to be judged by employers for having an online degree.

I would like to get an MPH degree with a focus in management, or an MPH/MBA dual degree.

I am basically considering two routes, either applying for graduate school right away. Or taking a couple of years to study and ace the GMAT, and build some more experience so I can apply to a prestigious school.

For the first option I am considering SDSU, mostly because I would love to live on the coast, it won’t cost very much money, and the program is CAHME accredited.

If I pursue the second option I would be looking at dual MPH/MBA degrees at places like Berkley, Emory, Boston ect…

Does anyone have any experience with the SDSU MPH program? Is it a respected program?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lean toward an MPH because I am reluctant to dedicate myself to private healthcare. An MPH seems to keep doors open for non-profit, government, and international job opportunities. And in combination with an MBA, I feel like I would have the best of both worlds if I want to merge back into the private sector later on.

At SDSU I would have to get my MBA separately from the MPH because you aren’t allowed to dual enroll in two graduate programs unfortunately.

I lean toward an MPH because I am reluctant to dedicate myself to private healthcare. An MPH seems to keep doors open for non-profit, government, and international job opportunities. And in combination with an MBA, I feel like I would have the best of both worlds if I want to merge back into the private sector later on.

At SDSU I would have to get my MBA separately from the MPH because you aren’t allowed to dual enroll in two graduate programs unfortunately.

an MHA won't limit you to private and an MPH in health administration/mgt won't limit you to non-profit. An MHA would open up doors for all those sectors you mentioned as well.

How does one weight the options between an MHA, MPH/MBA, and MBA with a focus on health management?

How does one weight the options between an MHA, MPH/MBA, and MBA with a focus on health management?

I'd choose the BEST program you can get into.

(Straight out of undergrad this would rule out top MBA programs)