MPH degree at Ivy school just for fun?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trustfundbaby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I come from a rich family, have four graduate degrees, and already have a very well paying job in a non-health field. How hard would it be to get into an MPH program at an ivy like Brown or Yale or Dartmouth, and preferably do the degree part time, just for fun without any real intention of using the degree after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

trustfundbaby said:
I come from a rich family, have four graduate degrees, and already have a very well paying job in a non-health field. How hard would it be to get into an MPH program at an ivy like Brown or Yale or Dartmouth, and preferably do the degree part time, just for fun without any real intention of using the degree after graduation?

Just apply and find out, make sure you tell them you're rich

trustfundbaby said:

... are you serious?

Are you interested in public health?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, here's an idea! I'll do the degree for you--I promise i'll share all the funny parts and amusing moments with you. I've already been accepted, so you could skip that tedious application step. You can just pay me the tuition money instead of the school!

I don't know why you're acting like this is a joke, this is completely serious. I have the cash and I'm interested in medicine but am not smart enough to get into an MD program. So why not a bull**** MPH or MS at a place like Dartmouth? I'd not only get Ivy prestige, but also medical school prestige. I mean I could impress girls at bars by telling them that I have a degree from Brown Medical School, or Dartmouth Medical School. Seems like a good fun way to make my prestigious educational background even more prestigious.

Only obstacle: my four other graduate degrees in unrelated disciplines. Would a place like Dartmouth Medical School hold it against me that I'm an unabashed degree collector?

this isn't necessarily a joke thread. i know of someone who collected up to the PhD level, worked with the Red Cross down in the antarctic for a year or two, and is a very recognized Professor and currently Dean of a huge portion of a university in Hong Kong - simply because his family is loaded rich so he spends all his time trying to collect "prestige" labels cause he doesn't have to focus on trying to provide for his family.

dunno about the answer to the OP though. can't imagine it's that difficult to get into MPH - but u'll have to somehow show the admissions committee at your desired school that the degree u want to pursue is somehow part of a larger plan. with 4 grad degrees already (and work unrelated to health), that might be hard to do.

trustfundbaby said:
Only obstacle: my four other graduate degrees in unrelated disciplines. Would a place like Dartmouth Medical School hold it against me that I'm an unabashed degree collector?

Sounds like you'd find it difficult to stay in one profession very long--unless you consider your profession to be academia.

trustfundbaby said:
I don't know why you're acting like this is a joke, this is completely serious. I have the cash and I'm interested in medicine but am not smart enough to get into an MD program. So why not a bull**** MPH or MS at a place like Dartmouth? I'd not only get Ivy prestige, but also medical school prestige. I mean I could impress girls at bars by telling them that I have a degree from Brown Medical School, or Dartmouth Medical School. Seems like a good fun way to make my prestigious educational background even more prestigious.

well I got mine undergrad at an ivy league so let me welcome you to the club. Ford starters, you can probably get into dartmouth it isn't that hard. That being said, unless the girl is really stupid, that plan won't work. Unless you plan on carrying your ID card around with you, you could just lie about it anyways. Plus, you'll have to explain that you only got a masters, and once you are in an ivy league school, it isn't a big club. There is still a hierarchy within, based on majors and schools, and don't expect to be drinking with a bunch of doctors with their arms wide open. If you want to do it, I suggest just doing it. What's the worst that can happen, you don't get in and it's back to mommy and daddy's money, no harm done.

trustfundbaby said:
I mean I could impress girls at bars by telling them that I have a degree from Brown Medical School, or Dartmouth Medical School. Seems like a good fun way to make my prestigious educational background even more prestigious.

:laugh: I really hope you're not serious........

trustfundbaby said:

The problem with this is that medical schools don't give out MPH degrees. Schools of Public Health do. So you wouldn't technically be a grad of Dartmouth Medical School, you'd be a grad of Dartmouth School of Public Health.

trustfundbaby said:

Many top-ranked MPH programs will not let you go part-time (I know my program didn't), so you would have to check with the individual school. Some schools have distance learning MPH programs that accomodate this, but they are usually aimed at clinicians or health professionals who are actively working the field but would like to improve their credentials. It doesn't seem like you would be a good candidate for this since you say you work in a non-health field and have no intent to make practical use of this degree.

trustfundbaby said:
Basically my goal is to be like this guy, except I won't tarnish my prestigious resume with any public schools:

http://www.benbolger.com/story.html
Take from the blog above:
As a further step toward this career direction, I left Washington and began studies at Yale Law School at age 19. However, in the final analysis, I was too young for law school; I lacked the necessary maturity and judgment that was required.

You sound like you're just like that guy already!

I would love to read your personal statemen on why do you want to go to X or Y school to do a MPH!! LOL.

Too bad Yale's public health program is under the School of Public Health, not the School of Medicine. If you REALLY want to be "in the med school" do their PA program. If you really want to impress chicks, why don't u just go out and buy a night club or a professional sports team?

I think the only one you could do part-time if you could call it that would be Hopkins online. Hopkins is not technically an ivy league school but its medical school and school of public health is undoubtedly one of the best in the world.