MPH Harvard versus MHS in johns hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bethavi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been admitted into both of these programs but im having a tough time deciding between the two. Unfortunately, neither programs are offering me financial aid so that cant be the basis of my decision.

The MPH program at Harvard is a 2 year program in population and international health and the MHS (master of health science) program at Hopkins is a one year program within the Environmental Science dept in the bloomberg school of pubic health.

My ultimate goal is to go to med school but i have a lot of interest in public health and that is why i have applied to these programs. I do not have any background in public health at all--I am graduating with a degree in biology.
Eventho med school is my goal as of now, if i like public health well enough i may change my mind!

Please let me know what you think
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Was just at Hopkins' day and I'm in the same boat (public health then med school).

Considering the MHS is more focused on research whereas the MPH for practitioners, either could work really well for you.

I would look at the curricula - which has a focus that interests you more - and how the two year program is set up. If you need to take classes for med school, take into consideration if a) the school will let you take classes elsewhere within the college; b) if getting to classes is easy and feasible (both HSPH and JHU BSPH are away from the undergrad campuses); and c) if you have time to fit studying for the MCAT, applications, extra classes, etc in your schedule.

I just spoke with my mentor who is on the admissions committee at UNC's med school and she told me taking science-based classes within the SPH would be very good for my application. I know JH offers several biochem and biomed courses that you could add on. Can't speak for Harvard as I dropped them from consideration before I started looking in depth at class offerings.

Your interest in PH should make you a stronger applicant and have either the MPH or MHS (if you get your MHS, you can always get an accelerated MPH during med school) would allow you to work in PH sectors once a clinician. I think it's a great decision on your part.

thanks very much for the info:)

Members don't see this ad :)
@bethavi: the 2 year MPH you speak of at HSPH must be the SM2 80 credit program. HSPH only has a 1 year MPH (42.5 credits). If its 2 years, its the Master of Science in PIH, which is 80 credits.

your decision therefore is between a MS degree and a MHS degree.

OOps that's what I meant!

healthpro1896-- I just sent you a private message! Could you please respond to that.
Thanks for the correction!