MPH - infectious disease and applied epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinnamonstick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am considering applying to MPH programs and doing some research. I am interested in infectious disease, particularly investigating/responding to/managing outbreaks. As far as MPH concentrations go, this seems to fall most under epidemiology. However, epidemiology is math based, and I don't love math. I would say I'm better than the average person at math, but it's not my main thing. I do love using computer programs, researching topics, analyzing data/information, and reading about viral outbreaks.

As far as learning more about the day to day realities of this career path, are there any particular resources you would recommend?

I have a BA in psychology and an Associate's degree in nursing, and have been working as a nurse, mostly in case management, community health and mental health; for a little over 10 years (I'm 35). I have management experience. I have always been interested in infectious disease and feel like I am hitting a bit of a dead end with nursing. I don't want have patient interactions be my primary focus, don't really like being a manager, and there are a lot of things I don't like about the nursing profession (no offense other nurses..). I am introverted, enjoy researching things and analyzing clinical information and reading about medicine, but have no interest in practicing/applying it.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there! I am going into an MPH program in epidemiology this fall and math has similarly not always been my strongest spot (for example, I got 95th percentile on GRE verbal and 67th on GRE math! After studying SO much, the time crunch killed me!) That being said, I was accepted to all the epi programs I applied to. Now, I haven't started the program yet, but I see epi as more statistics, coding, logic, data analysis etc. Biostats would be a different story and much more math heavy. I also think a large part of being an epidemiologist is more data-based, understanding how we deploy the scientific method in a public health setting and how to tell what is good data, how do we use it, etc.

Coursera has some intro to epi courses (you can do it without the certificate if you don't want to pay) that could give you a good flavor for the field. I would also reccomend reaching out to epidemiologists (perhaps alumni from your undergraduate institution) and chat with them about their day-to-day. I get the feeling that entry level epi might be more in the weeds with data and then a few years out you are more in a management role, but not sure how it would work for a mid-level career switcher like you.

Best of luck!

I would recommend You try to finish MPH and apply to CDC fellowship ( they have few and if You are nurse with MPH You could potentially qualify for EIS - it is like investigator , check out some stories people share , its incredible.
good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an infectious disease epi. You will use statistics and mathematical models, but they are generated using computer programs. You learn how to code in R, SAS, etc rather than go too deeply into the math itself. I am like you; math isn't my passion, but I love outbreak investigation and overall data analysis. I would look up MPH programs that specifically have infectious disease epi programs to see if the curriculum appeals to you. For example, Yale has the Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases program that is a blend of epi and infectious disease courses. Schools such as BU and Columbia have infectious disease certificates that you could add on. There are plenty of options.