mph or mha for img

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mewpuss123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i am an international medical graduate with green card.i tried to get into a residency failed and i m still trying.in the meanwhile i m looking to study either an mph or an mha but i m very confused regarding both.i have entertained the possibilty that i might never get a residency and if that happens which degree mph or mha would give me better job prospects?i live in michigan with my family.i have got lots of calls from different universities regarding the mph or mha admission.i really do not know what r the pros and cons of taking mph or mha.i keep on hearing an mph is worthless from different people.there r others who say mph is more useful to get into residency in the long run .others say an mha has better job options.i m so confused.pls help.whats d average base salary of a recent mph grad and that of a recent mha grad.anyone who has been in my situation pls reply.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think MPH or MHA is good for residency. Those degrees take 1 to 2 years and they put you out of medical practice. Residencies don't want to hire someone 3 or more years out of medical school because by then they will have forgotten some of their medical knowledge. Nobody wants to have to reteach a resident.

Just keep applying, unless you really want an MPH or MHA.

MPH is the more common degree, MHA is more related to health administration which might be useful if you want to be a management level physician. However, MPH is useful for research, public health, and possibly management if you do a management concentration.