MPH programs in state schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyhey20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience/information about cal state university mph programs? I was looking at SDSU, Cal State Fullerton and Cal State Long Beach. I'm a Cali resident, and I would love to stay here for my MPH, but I think my chances are kinda low. I have a low gpa of 2.6 from a UC school with a B.S. in Biological Sciences, and I know that my chances of getting into a good program are lower. I have good letters of rec and experience, but I just don't know. I was wondering if perhaps cal state schools are easier to get into? Any advice on some schools that look at the whole package (gre, gpa, letters of rec, experience, etc.) rather than just stats alone? Any schools more lenient than others? Thanks a lot!!! To everyone on this forum, thanks for all your help, I've posted here before and everyone is really helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any first had experience with cal states, but a prof of mine said that SDSU program is solid.

SDSU is the best bet in CA aside from UCLA and UCB. Other schools have PH programs, but not full blown schools (USC, UCI, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
SDSU is the best bet in CA aside from UCLA and UCB. Other schools have PH programs, but not full blown schools (USC, UCI, etc).

Isnt CSUN supposed to be a good school? [ i mean obv. UCLA and UCB are better] Is SDSU accredited? and sry to bring the q again.....but any idea about LLU?:p

CSUN only has a program and NOT a school

SDSU is ceph accredited

no one knows about llu

Isnt CSUN supposed to be a good school? [ i mean obv. UCLA and UCB are better] Is SDSU accredited? and sry to bring the q again.....but any idea about LLU?:p

The 4 accredited schools by ASPH and CEPH in California are: UCLA, UCB, SDSU, and LLU.

I only considered schools of public health, not programs. Programs are harder to get solid information on because they are generally housed within other schools (generally medicine) and don't have as many faculty, students, concentrations, or course offerings.

CSUN only has a program and NOT a school

SDSU is ceph accredited

no one knows about llu

LLU is a Adventist school. It's also small with little funding. They only offer one PhD (in Epi). That's all I know about it. Stop asking this question, if nobody replied the first time, that means regular browsers of this forum don't know anything.

The 4 accredited schools by ASPH and CEPH in California are: UCLA, UCB, SDSU, and LLU.

I only considered schools of public health, not programs. Programs are harder to get solid information on because they are generally housed within other schools (generally medicine) and don't have as many faculty, students, concentrations, or course offerings.

LLU is a Adventist school. It's also small with little funding. They only offer one PhD (in Epi). That's all I know about it. Stop asking this question, if nobody replied the first time, that means regular browsers of this forum don't know anything.

@ Stories and Regression : I get the point.. the only reason i kept posting again and again is not for you guys.. but for some1 who might not bother 2 go back 2 old threads .. [some1 new who might have a clue about tht school... ]

BUT I GUESS REGULAR BROWSERS WOULD GO CHECK ALL THE FORUMS..SO i ll not be posting the q again..

@ Stories and Regression : I get the point.. the only reason i kept posting again and again is not for you guys.. but for some1 who might not bother 2 go back 2 old threads .. [some1 new who might have a clue about tht school... ]

BUT I GUESS REGULAR BROWSERS WOULD GO CHECK ALL THE FORUMS..SO i ll not be posting the q again..

Don't post in forums much? Search is a useful tool. It's at the top of the toolbar on the forum. I did this search for you to get an idea of how much people know about Loma Linda: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=11058076.

Of the threads, I found this one to have the most info on LLU: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=396488&highlight=Loma+linda.

try and get a really good gre score, you really need to focus on going to an accredited program.
I am a Texas resident, graduate of UT-Austin and was accepted to SDSU with a 3.3 gpa and a bad gre score. my other app. materials were solid though. i was drawn to the concurrent programs SDSU offers, especially the MPH/MA in Latin American Studies. I just visited the campus, liked it, and although i was unable to meet with anyone except a clueless secretary at the office of public health, i met the director of the concurrent program in the latin american studies office and he put my mind at ease, answered questions etc...
I got into some more prestigious schools like UT, BU and GWU but i really like the concurrent program (im was an anthro and spanish undergrad) and the location. If anyone knows more about the MPH/MA i'd be really interested to hear some other opinions. Im wondering whether the extra time and money will really be worth it when i graduate.

CSU-Fullerton is CEPH accredited. The program is fairly new, however they are securing a good amount of funding for research programs. I would honestly look at what your focus of study is and research the professors at each insitution. For myself, it's clinical health psychology with a focus in HIV/AIDS... CSUF had two professors that are highly respected and would be great to have on a thesis committee.

I would recommend setting up a meeting with a Dept. Chair, or at least one professor that background interests you. They will usually be up front and honest if you're a good match for the program.

In regards to GPA and such, speak with each program about taking grad level classes through Extended Ed (or whatever each school calls it)... this will allow you to prove your ability to perform at the graduate level and will give you the opportunity to network with professors you might want to work with.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: