MPH programs ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

negg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, For me it's been difficult to determine which MPH programs are higher end and which are easier to get into.

Specifically for the schools through SOPHAS, can people write schools in order of difficulty to get accepted into.

I'm really trying to find a safety school so I don't end up without any acceptances!

Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be negative or criticize your approach, though this is a pretty non-effective method for applying to MPH programs. The reason being that each program has different requirements, and each school has different criteria when it comes to their admission decisions. For example, select programs like Emory and Johns Hopkins, require you to have work experience, and for certain program you're required to have at least six months of international work or volunteer experience. Admission for MPH programs is not as cut-throat as undergrad, though it's still competitive as a result of increasing popularity and a larger demand for public health health jobs. With that said, you do not need a 3.8 GPA and score in the 98th percentile on your GREs in order to get into a Top 10 Public Health program. Since an MPH is a professional degree, your work experience and accomplishments (preferably in a health setting) are really taken into emphasis when admission counselors are reviewing your file. As each program states, a holistic approach is really evident when it comes to choosing the class.

The most competitive programs to get into, although vary by departments, tend to be Harvard and London School of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. Schools that tend to have a higher acceptance rate are UMiami, GWU, and Boston University.

If you can be more specific about what area of public health you're interested in, i.e. Epidemiology or Community Health and Behavioral Sciences, then I can give you a more clear cut answer as to what programs might be good "safeties" for you. I hope this helps and was not too derogatory towards you.

Reactions: 1 user