Mph rd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FakeEmpire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so longtime lurker first time poster. I hope I am unique enough to make my own thread!!

I applied for the 2013 cycle, applied late and I am still waiting to hear back. (Mainly due to getting discouraged about my application but I was also married this summer and that really set me back)

Non traditional applicant (somewhat)
2008 BS from good state school
2011 Master of Public Health from top 5 state school
cGPA 3.59, sGPA: 3.65, MCAT: 25N
I know my MCAT is super low but I just wanted to see if anyone thought I had a chance due to my unique EC’s

I am unique because I am also a dietitian. My graduate degree was a coordinated program so I also obtained my credentials to be a dietitian while in school. This means that I obtained over 2500 hours working in diverse clinical and community settings ranging from inner city hospitals to rural Indian Reservations. My program’s emphasis was on rural and underserved populations and my whole platform in applying to medical is to help shape the future of healthcare. Health promotion and prevention!

Other EC’s are research assistant while in grad school. 2nd author on published paper related to childhood obesity, several poster presentations, great letters of rec. Free Clinic volunteer, leadership scholarship recipient, among other community involvement. Currently, I work for a grant funded program aimed at recruiting physicians to work in rural and underserved areas. Before graduate school I worked for a state division of public health.

I am applying DO but mainly due to the better location of a few MD schools (family issues) I would really like to get into an MD school. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.