MPH/Spanish in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goatman6239

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS3 interested in doing an OB/GYN residency in NYC. I have been reading the posts here for a while (very helpful) and wanted to get a few of my own questions answered:

1- I am taking next year to get an MPH (w/thesis) and would like to do some OB/GYN research during that time. How much will the MPH affect my interview/ranking? Does it help getting into some programs more than others?

2- How much will fluency in Spanish help my chances of getting into a good NYC program? Do they consider that?

3- My preclinical grades are not good, my 3rd year grades are good, my board scores are 50th percentile. Will poor performance in the preclinical years prevent me from even being considered for interview at the better university programs (i.e will my app be deleted without even being reviewed thoroughly)?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on deciding to get your MPH!!!! I am currently getting mine (graduated from med school last year and i plan to start residency next year...pending matchin 8 days). i think it will make you a much stronger candidate in ob/gyn...especially for schools that have faculty with interests in epidemiology or working with underserved populations. perhaps you could tie some of your spanish skills into your public health interests...get on board with someone at your public health school who is working on health disparities in hispanic communities....travel to a spanish-speaking country and do "field-level" public health if you have the chance. beware--don't get overloaded with the research...if you are planning on doing the MPH in a year, you will be EXTREMELY busy!!!!
GOOD LUCK...hope this helps!