MPH vs. Peace Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notasciencemajor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a rising senior in undergrad planning on taking several years before applying to medical school (probably 4-5) and I'm trying to decide between pursuing an MPH and volunteering in the Peace Corps straight out of undergrad. I'm particularly interested in global health/infectious disease, so both options seem like they would be great. I just don't know if one would provide certain advantages over the other. I would be a community health outreach volunteer in Kenya, which is honestly a dream job, but I'd also really like to get more formal public health education so I can't decide what to do!

Any insight would be much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm a rising senior in undergrad planning on taking several years before applying to medical school (probably 4-5) and I'm trying to decide between pursuing an MPH and volunteering in the Peace Corps straight out of undergrad. I'm particularly interested in global health/infectious disease, so both options seem like they would be great. I just don't know if one would provide certain advantages over the other. I would be a community health outreach volunteer in Kenya, which is honestly a dream job, but I'd also really like to get more formal public health education so I can't decide what to do!

Any insight would be much appreciated :)
For med school application purposes, Peace Corps >>>>>>>MPH. You can always do the MPH later, including making it part of the med school years.

Reactions: 2 users
An MPH does nothing for a med school app.

Being in the Peace Corps is one of the most altruistic things you can do. It's a major plus for a med school applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For med school application purposes, Peace Corps >>>>>>>MPH. You can always do the MPH later, including making it part of the med school years.

An MPH does nothing for a med school app.

Being in the Peace Corps is one of the most altruistic things you can do. It's a major plus for a med school applicant.

Awesome, I was kinda hoping this would be the answer :) :) :)

PC is a fantastic option, I'm an RPCV entering med school now if you have any questions, although I worked in a different part of the world.

Reactions: 1 user
PC is a fantastic option, I'm an RPCV entering med school now if you have any questions, although I worked in a different part of the world.
I will for sure ask if any questions come up!! Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user