MPH vs. Peace Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

notasciencemajor

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I'm a rising senior in undergrad planning on taking several years before applying to medical school (probably 4-5) and I'm trying to decide between pursuing an MPH and volunteering in the Peace Corps straight out of undergrad. I'm particularly interested in global health/infectious disease, so both options seem like they would be great. I just don't know if one would provide certain advantages over the other. I would be a community health outreach volunteer in Kenya, which is honestly a dream job, but I'd also really like to get more formal public health education so I can't decide what to do!

Any insight would be much appreciated 🙂
 
Hi everyone,

I'm a rising senior in undergrad planning on taking several years before applying to medical school (probably 4-5) and I'm trying to decide between pursuing an MPH and volunteering in the Peace Corps straight out of undergrad. I'm particularly interested in global health/infectious disease, so both options seem like they would be great. I just don't know if one would provide certain advantages over the other. I would be a community health outreach volunteer in Kenya, which is honestly a dream job, but I'd also really like to get more formal public health education so I can't decide what to do!

Any insight would be much appreciated 🙂
For med school application purposes, Peace Corps >>>>>>>MPH. You can always do the MPH later, including making it part of the med school years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For med school application purposes, Peace Corps >>>>>>>MPH. You can always do the MPH later, including making it part of the med school years.

An MPH does nothing for a med school app.

Being in the Peace Corps is one of the most altruistic things you can do. It's a major plus for a med school applicant.

Awesome, I was kinda hoping this would be the answer 🙂 🙂 🙂
 
PC is a fantastic option, I'm an RPCV entering med school now if you have any questions, although I worked in a different part of the world.