MPH ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calbears84

professional baller
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you who are in MD/MPH or planning to apply to MD/MPH, why do you choose to get a MPH? Is MPH ever useful when you are practicing as a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go into Epidemiology or Infection Control, the MPH is useful.

I did mine in health administration and policy, which I think will be quite useful in practice. It gave me a very good background in the business aspects of medicine with classes in health planning, policy, economics, finance, quality, etc. I also chose to do a separate certificate program in healthcare quality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Similar to DrMom, I am currently pursuing an MPH in Health Management and Policy at the University of Michigan, and it couldn't have proven to be more helpful. I am learning a great deal about the US healthcare system. To me, I feel that I've gained a more matured perspective of the medical field, understanding the need for interdisciplinary collaboration, keeping up to date with the new technologies that affect healthcare as well as the issues surrounding the management of physicians.

In general, an MPH program can give you the knowledge and skills to more properly navigate the healthcare system as a doctor. Plus, if you have any desire to be in an administrative position, you will most likely be a better candidate than other physicians (all other things being equal, that is).

with the new threat of bioterrrorism (there is massive influx of money coming from the feds to fund state health offices in the next 5 years), and the possible attention to preventive medicine as a cost cutting efficiency measure in todays world of managed care, getting a background in public health could be very useful in these times.

I am interested in pursuing a MPH in Health Management and Policy. I was wondering if you know of any programs that can be done in one year. what i mean is starting....let's say..summer of 2003 through fall 2003, spring 2004 and finish up in summer of 2004. thanks for your help

there's a program in Dartmouth College for a year. I'm going there this fall...it's their first time offering a MPH program...check it out...

you'll have to contact the schools individually to see how you can fulfill all requirements in just one year. it usually involves taking some summer courses, but there are definitely a few who do it at Michigan.

CalBears,

Did you check with Berkeley? They have a school of PH.

What I have found is that schools are more likely to allow you to do the program in a year if you are an MD or in med school (the perks start early). I would caution though, you learn less in a year than you would in two years. I did my MPH at UCLA 5 years ago and now am starting Med School. That is the hard way, but the PH perspective is now a part of me in a way that it would not be for others.

PH is good because it gives you a different way of looking at health and health care. Physicians typically only view the patient that is directly in front of them. PH looks at the whole population. It is worthwhile from my perspective.

As far at the BioTerrorism money goes, there is an influx, but I am not yet sure if it will be spent to enhance the infrustructure as far as personnel is concerned. It is more along the lines of better lab equipment, better communication, better surveillance, etc. All of these are desperately needed, but do not jump on the PH bandwagon because of BioT, do it because you think prevention is best, etc., etc.

i completely agree with Epi. i'm about to embark on the second year of my health management and policy program, and would have felt quite rushed if i tried to finish all the requirements in just one year. there were a few students in my program who did that, but they were often removed from the rest of the student body because they had such a huge courseload and knew that they wouldn't be seeing us the next year.

though two years may seem like a big commitment, it's well worth it and actually goes by pretty quickly. plus, you'll be giving yourself the time to explore the many realms of public health, from epidemiology to health behavior and education. ultimately, though, it's up to the individual and his/her situation. good luck! :clap: :clap: