MRI Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juanbryan88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This message is for anyone who has had experiences with children and MRI, or an MRI procedure in general. I am conducting a research project in which I am trying to develop some sort of tool (book, video, etc.) that a child patient can take advantage of before going into an actual MRI procedure. This product will be used to clarify any misunderstood concepts about what the patient is about to experience. If anyone has had any MRI experience whatsoever, has seen a child's reaction or has watched a child go through an MRI procedure, worked with a child during an MRI procedure, has a child who has had an MRI before, etc., please share with me your story. I would like to know information on how the child was relaxed before the procedure, the worries of the child patient, how the child reacted after the procedure, how he/she reacted during the procedure, and so on. This information will greatly aid me in my study. Also, anyone who has gone through an MRI procedure is welcome to tell me how they felt, thought, or any of the above described. Thanks to all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

juanbryan88 said:
This message is for anyone who has had experiences with children and MRI, or an MRI procedure in general. I am conducting a research project in which I am trying to develop some sort of tool (book, video, etc.) that a child patient can take advantage of before going into an actual MRI procedure. This product will be used to clarify any misunderstood concepts about what the patient is about to experience. If anyone has had any MRI experience whatsoever, has seen a child's reaction or has watched a child go through an MRI procedure, worked with a child during an MRI procedure, has a child who has had an MRI before, etc., please share with me your story. I would like to know information on how the child was relaxed before the procedure, the worries of the child patient, how the child reacted after the procedure, how he/she reacted during the procedure, and so on. This information will greatly aid me in my study. Also, anyone who has gone through an MRI procedure is welcome to tell me how they felt, thought, or any of the above described. Thanks to all in advance.
There is something like this already. I saw it on the news/dateline/2020 type program. The kid gets a book explaining the procedure and the MRI room is setup with a video projector that projects cartoons on the wall for the kids to watch. Pretty Interesting.

The Kennedy Krueger institute at Johns Hopkins has a 'mock' MRI setup to simulate the experience for the kids withou tying up magnet time. It is pretty elaborate with recordings of the sound played back etc. This is mainly to be able to get awake kids into the magnet for functional MRI studies, but they might have published stuff on how it works.

Members don't see this ad :)
juanbryan88 said:

Kind of a moot point. At our institution, most kids under 10 years old get sedation so they'll sit still to get a good study.

hans19 said:
Kind of a moot point. At our institution, most kids under 10 years old get sedation so they'll sit still to get a good study.

Almost all younger children get sedated. the best place to ask info for this is the large children's hospitals. Most already have some sort of educational material, video, pamphlet, etc. for the kids that are a little bit older. Your best bet would be to contact those hospitals and talk to the sedation nurses.