MS-1 Interested in FM - Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boner

I just blue myself
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting med school this Summer and have an interest in FM. Could you offer some suggestions as to what I could do to explore FM a little more in depth? Am I pretty limited to shadowing first year, or do other opportunities exist?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be starting med school this Summer and have an interest in FM. Could you offer some suggestions as to what I could do to explore FM a little more in depth? Am I pretty limited to shadowing first year, or do other opportunities exist?

It's very dependent on what school you are at. I see you are going to DMU--if they have as much of an emphasis on primary care as TCOM did, I imagine you will have ample opportunities to explore FM before 3rd year.

If your school has a rural track, I'd recommend joining that, even if you don't think you want to have a rural practice. It can be a great way to get some very hands-on FM experience with more procedures than the typical suburban practice.

TX has a summer internship program in primary care designed for the summer between 1st and 2nd year--check to see if IA has one too. I did it and it was a great experience.

Best of luck.

TX has a summer internship program in primary care designed for the summer between 1st and 2nd year--check to see if IA has one too. I did it and it was a great experience.

Best of luck.

My folks are moving to TX, so if IA doesn't have a summer internship, TX may be a viable option. Thanks, SJ.

Members don't see this ad :)
My folks are moving to TX, so if IA doesn't have a summer internship, TX may be a viable option. Thanks, SJ.

I'm pretty sure you have to be enrolled at a TX medical school, unfortunately. But I bet IA has one, if not, create your own--it really just was a month of shadowing.

I recommend subscribing to the American Family Physician. It has great articles that are definitely useful for medical students. Also checkout the job listings, this will give you an idea of what positions are available when you finish training. I definitely agree with Sophie, rural experiences are a great way to see FM at its best.

Look for clinical FM experience outside your medical school, preferably in private practices. Many academic FM departments don't represent the specialty all that well (poorly-run clinics, predominantly Medicare/Medicaid patient panel, lack of continuity, etc.)

Look for clinical FM experience outside your medical school, preferably in private practices. Many academic FM departments don't represent the specialty all that well (poorly-run clinics, predominantly Medicare/Medicaid patient panel, lack of continuity, etc.)

Good tip, especially since I'm interested in learning a little bit about practice management in different settings (solo practice, low-overhead, cash-only, group practice, etc...) and would really like to gain exposure to EHR systems and other medical technology.

I definitely agree with Sophie, rural experiences are a great way to see FM at its best.

If you're allowed to do your 3rd year family medicine rotation off campus, I know a great doctor and teacher in a rural Iowa location, if you're interested. (PM me if you're interested).