MS degree useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phyozo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I'm a third year in college and considering taking a 5th year to enroll in a masters program at our school. Does a masters help in terms of getting accepted into med school? Also, if I do get a masters, do they still look at my undergraduate GPA? I'm trying to weigh and pros and cons of staying a 5th year because I will need to pay for that extra year myself.

Finally, I'm curious if anyone is doing this particular course of action...getting a BS and then an MS, not for GPA reasons, but simply to mature a little bit more and learn about the field before actually entering med school.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

theyll look at your undergrad and grad gpa separately, with less weight on grad gpa, cuz all grad programs inflate.

MS won't necessarily help you that much, just another set of letters after your name. Why do you have to pay it yourself? Most masters programs at least give you some stipend for research, unless it is an SMP, which then I'd have to question your "not a GPA" assertion.

It may help a little, but your undergraduate record is far more important in the admissions process. If you have done well in undergrad and did well on MCAT, I wouldn't bother with masters program.

Members don't see this ad :)
you know, I thought about getting MS degree after college. Wasn't sure if I wanted to go to med school for 100%, so I thought about delaying the decision by going to school for longer time.
Here are couple of my thoughts.

Pros: it all depends on what area you are getting your MS degree on. if you want MPH or MBA might be usefull, if you want to go into public health sector.

Cons: I don't think it will help you that much getting into med school. more depends on your MCAT score and GPA. For example, I got my BS, then worked for 2 years. And this guy I knew got his BS then MS (both from 'better' school than my undergrad) then worked (we both worked at the same place, and I think we both had similar area of study). And I ened up at 'better' med school then he did, mainly becuase, at least I think, my MCAT score was 4 points higher than his. Also beause he went to school for 1 extra year, he racked up $40,000+ on tuition I've also heard of people saying that if they get MS degree in sciene, they will be more prepared for med school. that may be so, but med school is expensive, and no matter what you still have to work hard at med school. so do you really want to spend couple thousand $ extra so it might help you with one class? (MS degree usually end up helping you with 1 class in med school)

So my advise: I could only tell you what worked for me. After undergrad, I worked at a neuropsych research lab for 2 year. I got to see patients, and do research at pretty good lab. Had good exposure to medical and research field. Unfortunately I didn't get to publish, but med school didn't seemed to mind that much. While I was working, I took my MCAT (I started my premed stuff during my senior year). So if you want to "mature a little bit and learn more about the field", try to see if you could find a job/research position at a medical field. And while you are working you will have more time to study for the MCAT, then in addition to taking a full course load.:thumbup:

Get your MS if it's something that really interests you rather than an application booster. I'm interested in infectious disease and public health so I went for the MPH. I could easily do that with a combined degree, but took the extra time to get my act together in terms of clinical experience and so on. If you have an interest, than by all means, but otherwise, it may be better to use the year working in a clinical setting.

if you are doing an MS to strengthen your application (specifically GPA), make sure it is in an area of the HARD SCIENCES. they won't consider anything else nearly as important as your undergrad stuff...

what are you looking to grab a master's degree in?

Our school has an integrated BS/MS program which basically means that in a combined time of 5 years, you'll get a BS and an MS...my particular degree will be in biochemistry/cell biology.

Right now, my undergrad stats are pretty decent (3.9, 33Q), but I suppose the bigger issue is really the fact that I don't "feel" ready to head off into med school. I'm a 3rd year right now and I suppose the idea of 5 more years of school (especially since, right now, im in the heart of difficult coursesloads + stresses from EC, other activities) seems overwhelming. If I had to be totally honest, the year to get a masters would really be giving myself a year to breathe and to really explore the area of medicine (through volunteer work and job shadowing) because in all honestly, I'm not 100% sure if medicine is exactly what I want to do (although it's definitely highest on the list right now).

I suppose what I'm really asking is, what would you do if you had the choice to go to med school, but weren't 100% sure about doing it when your dream suddenly became your goal, and you knew you'd have to live with all the consequences of choosing medicine, both good and bad.

Does any known of any masters programs that pay stipends? I thought most of them charged you....

theyll look at your undergrad and grad gpa separately, with less weight on grad gpa, cuz all grad programs inflate.

Not all grad programs inflate. Some grad programs are integrated with professional schools such as med schools, and vet schools. I'm not talking about SMPs either. Just curious if you have taken any core graduate courses to come up with the notion that all grad programs inflate?

The reason for the differentiation between grad and undergrad mainly resides with a few factors: (1) grad students are expected to maintain a 3.0 or better GPA. Anything below that can result in being booted out of the program, or losing financial aid, (2) grad school courses and programs cannot be compared to undergrad courses/programs. You are comparing apples and oranges. Our pharmacology program here is equal or harder than the med schools pharm course. Its taught by the same faculty. Is there an undergrad equivilent? Of course not. Therefore the student population are different, and the academic program are different. Looking at this from a statistical point of view, these are not homogenous populations and thus cannot be compared.

For whatever its worth though, there has been a trend towards rewarding those with high graduate GPA. UC Davis and other schools have given an "extra point" for maintaining a grad GPA of 3.8 or higher. This is analogous to the previous method of giving the "extra admission point" to those with undergrad GPAs of 3.7 or higher. The reasons being, they acknowledge the diversity of such applicants, and the fact that there is a need for physicians with a solid research background. JAMA published a paper on the need for more physician-scientists, and the drive towards "integrating medicine into biological sciences" (IMBS). Therefore you are seeing more programs focused on IMBS funded by say the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

How successful are people who have MS/MA and PhD degrees? Off the top of my head, I suggest looking at the Stanford website (http://med.stanford.edu/md/admissions/class_profiles.html):

Total = 86
Age = 24 (range 21-37)
Women = 41 (47%)
New Americans (born outside U.S.) = 24 (28%)
Underrepresented in Medicine = 19 (22%)
Advanced degrees = 15 (17%)
7 Ph.D. (3 pending)
8 Masters of Science (1 pending)

My response to the OP is if you just want to expand your horizons, and you don't have any undergrad GPA issues, then go for it. Graduate school can be a fun and rewarding experience. It will always be viewed in a positive way by med schools as well. In terms of paying for grad school, most programs pay for PhD students, however if you pick a good PI, then they may be willing to pay for you as well. I however agree with Dr.Z, undergrad grades are still the most important. Mainly because of the reasons I stated. If you are doing grad school just to make yourself more competative, than I would recommend reconsidering that notion. But if you are doing it to enhance your knowledge, then go for it.

your credentials look pretty good right now, so if i were you i would just go straight on applying to med school, however, everyone says that it really doesnt do anything but really...i think it does help you , not as much as you would like but it still has some influence on your acceptance. smp on the other hand is just for gpa boost and to show them that you are competitive in med school and can handle the rigorous curriculm. smp is pretty successful too...a lot of students who take that do get into med school the next time they apply.

I have been on two interviews and at both my GPA in my MS program was mentioned favorably. I was unsure how siginificant these grades would be, but as far as I can tell they have "boosted" my application.

I did not get into medical school my first application and ended up getting a MS in biology to strengthen my GPA and show the admissions committee I could handle graduate level classes. I also enjoyed the year because it really forced me to reevaluate my goals and allowed me to enter medical school the next year somewhat rejuvenated. It really helped in my case, but reevaluate your own circumstances and decide what's best for you.

The department at my school offered 2/3 tuition reduction and a TA/RA stipend. It was nice to get paid to go to school and do very little work for it.

anybody know of any tuition-free, research incorporating programs out there? the idea of a free education really appeals to me ;)

not letting this thread die!

Hello. I am sneaking in from the veterinary forum. I had applied unsuccessfully to schools of veterinary medicine and it was only after getting my master's in Anatomy and Neurobiology at Boston University School of Medicine, 3.85 GPA that I was accepted. As an additional incentive, while some of my class struggle with the transition to the courseload of medical school I have managed (somehow?!?)to A's on all my exams.;)