MS Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdapplicant2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering how much emphasis do medical schools place on the interviews. Here is why I ask, I was wait-listed at two schools in the 2007-08 application cycle. And I would probably have to apply again. This was the second time I got wait-listed at one of these schools, sucks.

Wanting to get feedback on my application, I called the admissions office for one of the schools. The person who picked up the phone gave me a breakdown of my application. Btw, I have a 29Q on MCAT and 3.75 as my GPA. She told me that since I was invited to interview twice and then put on a wait list both times, it is the interviews that did not go well. I find it confusing, and I'm not sure what are the real shortcomings in my application. Did she just make a casual inference? And, my MCAT scores are the real reason. Or, I'm just not a good match for them... Now I'm like should I even consider applying there again for the 3rd time..?..

Suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how much emphasis do medical schools place on the interviews. Here is why I ask, I was wait-listed at two schools in the 2007-08 application cycle. And I would probably have to apply again. This was the second time I got wait-listed at one of these schools, sucks.

Wanting to get feedback on my application, I called the admissions office for one of the schools. The person who picked up the phone gave me a breakdown of my application. Btw, I have a 29Q on MCAT and 3.75 as my GPA. She told me that since I was invited to interview twice and then put on a wait list both times, it is the interviews that did not go well. I find it confusing, and I'm not sure what are the real shortcomings in my application. Did she just make a casual inference? And, my MCAT scores are the real reason. Or, I'm just not a good match for them... Now I'm like should I even consider applying there again for the 3rd time..?..

Suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated. :)

I think she told you like it is. She has nothing to gain by misleading you - if it was your MCAT she would say so. When you get an interview, that generally means that you are acceptable "on paper." Two consecutive waitlists also says "interview issues" to me. If you're going to apply there a 3rd time I would strongly suggest trying to set up a mock interview to see what your weaknesses might be. Many premed advisors will do this for you.

From what you say it sounds like the interview is the issue. Usually, the interviewers "present" your application to the rest of the admissions committee. So you want the interviewer to come away from your meeting feeling excited about you. If they're luke-warm to you the rest of the committee picks up on that and you get waitlisted: good enough on paper to clear the hurdle, but didn't come across as the "best" fit for the school.

Find someone to mock interview you and give you feedback on your performance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you. From what I think of an interview gone bad twice is that the admissions committee thinks that I'm just not good enough for them. Can this even be changed...?.. I can definitely do the mock interviews. But can the interview issues from the past come to haunt my application again..

My premed adviser mentioned my weaknesses as:

1. a declining trend in gpa - but I have been able to change that by completing another major in the past year
2. mcat scores in the gray area - i'm currently planning on re-taking the mcat

these both are much objective things i can work on. Interviews, are more subjective..

If you get invited for an interview, it means that there's something about you that came across in your app that the adcoms liked. At that point, it's the interview that gets you in or keeps you out. If your interview goes really well and you're a "fit" for their program, you're likely to get an outright acceptance. If not, outright rejection.

The middle ground of waitlist is a bit different-- they liked you enough to offer an interview, but not quite enough to accept you right off the bat. That most likely means that the interview went pretty well, but the adcoms think that they might be able to find a better applicant later on, or one with a similar strength of interview but with better stats. Basically, they found what they believe to be a better fit in someone else (even if it isn't necessarily the case).

While that doesn't mean that you won't fit next cycle, you might want to:
1. consider applying more broadly (if you haven't done so already),
2. do something to boost your interview skills, or
3. improve your stats (mcat)-- so that if you have another interview that doesn't end with an outright acceptance, at least you'll be a stronger numerical candidate on the waitlist.

Good luck

You guys are awesome! I am studying to retake the mcat - August 26th.

That most likely means that the interview went pretty well, but the adcoms think that they might be able to find a better applicant later on, or one with a similar strength of interview but with better stats. Basically, they found what they believe to be a better fit in someone else (even if it isn't necessarily the case).

this was helpful, at least now i feel like taking the mcat again... earlier i was slightly depressed.