Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MS + Phd= try again med school?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by Sergius, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Sergius

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi to all, i'm new to this forum and i hope to find some good opinions. I enter med school in 2008 and drop out for personal reasons in my first year. I had a terrible experience, so i decided to move on with my live. I did a MS and now i'm finishing a PhD in neuroscience. For some reason i want to try again because research and medicine is my passion. The question is, what are my chances of getting in again? If i apply, will they know that i was a med student before or i can start from scratch? Is a DO school an option? Thanks all!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You had your chance and took a seat from someone else. It's time to move on.

You have to report on app forms if you matriculated anywhere to med school.

At my school, dropouts from ANY med school, with the possible exception for health reasons, are DOA here.

gyngyn likes this.
  4. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    So far, you've provided no reason why medical school is necessary or advisable in your situation. You can easily do medical research with a neuroscience PhD. My advice? Apply for post docs and continue moving on with your life. There was presumably a very good reason why you dropped out of med school seven years ago, and based on the admittedly limited info you provided, you don't need an MD in order to accomplish your career goals.

Goro and gyngyn like this.
  5. MSclerosis

Pre-Medical
    US MD schools will not look favorably upon your previous exit.

You could give international schools a shot. At the end of the day, if you want to be an MD-PhD neuroscientist (with a focus on research), how much time do you want to spend with patients anyway?

There are many MD/PhD faculty members at top universities that do full-time research instead of seeing patients.

What are you looking to do with your degree?

Goro and gyngyn like this.